Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 149 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 170 of 263 < 1 2 ... 168 169 170 171 172 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #148247 - 02/08/13 07:39 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    MidwestMom Offline

This isn't quite a brag, but it was something I was glad to hear, particularly given DD11's tendency towards perfectionism.

DD9 was at a sports camp recently, and one of the instructors told her to keep working because "practice makes perfect."

DD's response: "Nobody's perfect. Practice makes you better."

#148266 - 02/08/13 10:02 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

That sounds mighty brag-worthy to me! Way to go for your DD! smile

Similarly, DD13, (while we were out of the house, no less)

"I got 100% on my Physics quiz! I took notes, then I worked through some problems out of the Schaum's book you got me-- thanks, that's really helpful, Mom-- and then I took the quiz. Working the problems really helped!"

(Hurray!!! She's finally starting to connect effort and results!)

#148513 - 02/12/13 07:52 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Dude Offline

DD8 played "Chopped" with her mom yesterday. They each picked three random ingredients for the other, which had to be incorporated in some way in three courses: a starter, a main dish, and a dessert. DD did all her own cooking, and won. DW made the excuse that she slept badly, and wasn't feeling very creative.

Did I mention DW is a formally trained chef?

DD had a couple friends over, and she made her dessert for everyone last night, which is basically a new take on s'mores:

- Soften (don't melt) mini-marshmallows in the microwave.
    - Stuff softened marshmallows inside a waffle cone.
    - Pour in melted chocolate.

#148755 - 02/14/13 01:28 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

I love it! Sounds like an appropriate menu item for tonight, actually. smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earlier this week, my DD showed up (virtual school) for her peer tutoring shift and the teacher says "Oh thank goodness-- I'm going to put you into this meeting space right away... the other tutors and I have been working together on this problem for about thirty minutes and nobody can seem to make it work-- I can't figure it out either!"

DD factored the polynomial in about fifteen minutes.

Now, why this is a brag isn't that she was able to do something that two other hand-picked mathy kids couldn't... or even that she was able to do a problem that stumped the teacher....

No-- my moment of pride was in watching DD's determination not to give up-- I don't see "tenacity" very often in her-- but when she goes to work on something like this... WOW.

She narrowed her eyes and set her jaw, and bit into that challenge like an alligator.

WTG, DD!!

#148839 - 02/15/13 05:41 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Michaela Offline

Loc: The bottom of my cup
    DS broke the science center guy with "what happens to the cells in an apple when it gets bruised?"

I'm not sure if I'm more amused by the stumbling goofy answer (that particular guy is one of the stand-out-from-the-crowd awesome guys there, seeing him miss a beat either in clowning OR in science fact is... rare) or by the fact that DS managed to actually go up to the guy, wait his turn, and then ask a question.

I love our science center.

#148846 - 02/15/13 06:17 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    orlandomom Offline

So the other day in the car my DD8 asks me what is the name of the part of the eye that reflects light. I told her I couldn't remember but we could look it up when we got home. DS10 says "I know, it's called the retina", so I ask him if he was studying that in science class right now. He says, "no mom, I just like to read the posters in doctors offices"

smile

#148882 - 02/16/13 03:01 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Michaela]
    CCN Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
    Originally Posted By: Michaela
    DS broke the science center guy with "what happens to the cells in an apple when it gets bruised?"

I'm not sure if I'm more amused by the stumbling goofy answer (that particular guy is one of the stand-out-from-the-crowd awesome guys there, seeing him miss a beat either in clowning OR in science fact is... rare) or by the fact that DS managed to actually go up to the guy, wait his turn, and then ask a question.

I love our science center.

I love that smile smile That is so totally and completely a "my DS8" question... (only my DS wouldn't have waited his turn. He would have bunny hopped up to the guy, barked like a dog, then asked the question. Ah, ADHD.)

#148907 - 02/17/13 07:16 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

DS (just turned 5) is reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We started out reading it to him,but he doesn't have the patience to sit around waiting for us to read it, so...

I was so pleased to see the light go on behind DD's eyes when I brought home a gamed called Math Dice after a fruitless hour or two at the homeschool supply store searching for "stuff" for DS to do after preschool. The game is a bit much for DS unless played cooperatively, but DD took to it instantly and is awesome at it (better than me). This is the kid who's been saying lately how bad she is math and how she doens't like it.

#148910 - 02/17/13 10:21 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    1111 Offline

DS 5.3 brought me an instruction manual he had written on how to burn CD's and DVD's on the computer. A step by step guide that was 100% correct.
    We now have a dozen CD's and DVD's laying around the house of programming he creates before anyone else in the house gets up in the morning.....:-/

Edited by 1111 (02/17/13 10:22 AM)

#148924 - 02/17/13 05:51 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

Was just on FaceTime with my mother-in-law, who openly disbelieved us when we told her DS15mo started talking before 6 months. She still seems to think DS doesn't talk. The reality is that he doesn't know her and, so, doesn't feel comfortable opening up to her yet.

During the call, DS and I were reading a book in the background and counting 7 fish in a picture book. DH asked DS what number comes after 7, to which he replied "8". He did the same for 9. MIL was aghast.

Page 170 of 263 < 1 2 ... 168 169 170 171 172 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum