Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 173 of 268 1 2 171 172 173 174 175 267 268
    My almost 4 yr old just typed:

"lavgav
    ding yuha blabla
    apple
    dapple
    blapple
    gumapple

candied apple
    rocket ship"

It took about an hour, he worked REALLY hard. I spent about 35 minutes (altogether) saying "Are you sure you want to do this?" and he just kept saying yes... I am now pretty convinced there's a non-g e somewhere in there, because, seriously, man, most people find it EASIER to do the pushing of the button than the finding of the button... but anyway... He DID IT.

I'm rather proud. He SERIOUSLY worked at that.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    This has been going on for a while

We have about a dozen Melissa and Doug puzzles. They are super easy (say three and up on the back) and I was going to donate them to a local daycare.

Then DS2 found a way to make them interesting. He does them all at the same. He dumps all the pieces from all the puzzles in one box, then arranges the boards around him and then gets to work. It is so cute.

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    kjp-
    i love hearing this!!!
    my DS6 did that when he was 2 also!!! at 3 he was doing 150 pcon his own, and soon w/ a little help from us, even 500pc puzzles! because of him, we own lots of more difficult yet fun puzzles, and have incorporated them into our family nights, or just fun family days :)our DR table nearly always has a puzzle on it!!
    DS is very much visual/spatial, yours must be also? smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

This is probably an odd thing to be "proud" of, but I am very proud of my DD because this kind of thing is her real passion.

She is an officer in her school's honor society chapter, and she is leading the insurrection against a unilateral policy change which apparently comes from the (first-year member) president-- a policy which she has pointed out may well violate not only the spirit of non-discrimination, but probably the letter of it as well from an ADA standpoint--

she is hot over this. But she's responding coolly, with well-considered debating techniques and professional language, and she is considering how and when to escalate her concerns.

Her concerns are:

that this is a change in practices, policies, and procedures which CREATES barriers to participation for students who are non-traditional, those who are non-Christian, and those who are rural/poor/disabled.

She is positively alight with outrage over this-- it's pushed her social justice buttons with full force.

And she's going to win. She's also probably going to succeed in taking this other (PG) kid's office from him as a result, because she dotted all her i's and crossed all her t's socially before she went after him over it-- by checking with members and other officers and explaining/persuading them to see things through the "right" lens.

It's an amazing thing to watch her in full flight. WOW-- she's good. Scary good.

Go, DD!!! Fighting for the downtrodden since 1999... that's m'girl. cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Nothing odd about being proud of that IMO!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    P
    P
    My DS5 just came in and told me to Facebook, Twitter and Amazon;) his exciting news. I've never even tweeted and don't FB much ever...so that right there is funny!

He loves online Scrabble and just played a seven letter word on the first turn against a random opponent. He has been trying to find a seven letter word opportunity for the last two months since he started playing. Overall he is getting good at the game and even legitimately beats my DH (who isn't so good at it;). So proud!

my favorite game! good for him! smile

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    This funny analogy from DS5's tale of drama in the K classroom.

"I was as angry as a hippopotamus with a crocodile in its territory"

D
    D
    I picked up DS10, who does everything in his head but struggles to show the steps, after his math midterm yesterday, and I asked him how he felt about it. He smiled and said, "Mom, I showed my work!"

I guess that's not a brag, per se, but a noticing of real progress, especially in perspective-taking: both to remember what the teacher needs to see, and to be self-aware enough to think about that during the exam rather than just regretting and apologizing after the fact.

DeeDee

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    My brag: DS9 has his best-so-far piece of externally recognisable validation. He took the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge and scored high enough to go on to the follow-on round, the Cayley Olympiad; in fact, his score was high enough to qualify for the highest follow-on, the Maclaurin, but UKMT policy is apparently that you only sit one of the three Intermediate Olympiads and it's whichever is the lowest you haven't aged out of yet. So, he'll be competing against the best 500 entrants who are up to 5 school years ahead of him, and he scored as well as some of the best 500 entrants who are 7 years ahead of him, out of a total UK entry of about 600,000. I'll admit it, I'm proud of him :-)

That is extremely impressive. You must be wondering if there are even half a dozen other 9 year olds in the UK that did at least as well. wink

I'm definitely interested in how you "nurture mathematicians" as you put it in the other thread.

I'm not familiar with these British maths competitions so I googled them. Can he enter both the Intermediate and Senior Challenges in the same school year, so that he can attempt to make it into the Senior Olympiad but hedging with the more certain Intermediate one?

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    That is terrific, Colinsmum! laugh Is he excited?
    Pleased, but I wouldn't say excited really. The follow-on involves writing out full proofs, rather than being multiple choice, and though his writing is much better than it was that's still a bit off-putting to him. I did get his teacher to let him write in pen, though, on finding that he was more worried about being able to write enough in pencil than about being able to do the questions!

I would seriously suggest relax and have fun.

Looking at a sample Cayley Olympiad paper from the website, it seems that the solutions have a fairly sequential structure, so if you know how to solve them you ought to be able to write down your line of thought.

Page 173 of 268 1 2 171 172 173 174 175 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM