Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 171 of 268 1 2 169 170 171 172 173 267 268
    B
    B
    I'm new here, and I was given this link for the brag thread in my first post. I'm glad there is a place where I can write about what my daughter does/says without having my parenting critiqued or having people cast doubt. That being said, my daughter (2y9mo) has been interested in the days of the week lately. However, she has come up with her own creative way to try to keep track of the days. Thus, the following conversation last week:

DD: Mommy, is today Tuesday?
    Me: No, today is Friday.
    DD: Fiveday?
    Me: Yes, Friday.
    DD: (pause, then frantic) Oh no, Mommy!
    Me: What?
    DD: Today's Fiveday! Yesterday was Tuesday! We missed ThreeDay and FourDay!
    Me: What do you mean ThreeDay and FourDay?
    DD: You know...it goes OneDay (Monday), TwosDay (Tuesday), ThreeDay, FourDay, and today is FiveDay!

Just thought it was creative and cute!

Last edited by blue spruce; 02/18/13 09:00 PM.
    A
    A
    Adorable!!

Also, welcome to the forum. We love celebrating the neat things our children do, so please don't be a stranger.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Cute story: I have a houseplant that tickles your hand if you put your hand in it. I saw my 2.5 yr old girl tickling the plant back with a feather.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    L
    L
    DD3.5 asked me yesterday," mom, which is the last number?" Me: "what do you mean? Last number where?" DD: " last number in 1,2,3. I thought it was 100 but then I realized there is 101,102. So which is the last number?". Me:" hmmm, that is THE question. I don't know. I think it is infinity."

E
    E
    DD (newly 4.5)--after months and months of barely reading anything (just wasn't interested, and we never pressed)--is confidently and fluently reading ANY second grade text and doing the same with many (not all) third grade books as well.

She reads so fluently--very, very adult like. Perfect pausing and intonation. Scans ahead for tricky words. Makes good guesses using phonics and context. Her comprehension and vocabulary clearly outpace her stamina, tracking ability, and decoding skills. The other day she read the word, "quarrel." It was an educated guess. When asked its meaning she said, "another word for fight."

She is also to the point where she can deduce most addition problems save double digits in her head. So, 35 + 7, yes, 35 + 17, not yet. And, she can skip count 1-12 very well (except maybe 8s) and uses the trick to solve addition problems very creatively as well as some multiplication.

She taught herself how to write all the numbers, and I found a scrap of paper that read

2 2 + 4
    7 7 + 14
    5 6 + 11

She was trying. To be fair, we have only ever done math orally.

U
    U
    Heck,I can't really do 35 + 17 in MY head, either. wink (Well, not fast. But I do have math phobia.)

DS is like that too with the awesome intonation. It's interesting to me that he still will skip whole lines sometimes, though. I assume that's nothing to be concerned about. He does notice and then gets confused.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by ellemenope
    She taught herself how to write all the numbers, and I found a scrap of paper that read

2 2 + 4
    7 7 + 14
    5 6 + 11

Awesome! She'll be a natural at using calculators with Reverse Polish Notation....

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Heck,I can't really do 35 + 17 in MY head, either. wink (Well, not fast. But I do have math phobia.)

DS is like that too with the awesome intonation. It's interesting to me that he still will skip whole lines sometimes, though. I assume that's nothing to be concerned about. He does notice and then gets confused.

Yeah, I don't expect her to do this for a long time. I just didn't want to mislead anyone to believe that she could add two digit numbers in her head. She can add in the double digits--just not two double digits together with grouping?, carrying?

J
    J
    My son is in a self-contained gifted program at our public school for 4th grade. They started with the 5th grade math book and he was placed into the 6th grade vocab book. We got his report card- all As! Reading, vocab, math, etc.
    He is hearing impaired and the only hearing impaired child in the gifted program. He's the only kid in his class of 35 with an IEP.
    They are working on AMC math problems in class for fun- they don't compete this year. He and only one other boy got 4 out of 5 right! Apparently nobody got 5 right.

A
    A
    The jr kinder teacher just taught dd(just turned 5) the concept of multiplication and dd can now multiply all the numbers she knows how to skip count (2,5,10). She also is in the self guided reading and went from level AA to G in 2 months...

Page 171 of 268 1 2 169 170 171 172 173 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM