Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Z
    Z
    BSM,
    Does your son have his own digital watch with countdown timer and the ability to set alarms?

My DS7 has a poor time sense, but can be quite obsessive about obeying a timer that he sets himself. If he never develops a good timesense, he will hopefully always have that as a mechanic to manage his time. If he misses a schedule, then the discussion is about how to improve his tool use (set the timer for 5 minutes before bath time) or improving his decision making (a level takes three minutes, I have two minutes left I should stop now)rather than changing the schedule.

lol... oops missed ultramarina's while I was typing a response smile

Last edited by Zen Scanner; 03/12/13 01:27 PM. Reason: late to the party
    U
    U
    His own digital watch is an even better idea. (My DD would never agree to wear a digital watch--she doesn't like the way they look.)

I've also considered getting a visual timer, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Timer-LLC-8%2522-Inch/dp/B000J5OFW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363120392&sr=8-1&keywords=visual+timer

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...=1363120392&sr=8-6&keywords=visual+timer

S
    S
    I would recommend against that specific model. I bought it last summer with high hopes, but while it does work as advertized it takes more than a minute to change the time frown.

Fine if you want to always use it for a given interval, hell if you want to use it for very different things (you have 30mn to do your homework, we are leaving in 5 minutes, you need to read for 20mn...) as you have to go through a rather lengthy set-up sequence every. single. time.

A deal breaker for us. It has been used twice and collected dust since then.

G
    G
    If you need a simple timer, we love the VisTimer app. We have it on the iphones and ipads. It's fast to set and change the time you want to measure. It has audio cues (early cues if you want as a warning). It has a minute/second countdown and it also makes a visual circle of the time that slowly disappears as time passes for a visual cue. We were going to buy the Learning Resources timer but found this to be much cheaper and way more portable!

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by BSM
    We try to negotiate a time with him (e.g., 5 more minutes of video games then take a shower) and remind him of that time once or twice.

This solves it for my DS8. I'll say "15 more minutes then it's brush teeth (or whatever) time."

After the time elapses, he's usually (like, 90% of the time) totally fine. If we don't warn him, sometimes he's fine too, or sometimes I'll hear "you forgot to warn me!!" This usually occurs if there's a secondary reason, like he's tired, has a cold, etc. Then, depending what the issue is and the time involved, I'll either say "ok, five more minutes" or "sorry bud - sometimes in life you don't get a warning." Then he'll say "aw!!" and pretend pout, but comply.

(We use the timer on the stove, or one of those twisty egg timers, or the timer function on one of their iPods)

Last edited by CCN; 03/12/13 04:14 PM.
    U
    U
    Yeah, I was actually thinking there was surely a great app for this purpose. (No iPads/smartphones in our house.)

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    I think most ALL kids (and adults!)are capable of having a meltdown/tantrum/whatever, if they think that will get them off the hook or get them what they want etc, if other "approaches" aren't working for them!!

I know several autistic kids who do this- and I would venture to say that for these kids it is a "learned behavior" b/c when they have a tantrum? when they explode/act out? The mom gives in. Every time! And even if she doesn't give in, she still in a way does- b/c while she is yelling or arguing with kiddo- he's still doing just what he wanted to be still doing- usually playing a video game or maybe not wanting to go inside a building etc.

*I'm not trying to get into parenting debate or that these gals may need gentle reminders that consistency /following thru etc is important, ***trust me- I tell them! (very gently and only if they ask my opinion/advice)

Also, yes agree that #1 is setting clear goals/outcomes in way child understands, then following through- but for outbursts etc, finding the kids TRIGGER- very important. And then learning what works best to avoid setting that trigger off, o how to get around it or even get thru it.

For my DS6 when younger if he started to show increased signs of anxiety, there was always a trigger.

I think I got off topic....
    Anyways, Thank you for book suggestion,
    I'm going to check this out from library also, I love reading new stuff,new ideas. Can always learn something new that will be helpful smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    ah, I should add that I didn't mean that is ONLY reason these kids would have outburst! Just that most are "capable" of that.

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

G
    G
    Originally Posted by cc6
    I think most ALL kids (and adults!)are capable of having a meltdown/tantrum/whatever, if they think that will get them off the hook or get them what they want etc, if other "approaches" aren't working for them!!

I know several autistic kids who do this- and I would venture to say that for these kids it is a "learned behavior" b/c when they have a tantrum? when they explode/act out? The mom gives in. Every time! And even if she doesn't give in, she still in a way does- b/c while she is yelling or arguing with kiddo- he's still doing just what he wanted to be still doing- usually playing a video game or maybe not wanting to go inside a building etc.

*I'm not trying to get into parenting debate or that these gals may need gentle reminders that consistency /following thru etc is important, ***trust me- I tell them! (very gently and only if they ask my opinion/advice)

I agree that this can sometimes be the case. Then you have kids like my DS8. I have never given in to a tantrum. If you speak with him when he is calm he can analyze history and tell you that when he has a tantrum he gets none of what he wants and it leads to a worse outcome for him. He doesn't get to do the activity he was doing while he tantrums- as I physically stop it (turn off tv, take by hand and remove, etc...). YET- he only recently at 8 has stopped having tantrums on a regular basis. Transitions just are hard for him. Setting clear expectations, giving "almost time" warnings and remaining calm in the face of his disappointment are key for us- but even then we have no guarantee he won't melt. Thankfully, age seems to be an issue and he is slowly coming to a point of maturity where we can begin to sigh a little breath of relief.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    I'll take a stab at summarizing.

Overarching idea: Kids do well if they can. If they melt down, it's not because they are defiant, it's because they can't do whatever it is they are being asked to do.

Explosions stem from predictable problems, that appear under predictable circumstances, that generally stem from lagging skills. For example, my DD9 is very cognitively rigid, and has a great deal of difficulty coping when her day does not go the way she expected it would. To get rid of the explosions, you need to support learning the lagging skills.

The best time to solve problems is not in the middle of an explosion, but well beforehand.

The framework for solving problems before they happen has three steps: 1. Empathy - get the child's take on what his needs are that are not being met in the situation. 2. [Can't remember the assigned name of this one] Get the adult's concerns with the existing pattern of behavior on the table. 3. [Can't remember this name, either] Brainstorm solutions, and test them by seeing if they meet both the child's needs and the adult's needs.

2. Define the problem or concern (of both parties... if the child's concern is ignored it won't work, so both adult and child concern must be identified)
    3. Invitation (invite the child to contribute ideas for a solution)

...just reading about it now smile

Actually I'm reading "Lost at School" in which he covers the same principal, but more for teachers than parents. The scenarios he demonstrate involve classroom students, and the CPS process includes the school team, student and parents.

Same principles though. It occurred to me as I'm reading that I think one of the reasons my kids are less explosive than they used to be is because I've tried to be more collaborative with them in general. I'm still more of a "plan A, impose my will" type of person, but I've discovered by trial and error that if we talk about what's upsetting them, and if I just shut up and LISTEN (lol), it works wonders.

A very wise EA friend of mine put me on this path when my two kids were toddlers... if one of them would be acting out, she'd offer an explanation as to why... rather than offering a suggestion of how to control it. This combined with the theory that "every behaviour communicates something" (autism training) has been really enlightening. So the "step 1, empathy" and "step 3, invitation" were already in place for us. What I need to work on is defining what the key concern is for each behaviour.

For instance, this morning DS8 didn't want to make his own breakfast. On the surface, that appears to be the concern, but in reality there's a "why" beneath that, which I need to focus more on, rather than reverting to plan A... (turns out he just didn't feel like doing it - I can definitely relate to that). We spent about 3-4 minutes discussing why he didn't think he should do it, and then finally I said "You know, if you'd just gone into the kitchen and made breakfast rather than trying to get out of having to do it, you'd be eating right now." ...he then said "Fiiine! ok." and went into the kitchen. Not exactly like the book illustrates, but there was no meltdown smile I think the key was that I heard him out and validated his feelings.

Last edited by CCN; 03/24/13 12:06 PM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM