Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #1490 12/21/06 12:04 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Some may remember the thread awhile back when I discussed Mite's difficulties with balance and such.

Well, bless Debbie, we took her advice and got a SIPT (snesory integration and praxis test) evaluation.

We don't have all the results yet, but boy was the OT surprised by the severity of his difficulties. Apparently he has very impaired sensation on his left hand, minimal sensation on the right. He is extremely auditory sensitive. He has poor vestibular function. If he startles his recovery time is extremely long -- though his reaction is to withdraw into his imagination and become quiet.

There is a whole long list.

You know the more we look the more we find. In some ways I'm relieved to find some support that explains his learning difficulties, but for the most part I'm battling feeling overwhelmed again.

Yesterday, too, he had a horrible reaction to either the OT brushing therapy or that combined with his ADHD meds. It was scary and what was even scarier is the vultures didn't even bother calling me or his dad. They noticed it. His sped teacher told me, when I just HAPPENED to stop in to do his brushing therapy, that at lunch he was so "out of it" she literally had to tell him when to take bites of his food and sip on his punch. It was so severe when I stopped on my way into the building to chat with the principal and Mite walked up, the principal's mouth fell open and he asked me if he was supposed to be acting like that!

His classroom teacher apparently left in the early afternoon due to chemo related illnes. So, my impression is she was either too sick to notice the well-being of the children in her class, notably my very ill son, or she just didn't care because he was so withdrawn.

We ran him to the doc and took him off his meds immediately, but boy are we furious to think he could be in that situation all day and not one vulture would take the time to send him to the nurses office or give us a call in concern.

ok....venting off.....deep breathing deep breathing

Willa Gayle
    ((Hugs)) Willa Gayle -
    My heart is breaking to hear about how things are for Mite. I'm so glad you are getting him some OT help! It's amazing to me how far things have come.
    I know that you will set this right for Mite.
    Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks for the comforting words.

I'm amazed at how complicated this "giftedness" can make these little ones' lives.

Have a happy holiday season everyone!!

Willa Gayle
    Merry Christmas to All...

Ania

A giant hug and comfort to all!

Trinity

W
    OP Offline
    W
    We finally got the final results on the SIPT. The results were somewhat odd, after all they are Mite's!!

My limited understanding is that Mite has pretty severe balance and bi-lateral issues (crossing midline) and as we've known all along, severe issues with his hands and severe issues with his feet.

We are going to try some new therapies, but at some points I just feel a bit hopeless. This is one of those points.

ok...whining off...breathe breathe breathe

Willa Gayle
    Willa Gayle,
    Go ahead and cry dear...you deserve to let it out...How lovely that you live in a time when tests AND help is availible for Mite.

Here's a story to make you laugh, at my expense.
    When I was a newbie wandering around in the dark, I was wringing my hands to an IRL friend: "It's so frustrating that he is SO bright and SO hindered by his issues!"

She said: "Just be glad that he is so bright, and not have his issue without it. Many people have to face that."

Ouch! That was a slap of reality! I couldn't say a word, knowing that her son had all of the issues, and apparently, not the high intelligence. I shut up pretty quickly, then, but for the record, I think I did, actually, have a valid point! I just opened my mouth in the wrong place to express it. But then, I didn't have you all back then.

((red faced smile))
    Trin

No, no, no. Don't feel hopeless. I think you finally have the answers. Hang in there. The light will come on and you'll be hopeful again!

W
    OP Offline
    W
    not feeling hopeless today! I shouldn't write things when I'm moody!! lol

I think the combination of Mite's issues, coupled with my own health, which is a bit overwhelming right now, just got to me.

Thanks so much everyone for supporting this ole basketcase!!! chuckle

Willa Gayle
    Whew! you had me worried! Glad the sun is shining where you are!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM