Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    E
    E
    For what it's worth, here's a recent article on the science of why high school sucks. It doesn't really tell you anything other than that it really is important that you do something. Good luck.

Oh-- that is a really good point!!

Is she feeling disillusioned because she anticipated that HIGH school would be so much different from MIDDLE school?

My DD had a lot of trouble with that, I know.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    True, what aquinas notes-- "hates" can indicate all manner of poor fit issues with kids. It could be that she is genuinely feeling bullied; withdrawal is a definite indicator, particularly if it's recent. I wonder also what "hurt" means in this context-- both subjectively and objectively. Is it a lack of affirmation of her beliefs/wishes? Or is it deliberately hurtful or nasty behavior from peers? There is a world of difference between those things, and it's why I wonder about the perspective of other adults who know this young lady in her daily life. ETA: It sounds as though you are doing that-- which is good. smile I'd definitely keep asking for inputs from those people, and let them KNOW that your DD is having these problems. See what they can tell you after observing a while.

I seldom characterize my DD's peers as "jealous" of her accomplishments (though when faced with black-and-white evidence, perhaps shocked/intimidated). The few who are envious/jealous tend to be so highly competitive and insecure that they are absolutely toxic and destructive (often aided by parents). That's not the majority, however. I'd remove my DD from a situation in which that was the norm. Sometimes we've had trouble with other parents of bright-not-gifted/MG kids, because they become so defensive when their special-snowflake construct is threatened by my DD's unassuming but undeniable HG+-ness. It's a parent problem, though; occasionally the parents even come after my DD directly. Obviously I draw the line at that and gently remind other parents that passive aggressively interacting with my DD that way is... unseemly and inappropriate in the extreme. I fully concede that in a highly competitive environment/district, it's possible for an HG+ child to be victimized by a group of social jackals. "Hatred" might well be an appropriate response to that over time. It depends on whether the feeling of persecution is based on actual actions/statements of others or not.

So why does DD not have this envy/jealousy problem much with peers? I have a couple of hypotheses. DD compartmentalizes; her school friends have no idea that she also excels in areas X, Y, and Z, and her friends from those other activities have no real reason to know just what an academic superstar she is. With agemates, she's "13" and with academic peers she's "11th grade." She doesn't share every accomplishment. Therefore, she isn't seen as "threatening" socially, but it takes nothing away from her, either-- she just shows the facets of herself which are situationally relevant at the time. Most of the time, wide-open competition is going to make others feel bad/defensive by comparison-- DD is far too good at far too many unrelated domains. Now, that comes with its own problems, since she compares her performance to "100%" rather than to peers... but that is a different kettle of fish.

DD also looks for ways that her friends are highly competent or admirable, and she's complimentary about their interests and abilities. They learn that they can trust her not to lord anything over them, or criticize them when they are feeling insecure. In other words, interpersonally, she finds ways to make others feel that they are her equal/superior in terms of human/social value, even when she COULD make them feel like dirt instead. She is gracious and keenly interested in what others are doing. This is why people like to be around her once they know her well; because she makes others feel GOOD about themselves.

It sounds like teachers and adults like the OP's DD very well, and that maybe it's mostly a peer problem.

My own DD has the same high levels of integrity, honesty, altruism, and morality as the most extreme of her peers, but she isn't judgmental about it. She won't go along just to get along, but she also doesn't feel any need to "correct" others aside from a few areas (all related to in-progress hate-speech or discrimination). She can agree to disagree about pretty much anything as long as it isn't actively injuring another person. She has seen peers who interpret "please stop badgering me-- I don't think that you're right, and I'm never going to" as a personal attack of some kind, however. That is obviously rigidity and this is where I wonder about the term "hurt" as the OP has used it.

None of my DD's friends has been a cognitive equal-- and the only one who was close actually had a pathological need to believe that his LOG was far higher than hers (which seems have been a sham intended to cover insecurities, actually). She's probably only known 1-2 other peers who were at her LOG, and unfortunately (for both kids), they had little in common interest-wise. Nevertheless, she has never once felt that another human being was unworthy of her or her time; she just enjoys others for what they DO have to offer rather than discarding them for what they lack.

There are things about being human which transcend intellect.

I can't say that my DD doesn't have friendship problems. She is also searching for a soul-mate best friend, and has yet to find anything like one. But she's not throwing away the friends that she makes because they don't match that ideal, either. ETA: If, as the OP has reason to believe, this set of problems is intrinsically related to a particular relationally aggressive student, then I'd address that with the school. (I'm assuming that this other peer is back in her DD's life again and that is where the problems are coming from-- my apologies if I've misunderstood.)

I'm also wondering what would happen if the OP approached the school at all about finding a more suitable placement for her DD. It sounds at least possible that her placement is not sufficiently challenging-- though that isn't clear either, since she apparently DOES work for her academic successes. Hard to know from just a little snapshot, but I thought that I would throw that idea out there. If she were with OLDER peers, and no longer "the top of the top" maybe she wouldn't be such a target socially? Or does she have a need to always be number one?

{Thanks so much for understanding that I'm merely offering ideas-- not judging in ANY way-- every situation is far more complex than we can explain easily on a forum}

Thanks for your wise words.

My daugter recently got hurt from a group of friends because she was looking for some true friendship which would allow her to share her feelings and get support from them. Instead she encountered a lot of disappointment when it came to a point that they didn't stand up for her when she got hurt or wronged from others(an obvious mental attack from other people). They would come to her when they needed help on HW(mostly asking to copy it) or a ride from A to B cuz I'm free most of the time or a join birthday party(they want to save money). DD felt used most of time because the imbalance of give and take. She was always there for them and would stand up for anyone who was down or hurt. She would offer help(not letting them to copy HW but to help them to understand the materials and tips on studying) and she is the most generous girl you can meet. She would buy friends the expensive gifts but very cheap on herself. She once wanted to save $300 to give away to one of her friends as b-day gift since she has no money for clothes. In return, she betrayed her and left her and that hurt her the most. I'm not sharing the details since it's a long story but I witnessed the whole thing and I know DD has been used at most.

DD does get along better with older peers and they usually love her to death but DD is put in the same age group peers level. I don't want her to skip a grade and I am sure the academics is really right for her level right now. She might not be the genius in math nor the one with photogenic memory but her integrity and movitivation to succeed set her apart from the bright but lazy peers. She would still get A's if she does less but she's aiming to get perfect score on everything. That's why I said she's top of the top. She does research on her subjects when teachers don't give enough info not just to get the perfect grade but also to satisfy her crave to learn.

The jealousy problem that DD is facing is mainly from a small group of people but they are the one that she would choose over the nice, decent and open-minded HG peers. That's why I see the problem and don't know how to help. It's her choice of friends throw her off. I always joke around saying DD has an angel and a devil in her and she's dangerous, haha, just a joke but this some truth behind each joke, you know what I mean....

I just hope I will have a striaght and clear mind to help her to walk through life a couple more years before she takes off to college. I just want to do as much as possible to help when she's around. Her anxeity and depression gets so much better and we are taping her off the med to minimum and hopefully she will leave us to college without it.

Again thanks a lot. You are very wise and loaded with good info and that's why people say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree wink. On my case, my husband's side takes the credit;)

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Just to add this to make sure she is not money-minded.. she would bake cakes and make arts and crafts for friends too. wink

Originally Posted by Melessa
    Btw, I was also disillusioned when I went to college and thought everyone would be like me, only to find that it was pretty similar to high school.

College was worse for me than high school, but that's partly because I never figured out what exactly I was supposed to do there and I really didn't want to be there.

Law school was meh.

Thanks Elizabeth for the article. It was very interesting. My daughter is definitely a "brain".

Originally Posted by momsalwaysamom
    The jealousy problem that DD is facing is mainly from a small group of people but they are the one that she would choose over the nice, decent and open-minded HG peers. That's why I see the problem and don't know how to help. It's her choice of friends throw her off.

It's a self-caused problem.

She's going to continue to have friendship problems if she keeps doing what she's doing because she's doing it to herself.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by momsalwaysamom
    The jealousy problem that DD is facing is mainly from a small group of people but they are the one that she would choose over the nice, decent and open-minded HG peers. That's why I see the problem and don't know how to help. It's her choice of friends throw her off.

It's a self-caused problem.

She's going to continue to have friendship problems if she keeps doing what she's doing because she's doing it to herself.

That's why I'm so worried about it. She's drawn to the playfulness in people and she could only found it in the less capable group. She did find someone in the summer camp for the gifted last couple years ago but they live in Asia and N.Cal... Is it the area of the school I sent her limit her choice of friends? The two that she got along really well share all the traits, intellgence and even backgroud. Will this hurt her if she has to stay in this school for 3.5 more years? Is this just a phrase, a life traning experience to fight against the odds? I'm in doubt that's why I am here...

Last edited by momsalwaysamom; 01/25/13 02:50 PM.
    D
    D
    I would encourage you to google Rosalind Wiseman and check out her books and website. This seems to me more of a mean girl issue rather than a gifted issue. I really like Wiseman's approach to explicitly teaching girls how to choose friends, and how to allow yourself to be treated. Sometimes gifted girls try to pretend they are not gifted in order fit in with what they perceive to be the popular group...maybe that has something to do with it. Wishing your dd the best.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    PS to my previous post.

Kids in her school are not exposed to outside world. Some of them never leave town or never been to West LA., not to mention the world. We believe in seeing the world is more than just reading a book, therefore DD has been to places in Asia, Europe and more. It did open up her mind and that's why she can't find people who can feel the same share the fun... she knows she should not talk about it to make anyone feel bad. She has to restrict herself. Also the less they see the world, the less they will accept others with differences. Therefore, contradiction and misunderstanding take place. Does it make sense?....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM