Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    MAmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend any content appropriate chapter books for my DS4? I can't seem to find many that don't involve elementary school social dynamics or scary topics. Thanks.

M
    M
    Mr. Putter and Tabby
    Henry and Mudge
    Encyclopedia Brown

The Mouse and the Motorcycle
    The Boxcar Children (?)

Might need to preview to check content-- some scary sections in both for a 4yo, probably.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    ABC mysteries, Calendar mysteries by Ron Roy. DS loved them at 4-5 and we loved them because there was no friend drama whatsoever!!! They liked each other, their parents were nice. No orphans! But they had a neat little mystery to it.

Frog and Toad
    Commander toad series by Jane yolen - hilarious rip off of Star Trek
    Magic school bus chapter books - the science and language are actually easier than the original picture books - which I highly recommend too
    Mammoth academy series by Neil Layton

D
    D
    George and Martha series

I would also not necessarily jump to chapter books at 4. For read-aloud, great-- but know that picture books have gotten much more complex and interesting in recent years. Befriend a children's librarian and let them help you choose.

DeeDee

M
    M
    I would second all of the choices on here (although I have bypassed the Boxcar Children for my newly 4-year-old). We've also had success with:

Series:
    Cam Jansen
    Nate the Great
    Bones

Authors we love:
    Arnold Lobel
    Cynthia Rylant
    Doug Cushman (Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery and others)
    Kevin Henkes (not chapter books but nice stories and pictures)

As a space fanatic, he loves the Commander Toad series.

We've just started getting into Magic Treehouse, which I was concerned would be too scary. However, he's loved the three that we've read. Likewise, we've also just started reading the A-Z mysteries, which again have received a good reception (and are not too scary, but usually involve robberies - so I've had to explain the legal system to him, which we now reenact with Legos).

I like the suggestion of picture books. I haven't had much luck with our librarians. Can anyone suggest good picture books for 4-year-old readers, too?

Oh, SO glad that someone mentioned Magic Tree House. DD devoured those when she was about five. She also really liked the DK Eyewitness books and Magic Schoolbus.

Another set of books that my DD was very fond of--

the Frances books,

the Little Bear books.

She also REALLY loved all of Jan Brett's books at about this age-- the illustrations are lovely and intricate, and there is a considerable amount of text on each page in some of them.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by mcswones
    I like the suggestion of picture books. I haven't had much luck with our librarians. Can anyone suggest good picture books for 4-year-old readers, too?
    Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs - endlessly funny.

One thing that we found helpful in finding books that were generally good quality (as opposed to looking for a particular lexile level or something) was to run down the Caldecott medalist lists (and later, the Newbery winner and honor books).

Since we were checking things out at the library, I didn't worry too much if something were a real hit with DD or not. If not, back it went, and if so, well, then if she LOVED it so much that I had to renew it several times... that was a book that we put on our wishlist.

Some of the wonderful picture books that we bought because we loved them so much:

Sun Bread
    Imogen's Antlers
    The Rainbow Goblins
    Doctor Dog (this one may appeal to the same crowd that will later fall head over heels for Captain Underpants, by the way, but we LOVE this book and still recite it sing-song occasionally.)

I also bought some beautifully illustrated books of poetry for children, a complete set of Shel Silverstein, and several nicely illustrated editions of Alice in Wonderland, the Wizard of Oz, The Velveteen Rabbit, and fairy tale anthologies. Kate diCamillo is probably just a touch old as of yet-- but Edward Tulane is a lovely story which is probably great even now as a read-aloud, and the illustrations are wonderful.

Mary Poppins.

Generally, as you go OLDER (in terms of publication dates), you get higher lexiles with lower "interest" scores. That is, the younger content comes with higher level literacy. It also, unfortunately, comes with some interesting cultural baggage at times, so do be cautious about that and read carefully.

U
    U
    For you to read aloud or to read solo?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM