Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 232 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
    Topic Options
    #148786 - 02/15/13 08:17 AM Re: Literal Interpretations [Re: ultramarina]
    MidwestMom Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    I am thinking about this issue again because DD is occasionally struggling with reading comprehension worksheets. She had one the other day where the question was something like, "How would Jane's classmates have reacted if she decided to write a class newsletter that was accurate?" (Jane had written a newsletter full of lies.) The right answer was, "They would have thanked her." DD filled the right answer in, but was annoyed. "We don't know they would have thanked her. Who says? Just because she wrote things that were true?"

Just for fun, I asked DD11 this question. Her response: "They probably would have been disappointed because I bet the newsletter full of lies was more interesting than the accurate one."

#148834 - 02/15/13 03:53 PM Re: Literal Interpretations [Re: ABQMom]
    ultramarina Offline

Ha! No kidding. It DID sound interesting, the way they described it!

It was a stupid question. The issue is, is DD simply resisting stupid questions because she recognizes and objects to their stupidity, or is she actually unable to correctly answer a stupid question because her brain can't make the "I guess the right answer is supposed to be X even though..." leap. (And if she knows the answer but feels emotionally really bothered by selecting it, is that because she is ASD-rigid, or because she is a perfectionist, or...)

#149083 - 02/20/13 01:28 PM Re: Literal Interpretations [Re: master of none]
    ElizabethN Offline

Loc: Seattle area
    Originally Posted By: master of none
    I thought my DS was literal but able to see another way until today, he comes home and says, "that teacher took points off for stuff she didn't even say we had to do. She said 'it would be a good idea to include' but she didn't say to include it."

Funny - we had a dispute over language like this with DD8's teacher. She sent email to parents on a Wednesday about a book report assignment, and said something like "it would be helpful if" kids could bring in their selected book by Friday. Then she gave a Late to everyone who didn't have a book yet on Friday. We couldn't even get a book shipped by Amazon Prime fast enough to have it at school on Friday! And guess what, we don't have lots of Newbery award books laying around that DD hasn't read yet, and the assignment said that it had to be a book they hadn't read before. And most Newbery winners are grossly inappropriate for third graders, in my estimation.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Open college classes to everyone
    by mithawk
    Today at 08:02 AM
    Flipped Classroom
    by aeh
    01/18/21 02:15 PM
    Counting to 10
    by aquinas
    01/18/21 09:04 AM