Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Isa Offline
    I do not think that the presentator wanted to be mean to the boy but he nevertheless treated him like some kind of interesting phenomenon, to be observed, even admired but not really to be taken as 'one of us' as he had come from another planet and his feelings were somehow different form 'ours'.

L
    L
    My son watched the videos. He saw one of them not too long after the boy won the spelling bee and we read comments on teachers.net that made me wonder if we should reconsider trying out for our spelling bee. This came at a time when my son was talking about feeling that some people thought he was a "freak and a geek" in our sports obsessed town and he was beginning to realize that it was not just in our little piece of the world that people sometimes react negatively to extremely smart kids and think of them as "weird."

When my son was eight, my own sister who thought she had to be smarter because she has a college degree, seemed very irritated at a family dinner when my son knew something that she did not and said something that she disagreed with. My son was right and she was wrong. While he was sitting there she said he must have Asperger's because she had read an article in Time magazine and she thought it sounded like him. He calmly told her that he had read the same article and that he knew he had some similarities but that he did not have it. We told my sister that the doctor said he did not have it and she said the doctor must be wrong.

People have told me he must have Asperger's when they found out that he read at 2 and that he memorized things very quickly and he talked more like an adult. We never see anything on television about 2E kids like my son, so people try to classify him based on the few things they have seen or heard about gifted kids. The kids in the gifted classes at our public school are not doing some of the things at the levels my son did and then he had the sensory based motor issues on top of that so I can see why people might think my son has Asperger's. He is different from the normal gifted kids at our school. To me, he seems more articulate and verbal and at a higher mental age than the gifted kids his age that I have seen.

At one point he said he might just add Asperger's to the list of disorders that he tells people he has when trying to explain his differences, even though he knows that he does not have it, just to make things easier, because more people have heard of Asperger's and he has some similar issues. Most people have not heard of motor dyspraxia. He tries to laugh some of this off but I think it must bother him sometimes. In addition to "freak and a geek" he is now saying that he is a "sarcastic dyspraxic" and he was thinking of making up a little rap song to go along with it. I think his attitude about his disabiity and his ability to joke about it is one thing his friends like about him.

My son realized that he made some people uncomfortable with questions that were not easily answered or when he pointed out exceptions to the rules that he noticed. He has become a lot quieter since that realization. I feel sad about this, but like my son once told me, we have to deal with what is, not how it should be.

I don't watch much tv, and hardly had heard of Jimmy Kimmel when someone told me about a mock up video of Jimmy's girlfriend singing, "I'm bleeping Matt Damon". I had to go see it and it is really funny, though very crude humor. Jimmy did a video of his own in retaliation. It was called, "I'm bleeping Ben Affleck".

Way OT, but I have always enjoyed Matt Damon. It's fun to see him in this.

I haven't gone to check out the boy in question. AS is part of a very broad spectrum, and who am I to say whether he falls on it or where exactly he might place? No offense intended to the OP, I am sure she wasn't being malicious.

Originally Posted by Lori H.
    While he was sitting there she said he must have Asperger's because she had read an article in Time magazine and she thought it sounded like him. He calmly told her that he had read the same article and that he knew he had some similarities but that he did not have it.

If you ever let on to DS that you told that story here - give him a hug from me! Way to go Lori's son! I'm so proud of him! In my house the ability to act that way is considered 'normal.' Shame on sister! Next time you tell her that diagnosising children within earshot is off limits.

Go Lori H for homeschooling! You should be very proud of him.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am not ofended guys smile and I am truly sorry if I have offended any of you blush which I think I did. Never my intention.
    I am asking questions, because I know that many here have 2E kids, and I really know nothing about them. I did not post the links on purpose - if someone is interested he/she can look them up. I am not spreading sensation here, I think ?

Actually the interview with CNN shows the boy to be quite arrogant, IMO, but maybe it is only his lack of social skills.
    What I do not understand, is why, if he is 2E or having some kinds of "issues" (how else to put it , so I do not offend anyone again?), isn't it addressed somewhere during an interview?
    If there is an elephant in the room, introduce it. Much less questions would be asked afterward and everybody would feel more comfortable. "Issues" (???) were raised during interview with J, but never explained.
    I do not know what is a high functioning Aspergers, what are sensory issues etc. I quess that is why I am asking.
    The boy is brilliant....

Ania #14604 04/24/08 02:21 PM
    I get it Ania. I think sensory issues are quite common in our nueroatypical gifted world. Extreme intelligence is considered nueroatypical. It's easier to understand it if you know someone that is dealing with it.

AKA: Sarah Silverman is Jimmy Kimmel's girlfriend I think. She has a show called the Sarah Silverman program and my DH tivo's it. IF she was absolutely, stinking, hilarious, I would NEVER admit to that as her humor is highly juvenile, if not outright offensive. smile

p.s. wouldn't it be funny if someone googled Jimmy Kimmel and the search spider brought them to this conversation in this forum?!?!?!?!

I love irony (singing)

I had no idea that Silverman has her own show. Have you seen the Ben Affleck video clip? It has cameos by Harrison Ford, Brad Pitt, and many others. I have to say I was laughing out loud when I watched it.

Google is at times a scary thing... Check your own name and see what kind of weird hits you get!

The show's not running right now, but when it comes on again (comedy central?) you should check it out, it's high-larious...Ummm... I mean, just attrocious!!!!!

I have googled my real name many times and I come up with......bum bum bummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,nothing!

INCOGNEATO!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM