Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
    #14761 04/27/08 12:37 PM
    I think you raise a good point, Questions. Some boards are a lot more picky about staying on topic than others. I never thought of this board as being all that particular about it, provided the original question gets addressed. I know that if a thread goes astray without addressing the original question, most of here try to steer it back to the point. People here are extremely considerate, in my experience.

As a thread winds down to its natural conclusion, I think it often happens that things go a bit more off-topic. Hot threads that are active at a time when lots of people happen to be online also tend to go off-topic faster.

Those digressions can be interesting and fun, though! As long as the original poster gets a well-considered answer from the group, I personally enjoy our digressions. smile

It does mean that we probably need a chat-space, but I suspect that even if we get one, some things will pop in people's heads in response to a topic. I have gotten a lot out of those ostensibly off-topic but interesting and thoughtful comments, so I hope those don't stop! The side conversation about college in the skipping K thread was a really interesting discussion, I thought. I would never want to lose that sort of serendipity!

Kriston
    Kriston #14765 04/27/08 12:48 PM
    S
    S
    Digressions are interesting and I get a lot out of them and the conversations that progress.

Now, ahem, to address my question: what do you think about the "hell" incident?

After that, digress away!

squirt #14768 04/27/08 01:24 PM
    Hmmmm... the H-E-double hockey sticks incident... Was he written up and the others were not because the teacher corrected them verbally and then your son contradicted her? I can see this happening with my son frown

Re modeling conversation flow--cool idea! Maybe that's some kind of artificial intelligence topic. Maybe we could write a "free-association program" where you input a topic and then there's some probability that it will jump to a related topic...

Cathy A #14769 04/27/08 01:29 PM
    acs Offline
    Perhaps the issue is that H*** is a word that can be used aggressively as in, "Why don't you just got to ______?!" This seems like a legit thing to write someone up for. The challenge for the teacher, who may have only heard one part of the sentence, is to decide whether the word is being used technically as part of a theologic or philosophical debate or if it is being used aggressively as a threat. So, perhaps, it is just a good idea to avoid it, not because it is "bad" but because it's imprudent.

acs #14770 04/27/08 01:39 PM
    I've been trying to teach my kids that it's all about time and place. Using the "H" word in front of Grandma--even if you're not using it as a swear word--is not going to go over well. But saying "golly gee" while hanging out with sailors/truckers/soldiers/<your favorite stereotype of people who swear here> probably isn't going to fly either.

It's about knowing your audience. School is a good time to practice avoiding the appearance of impropriety.

And I'm sorry we didn't respond to your post, squirt. I read it, but I guess I thought you were just venting, not really looking for opinions.

So much for our being considerate!!! blush

Kriston
    Kriston #14774 04/27/08 02:28 PM
    Your son said hell in school, oh how terrible (sarcasm).. I think as a punishment he ( I'm lost, he is he not she right?) should prepare a report on the dangers of censorship and present it to the class.

Neato

incogneato #14775 04/27/08 02:40 PM
    S
    S
    Not a bad idea, Neato, and he is a he. And, Kriston, no worries - it was more vent-like than question-like. I'm not going to make any deal over it even though I think she was very wrong. I just wondered if any of you thought she was off base or if I just over-reacted because she's been such a pain in the neck all year.

He was only bothered by it for a short while because it meant he didn't get his reward for that week (her reward, not mine) so I left it alone.

And, now, let the digressions, resume!

squirt #14779 04/27/08 04:00 PM
    I think she was off-base, but I also think I'd appear to back the teacher with my silence on this one.

There are certainly times when I'm willing to side with my child over the teacher (though not to the child, of course), but I don't think that would be one. I might have lobbied the teacher for a lesser punishment, if being "written up" is a big deal. But if it's not that big a deal, I think I'd let it slide and keep my eyes peeled for other problems. One of those is an isolated incident; two is a pattern.

Kriston
    Kriston #14792 04/27/08 07:39 PM
    Yes, Kriston, I agree. This is a somewhat of a slippery slope. I have a bias in that I have a very liberal and playful view on the culture of words/language.
    Obviously, this is the tone I set in my home as DD5 called grandpa an idiot this weekend!
    Very funny, as we used to refer to him as the colonel when we were young.
    She got a time out, but I was very much laughing on the inside!
    (Better than crying on the inside, right Kriston!?!?!?!)

Neato

incogneato #14807 04/28/08 06:45 AM
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    She got a time out, but I was very much laughing on the inside!
    (Better than crying on the inside, right Kriston!?!?!?!)
    Neato

Indeed! Or you can do what I do and mutitask by doing both at the same time.

Where's that bottle of vodka? Is it down there on the bottom of the dark closet? <feeling around for it>

Kriston
    Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations