Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Good luck.

E
    Eibbed Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    So I received a response last night.

Eibbed,

I'm glad to hear that DS5 is enjoying the math class with Ms. W and Ms. C. They have enjoyed getting to know him as a math student and to encourage him to continue to share his thinking, which at times is quite unique. As with all students we continue to find ways to differentiate our instruction and challenges for our students.

Thank you for scheduling a conference with Ms E, we will make sure that Ms. W and Ms. C are available at the time as well.

As for your questions:

1. We do test students in reading beyond just one year ahead. We use the Fountas and Pinnell benchmarking system to determine a students instructional reading level and then work to instruct them at that level.

2. Within math, we often test above just the current grade level however we don't choose to test to a level of frustration. In 3rd and 4th grades students can take a GT (gifted and talented) test that would put them in a curriculum that is two years above grade level. This is then continued within the middle school as well. As I shared earlier, DS5 will be assessed around some concepts from both 1st and 2nd grade. We look forward to sharing the results with you next week and to discuss how we are meeting his needs as a math student. I do know that Ms. E has enjoyed working him over the past weeks.

3. Subject matter acceleration is something that we often provide within the classroom. We do it in a variety of ways, having our GT teacher take time to work with students, I know Ms. I is working with DS5 and his group in reading/writing as we had discussed. In addition, by having a co-teacher in many classes it allows us to differntiate/accelerate in many ways. Math often allows us this opportunity as we expect multiple solutions and defense of their thinking, which allows students to truly be stretched! Grade acceleration is something that could happen, however there is a lot of research around this topic and it is something that schools typically do not do. I would encourage you to read about the impacts both socially and academically. I would love to talk more about this information.

I look forward to talking next week!

Principal

This response is lacking in so many different ways I don't even know where to begin.

- It's great that say they test past 1 grade ahead but DS5 aced the end of 1st assessment and that is where they stopped and wouldn't go any further.

- Nothing is mentioned about how they determine a child has made adequate progress over the year if they don't know where he/she started.

- If I read this correctly it sounds like they do not do subject acceleration in the lower grades. DS5 is in the new K/1st grade math but it does not seem like it is meeting his needs.

- The principal obviously didn't want to give any opinions on full grade acceleration except to say that most schools don't do it.

Just uuuggggghhhhhhhh!!!

He did say that I should do some reading on the topic which I've been trying to do. I've got A Nation Deceived, Academic Advocacy for the Gifted Child, and the blog Unwrapping the Gifted Child.
    I am interested in the Iowa Acceleration Scale but it appears that you need testing to make the scale reliable. We don't have test scores. I read everything here but I'm not sure he would consider this reading or research. frown

I'm not even sure I would want full grade acceleration for DS5 but I would like a dialogue about it's possibilities.

Could you please suggest other books or resources out there on acceleration? I'm going to have a busy few days ahead! smile

D
    D
    Sorry, I don't know of any particularly good resources for what you need--although there is that "Genius Denied" book that is featured on the Davidson site that might discuss it. But I just was struck by the letter (and I suppose one might expect this sort of thing in writing, because the principal is probably cautious about what he puts in writing) in that it looks like he's prepared to cite various studies to back up handling it how they want to--which I would bet is what they're already doing. (Such as citing the "Fountas and Pinnell benchmarking system"--showing you that he has expertise, which would be good except from the tone of the letter and what is said I'm betting he's going to try to shut you down from asking for more even if you think your kid really needs it). But on the other hand it does sound like the teachers are trying to be helpful, so I would be sure to express appreciation for that even while also expressing that DS5 needs/wants more (remember, DS, or you on behalf of DS, not just you--my own DH unfortunately talked about wanting to 'push' DD in a meeting last year when it is her pushing because he has not read so much on these things, and in that setting I think it totally undercut what we were saying about trying to get more advanced math work for DD, because DH did most of the talking, as he is wont to do wink --so be careful). Good luck!

M
    M
    Here's some to get you started:
    http://www.nagc.org/uploadedFiles/Information_and_Resources/Position_Papers/Acceleration.pdf

http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...ceptability-of-extremely-gifted-children

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_print_id_10422.aspx

http://www.marylandpublicschools.or...512/32797/COMAR_13A0407_GT_Education.pdf

It's really good that he came out and pretty much said that evidence is against skipping. That's when we got some good movement. I prepared a packet and brought it to the meeting with all my references.

Last edited by master of none; 02/08/13 10:33 AM. Reason: privacy
    P
    P
    Eibbed,

I wouldn't be completely discouraged by the Principal's response - my experience has been that a written response from the school is *always* going to be conservative and guarded because the school does not want to put anything in writing that they would be held legally accountable for. I don't know about your school district, but in our school district there is a large worry about legal action from parents.

I read the response and felt it was encouraging because he *did* respond to each of your points and he didn't completely shut you down re acceleration etc. Soooo... you will have your meeting and your chance to reply - that's all good! Gathering the evidence to support your advocacy is good too. When we were advocating for our 2e ds, I tried my best to think through every argument the school staff could throw out against what we were asking for and have my own counter-argument well prepared before the meeting smile

I also think that the three most helpful things we had in early elementary school to use in advocating for our ds and differentiation/acceleration were his IQ test results, background knowledge of what the school district used to determine "giftedness", and understanding statistics. We had one IQ test given through the school district and another private test. The school district psych at his elementary school tried to argue that the school district's IQ test was highly unreliable at a young age... but she couldn't really argue having two IQ tests with almost identical results. So the school tried to argue in turn that those high results were meaningless and that there were lots of those high-IQ kids running through the halls - that's where understanding and being able to explain some very minimal statistics re IQ test scores helped tremendously. Granted - the school staff should have understood that already (and I'm sure they did) - but - by us demonstrating what *we* knew and understood it helped prevent the school staff from summarily dismissing us as they wanted to.

Hang in there! And let us know how your meeting goes -

polarbear

A
    A
    Eibbed, you received one strong positive from the principal's response-- "Grade acceleration is something that could happen."

While I can't comment from personal experience on acceleration advocacy specifically, I do have a background in corporate negotiations, which can be equally challenging to navigate. I have a few thoughts, which I hope are useful.

As I see it, your argument will be framed from the following information:

A. Achievement quantification: securing evidence of ability
    B. Evaluation of social readiness (neuropsych/parents)
    C. Assessment of intellectual detriment of current environment
    D. Assessment of social/emotional detriment of current environment

My first priority would be ensuring that reliable, measurable benchmarks supported by gifted assessment best-practices are used. Other folks wih experience in this area could probably point you in the right direction for those.

The principal has forwarded three positions:

1. Skipping is socially detrimental (general)
    2. Testing should not account for ceiling effects (math)
    3. Reading assessments are not formally tested

Points 2 and 3 can be undermined in reference to district policies and gifted assessment best practices. Both assertions are ridiculous.

Point 1 can be refuted by keeping the discussion specific to your child to undercut the generalizations the principal will be arguing from. The issue at hand isn't the principal's general, (presumably) untrained opinion. The real issue is the school's responsibility to teach each individual at his level, a responsibility that the school is eschewing with its current approach. View policy as 100% adaptable to individual needs.

In crafting your case re: point 1, I'd present as many concrete, dated examples as possible to show a trend of decline in your son in his current situation: cognitive, social, behavioural, and emotional. If your son is beginning to have any difficulty relating to peers, highlight the gap to undermine the principal's tack. Keep a record of instances of upset/boredom/conflict and graph frequency over time.

I'll be interested to follow along. I hope my lack of BTDT experience doesn't render these thoughts so general as to be useless!!

Best,
    Aquinas

ETA: this post assumes you discover need for a skip and wish to implement it.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM