Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    DS is using an iPad now, before that he used a Mac laptop. I'll list what I can remember from each!

iPad apps:
    scanning - JotNot
    writing on PDF files - "Type on PDF"
    notes - Notability
    math - can't remember the name of these apps!
    word processing - Pages
    presentations - Keynote
    voice-to-text - Dragon

Mac laptop:
    math - Efofex (ds didn't need this until pre-Algebra)
    word processing - MSWord
    presentations - PowerPoint
    notes - didn't bother with them - and that's not a special brand of software wink
    scanning - uses a Doxie portable scanner, scanned docs to pdf
    writing on PDF files - used Adobe Pro
    math - ran Efofex on the Math using Parallels software to run Windows
    voice-to-text - Dragon (not Dragon Pro, just basic Dragon)
    word prediction - CoWriter

Note: ds used Adobe Pro on the Mac simply because I already had a license and it's extremely flexible re editing pdf files. I think there are other less expensive options available.

To be honest, ds loves his iPad and even though there are a few things he hasn't figured out how to do on it yet, I doubt he'll ever go back to using the laptop at school. I've also loved the iPad because apps are rapidly developing that make using it easy for dysgraphic folks, apps are very inexpensive compared to typical software packages for the laptop, and it seems to be something that doesn't stick out and define him as "different" as much as his laptop did.

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 02/01/13 04:57 PM.
    A
    A
    Another PDF editor and note app for iPad - my fav - GoodNotes.

I'm going to have to invest in the Efofex. As the math gets harder, this will help a lot.

D
    D
    BTW, the North Carolina school entity (sorry--can't remember what it is called officially) announced this week that they will no longer be requiring cursive to be taught. I wonder whether writing print will also be abandoned at some point--but I guess that would have to wait until all schools can afford touch screens for all students. Anyway, I think it is a promising trend for dysgraphics generally. (Although I do wonder about a futuristic sci-fi post-apocalyptic scenario where all electronics were shot and nobody could communicate in writing--sorry, DD has been talking about 'post-apocalyptic fiction' a lot--just a joke smile

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I'm going to have to invest in the Efofex. As the math gets harder, this will help a lot.

ABQMom - Efofex will provide a 10-year license at no charge to students with a disability - you can find the details on their website. I don't want to go into details here - but my ds' school was not willing to comply with the Efofex requirement and we were able to get the license for him anyway - pm me if you want more info on that. The Efofex folks were *very* understanding and helpful.

polarbear

P
    P
    ps - for Mac folks - Efofex is slowly developing Mac equivalents of their PC software. DS has used the Mac modules released so far and they work great!

C
    C
    I'll throw in that along with Polarbear's awesome advice, we also have an accommodation for "cloze notes" where the teacher can provide notes with some key words missing. DS has to fill in the missing words. This was to appease some worry that if he wasn't taking notes, he didn't have to pay attention. DS likes it because it's like a mad libs game for him!

We also have an accommodation that math will always be done on graph paper, if it's in class. He can also use a white board for any scratch paper where he doesn't have to turn it in. My son has Developmental Coordination Disorder with dysgraphia as a side-effect. The fat pen, combined with the light pressure on the white board works really well- especially for any sort of testing environment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM