Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 176 of 268 1 2 174 175 176 177 178 267 268
    S
    S
    On the way home from school, we were playing "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash. DS6 and I were both singing along, which was fun enough. Then my son says "He should definitely go so he can explore the world! If he stays he'll get bored!"

It cracked me up that my son was the first person in twenty years that I'd ever heard answer the question!

DD is spearheading (okay-- driving. She is DRIVING the bus) an effort on behalf of her AP Literature class to turn her... um... unorthodox 'vision' of Hamlet into...

Ham-Ham, the Musical.

Envision Silence of the Lambs meets Spongebob Squarepants somewhere in the middle of An American in Paris.

It is to include musical numbers worthy of Busby Berkeley with titles as varied as "Yo-yo-YO-YOrick!" and "See-ya/Whiplash" (capping a tender 'love' scene with Opie, the doomed girl who wakes up and smells the coffee when Ham-Ham offers up a dowry of... an STD and his undying devotion (well, off and on, anyway) with seeming aplomb, looks around and realizes that she is trapped into life with someone irretrievably delusional and increasingly, dangerously, psychotic, though she is evidently the only one no longer riding on the Denial Bullet-Train of "grief takes many forms/stress will do that")...

They've now introduced "Claude-the-Broad" into things as the new king, who is being crushed under the weight of his new responsibilities, the fear that his cross-dressing might be revealed to all, and his understandable worry over his nephew's increasingly erratic (and possibly dangerous?) behaviors. Of course he seems stressed. NATURALLY he is borrowing some of Gertie's things under those conditions. What a loving and open-minded SIL she is. wink

This is what PG kids do when something grabs them and sparks something-- it just happens all too seldom with DD, who is so woefully underchallenged so much of the time. This is entirely outside the box. There is no grade involved, it's all unofficial and completely non-directed by any adults. I love watching this when it happens.

Though if any Youtube video of specific flashmob activity surfaces in the next few weeks...

:hiding:

DD13 is writing the script and lyrics. They've had some trouble casting Ham-Ham. It's a pretty meaty role, after all, and it requires a good actor to play someone psychotic who can (mostly?) pass for merely 'anxious' rather than delusional.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    No training wheels is a huge milestone! congrats!

Thanks for the encouragement! I was more scared than DS to take them off. LoL

Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I feel silly posting this, but it's a huge brag for me.

DS, finally, at 6 years, is riding his bike without training wheels.

Having been there with an emotionally intense child, I say, brag away.

When I suggested he could take them off this summer (my comfort zone), his dad decided he was ready NOW. DS told him I said this summer! But my husband persisted and encouraged.

Now our son is showing off his newly acquired skill to his grandma. It's funny he's so proud of this accomplishment and wants to share it. He's recently learned most of his times tables, but bike riding is what he wants grandma to notice.

Perhaps this is truly what he considers the biggest accomplishment. If it is, I am a very proud mom.

HK, I would pay good money to see that musical.

Has your DD discovered the joys of The Magnetic Fields? I have a feeling she would appreciate Stephin Merritt's songwriting.

D
    D
    i'm new, and so upset about what's happening to my kid that maybe this is what i really need right now - a break from thinking about everything.

my daughter is 5, just started school, is totally apathetic in her class - we recently found out she's hiding her abilities from her teachers. ugh.

she is currently sitting in her room drawing, quoting word for word an audiobook of the classic English boarding school series, Malory Towers. she's doing all the dialogue and narration, and filling in the interstitial music. she may have heard the series twice.

last night, she was watching more videos of surgery on YouTube (her special passion) and learning technique, noticing the differences between surgeons and wondering about the benefits of the different methods.

this is the kid they feel has trouble catching on in school. what a relief to say some of this stuff - i'm always reigning it in.

wait - there's an "isolation thread" - ha, i think i feel better already! thank you all.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    HK -- HamHam, the Musical!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This sounds incredibly clever. Whoo Hooo to your daughter.

M
    M
    Greetings to all,

I am taking advantage of this thread (which has been a joy to read over the past few months; your kids sound wonderful) to introduce myself as a newbie to this forum. I am the mother of a very feisty year old who showed signs of being advanced very early on. Considering his young age, I was afraid to be labeled as "one of THOSE parents" and refrained from posting. However, after our pediatrician refered him to a pediatric developmentalist at his 12 month check up last week, I said to myself, time to stop feeling alone and downplay my son's achievements in public and finally join this group.

Well for my brag post, I have the following: when asked, DS can point correctly to each letter in the alphabet in random order and can, since yesterday, do the same with numbers 1-10. Also passed the 30-word vocabulary mark...there I said it ;-P . Have a wonderful day!

Z
    Z
    Greetings Max's Mom, strap yourself in and get ready for a fun ride.

S
    S
    So we talked a little about pi on pi day because it was an extra homeschool day but the charter barely gave any work, and I needed something to occupy DD while I dealt with her brother and dinner. I wasn't sure she was into it for much more than the slice of pie at the end wink but then this weekend she kept talking about pi and the parts of a circle, and this morning made up a whole worksheet of problems like if r=3 r*D=? And then she started solving them! Just mucking about with these terms but understanding radius is half of diameter and figuring out the steps to solve. She was so excited about how there was this "cool new big ideas" in math she got us to explain squaring and roots and more about lines and stuff... good thing geometry is my favorite math.

She also wrote an awesome adventure story about questing for a mermaid's lost magic bracelet smile

Last edited by St. Margaret; 03/18/13 12:02 PM.
    Page 176 of 268 1 2 174 175 176 177 178 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM