Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I wish someone would explain schools' fascination with iPads to me.

Let me quote a fascinated school principal that I disagree with.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Many-US-schools-adding-iPads-apf-1245885050.html

Many US schools adding iPads, trimming textbooks
    Many US public schools providing iPads to students, moving away from traditional textbooks
    By Stephanie Reitz, Associated Press | AP – Sat, Sep 3, 2011

At Burlington High in suburban Boston, principal Patrick Larkin calls the $500 iPads a better long-term investment than textbooks, though he said the school will still use traditional texts in some courses if suitable electronic programs aren't yet available."I don't want to generalize because I don't want to insult people who are working hard to make those resources," Larkin said of textbooks, "but they're pretty much outdated the minute they're printed and certainly by the time they're delivered. The bottom line is that the iPads will give our kids a chance to use much more relevant materials."

I did not realize that algebra or history textbooks became outdated so quickly.

That must be what Tom Lehrer was singing about. How prescient of him. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Sorry for being dense, but could you please explain the reference?

Originally Posted by Bostonian

The principal just sounds out of contact with actual reality when he says that.

Val Offline
    "I don't want to generalize because I don't want to insult people who are working hard to make those resources," Larkin said of textbooks, "but they're pretty much outdated the minute they're printed and certainly by the time they're delivered. The bottom line is that the iPads will give our kids a chance to use much more relevant materials."

Not to mention the fact that you have to pay for the iPad AND pay for the textbooks in this model. We have a few of these gadgets at home and the electronic books aren't much cheaper.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Sorry for being dense, but could you please explain the reference?

Tom Lehrer "New Math" (sadly this doesn't include video of his extremely charming performance)

We've never known any gifted people who don't enjoy Tom's work. It's very clever.

Originally Posted by Val
    "I don't want to generalize because I don't want to insult people who are working hard to make those resources," Larkin said of textbooks, "but they're pretty much outdated the minute they're printed and certainly by the time they're delivered. The bottom line is that the iPads will give our kids a chance to use much more relevant materials."

Not to mention the fact that you have to pay for the iPad AND pay for the textbooks in this model. We have a few of these gadgets at home and the electronic books aren't much cheaper.

Not to mention the fact that the textbooks are then NON-TRANSFERABLE thanks to the miracle of modern DRM.

Ooooo-- darn, we weren't supposed to notice that. wink Look-- SHINY!

But-but--- SHINY! SHINY!! grin

D
    D
    Apple is certainly doing a VERY hard sell in higher ed; they are recruiting faculty with perks to get them to use iPad compatible materials.

So many students can't afford this stuff...

DeeDee

B
    B
    I wanted to go to college from around the age of ten years old or so. I read retired college textbooks just for fun as a pre-teen and teenager. I started at a community college when I was 18 with the hopes of eventually going onto a double major in music and theater at somewhere like NYU. It ended up being one of those 'life happens' type things. I dropped out and didn't go back to school until I was 23. I do have a completed associates degree in business administration and I completed all but one year of my BA in Fashion Design before I quit.

I quit because I was absolutely miserable, and it just wasn't worth it. I was older than the majority of the students, I was already running my own business that was going quite well and I was about to burn out completely. I found myself in a semester where I felt like I spent hours upon hours doing the equivalent of the busywork I was given back in the fourth grade by a teacher who wanted to shut me up. I just couldn't go back after that. I felt broken.

For me, the question about going to college depends largely on the field as well as the person. My husband has a Masters in Computer Science and yes, he has seen a spike in his income after completing it (also a back to college at a later age kind of thing). I am all for college. I will encourage my children to go to college and try it, but if they truly decide in their hearts that it is not the path for their life, I will be 100% okay with that. It was a very difficult decision for me initially because I had that college dream for so long. But, in the end I feel like I made the right decision for ME. It's another one of those personal choices. I still love to learn, but in my situation, I just wasn't reaping the benefits. Perhaps if I had taken another course of study it would have been different.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM