Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD has a built-in vulnerability that I'm not sure she CAN eliminate without changing who she is-- she wanted a real connection with a true peer. She wanted it so badly that she was willing to ignore red flags, and the abuser was pretty savvy about her weaknesses (having studied her at some length prior to engaging with her). So what is the answer? Insulate herself from authentic human needs? Make herself less kind and accepting of others' faults? Be more judgmental? I'm not sure that she can do any of those things and still be who she is. If she changes who she is in order to abuse-proof herself... then hasn't the abuser won the ultimate prize, in some respects? He's then truly destroyed what was amazing, unique, and admirable about her.

It may really be painful for her to come to terms with that dichotomy. It's proving very hard for her dad, that's for sure.

I'm of the opinion that she has to find a way to establish mindful boundaries for herself, and note when those tripwires are disturbed in a relationship. To do that, I think she's going to need to evaluate what happened here in very painstaking terms-- because the signs were there, all right; but they were very subtle indeed initially.

But isn't this what everyone has to learn - regardless of LOG - where do I begin and others end - where is the part of me that cannot be eroded by being nice or sensitive or caring about others. The issue here - as I see it from the other side of my iPad smile is not the need for a peer - but the need, or neediness which is triggered by the LOG. And this is something that she has all too common with her age mates - 13 -16 year old girls do a lot of stupid stuff to feel a connection, usually with a boy. It's not relevant here but all those sexually active girls are rarely doing it for their own pleasure but for the need to be wanted or liked or in. Back to the LOG, can you get her more peer connections through THINK or other opportunities? Made if she had a fuller circle she would not have been so vulnerable.

It's unfortunately the opposite if the other thread where the two kids are 150 miles apart but connected - but LOG does not eliminate finding the pits in the bowl of cherries. If only it did!

Hugs to you both!

DeHe

OP Offline
    Yes, I think that is true, DeHe. It's about the very normal (and even somewhat age-appropriate) need for a "true peer" coupled with a few unique twists that elevate difficulty--

the scarcity of other PG peers in a general sense,

even among PG peers, what she is seeking out in terms of friendship is probably not age-appropriate for most adolescents,
    and
    she also has a fairly limited/small social circle because of disability challenges (this absolutely precludes summer camps/workshops for the most part).

So while this is a need that we've been TRYING to see met, we've simply never had much luck in this department in spite of our efforts. In other words, widening that circle to eliminate this vulnerability probably elevates risk in the disability-related department to a place which is-- well, inadvisable, let's just say.

There's a reason why fatality stats for people like her peak at "young, teenaged girl." It has everything to do with that need for inclusion-- at ANY price. In other words, if she were allowed to do things that came with unpredictable/variable/volatile risk, she'd probably make bad decisions there, too-- for exactly the same reasons that she did it here. So unfair that our choices seem to be "risk death" or "no chance to meet emotional developmental needs."

This is the other reason why I think we're looking for a real gem of a therapist; this has to be someone that understands that SOME anxiety-- and even fear-- is completely adaptive, and even helpful, as long as DD is listening to her inner voice with the conviction that it won't lie to her. Often, that inner voice is wiser than any other person who COULD advise her.

I also suspect that "group" sessions are likely to alienate her rather than being helpful. The question is whether or not she'd be able to fully relate (or more to the point whether she would be comfortable with others' ability to relate to HER) with a group of same-age or same-grade peers. She simply doesn't care about the things that she sees her peers (either group) posting about on Facebook or talking about with one another. She cares about other things-- she loves politics, current events, social justice, scientific discoveries, geek culture, etc.

It feels like she's looking for a needle in a field of haystacks to find that ONE person who is interested in who she actually is... wants and is developmentally ready for a close/intimate friendship... AND can manage to accept/accommodate the disability without flinching. She's been a best friend to a number of people over the years. But she's never HAD a best friend.

So I know exactly how someone like this could get to her. But there seems to be dishearteningly little to prevent such a thing from happening again and again, because we can't seem to do much to mitigate the vulnerability that's behind it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Wow, HK, it's just so sad. I really wish there were more options for your DD. maybe this is one way the asynchronous development can help and maybe she can get to the kind of revelatory thinking she needs in a shorter period time. I do hope you find that Gem of a therapist. I don't know where I fall on your spectrum of attitudes about therapy - but having used one to get over a traumatic event - I found it didn't fundamentally change me but gave me the tools to stop the self destructive manner in which I approached thinking about the event, specifically I learned to cut off my endless replay of what went wrong. I learned to not do what was destructive to me. It was very helpful

DeHe

D
    D
    And naturally, any camp that could possibly accommodate for the medical disability doesn't see PG kids too often, so finding the peer group is really tough.

I feel for her.

DeeDee

OP Offline
    I feel for her, too-- though we definitely don't let her SEE that very often. Self-pity doesn't really solve anything, unfortunately. The one bit of very good news is that she tends toward introversion naturally, so she doesn't find not having a lot of close friends to be that awful most of the time, and would probably choose this over "too much" social contact.

I do think that her innate disposition (probably not the right term) may allow her to recover her intact self very well-- but recovering that inner core is my top priority because I've literally NEVER known another person like her. She is an amazing treasure. Oh, sure, she's very bright and interesting to talk to-- but that isn't what is so remarkable about her.

She's just got this-- self-contained, self-possessed THING about her. She's very passive but immovable, if that makes sense. It's this core inside her that nothing really "touches" without her explicit, conscious permission. She is just about the only person I've ever known who seemingly CANNOT remain angry at another person on her own behalf. That negative stuff just passes through her without sticking; she expects little from others, and doesn't take it personally when they are all too human. She's not the Dalai Lama or anything (well, I don't think so, anyway)-- she can be mouthy and snotty... but she's pretty much never petty or mean-spirited, and I don't think she has held a grudge over ANYTHING (and believe me, she's seen plenty that would lead me to have some grudges). She can take pretty in-your-face discrimination and just shrug about it-- it doesn't "own" her long term, or eat at her. I can't really describe it in terms that make any sense, but it's unmistakable and almost eerily super-human. It's definitely part of what I consider her "gifts" socially-- it's a kind of awareness of others' inner landscape and capabilities-- she never asks for more than another person can deliver, or resents their shortcomings. She just accepts and mostly forgives. As a parent, I can't begin to describe how humbling it is to sheepishly apologize for losing your temper at your 6yo and have solemn, knowing eyes reassuring you that it's already been forgiven because you were just being human.

Really, letting this other kid get inside that firewall of hers and misjudging him so completely? A complete aberration, and to her-- a full system failure. To her, "how did this happen" is a pretty important question in light of that.

I think we're hoping for just that, DeHe. If she can get someone to help her see that she shouldn't feel ashamed and should accept that she made mistakes, this is what they were, now that we know that, moving along...

We just don't want to see her repeat the mistake, because she draws unstable/wounded/hurting people to her like moths to a flame (I suspect, and so do others who know her, that it's this very inner serenity that is so appealing), so it won't be the last time that she runs into one of this kind.

I'm finally seeing signs that she's recovering inside, so that is one huge relief to me. I was so afraid that this had damaged that core in her-- and that really would have been a horrible thing. Like defacing a natural wonder or something.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Really, letting this other kid get inside that firewall of hers and misjudging him so completely? A complete aberration, and to her-- a full system failure. To her, "how did this happen" is a pretty important question in light of that.

Well, because she's human.

And because he is very, very good at it.

Apparently, he has a THING, too, only he apparently likes to use it to emotionally twist people for his own amusement.

Z
    Z
    Random therapy suggestion... listening to Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know" a lot.

Another less random thought... a point of view that I found that kept me in a balanced place... The mind is more complex than just intelligence... as in there is philosophy, worldview, interests, ethics, morality, emotions, etc. then a principle based approach to dealing with people is that an area of self is only available to people who are compatible in that area. Quick summary is that if someone isn't ethically and morally compatible, you can still engage them intellectually but just not emotionally. Not something I've articulated before, but it might be a perspective she can work form without spoiling her essence.

E
    E
    HK...

I have been meaning to post on here for a few days, and am just finding the time to sit and do it. I'm so sorry that your dd has been dealing with this creep...and that it's hurting her so much. I can generally stomach when my kids get hurt physically (and have many gruesome stories to attest to that)...but watching them deal with emotional pain in the realm of rejection and acceptance - torture! That pain is soul pain.

Anyway, as someone who does therapy with tweens/teens/college age, here's my 2 cents worth of advice in choosing a therapist for your dd: An adolescent therapist must choose wisely what walls they knock upon, prod, peek around, and pursue - and what walls they best leave be lest everything collapse. There is an art to this, and I feel this is the key factor for teens. They have defences up for a reason and sometimes desperately need to keep them up. Find a therapist who can talk to you about how they work with teens and how they deal with resistence. Find out how they include or disclude a parent from participating. My challenge is to walk a thin line between helping a parent feel equipped and plugged into their teen while giving the teen a private area to vent. It's a tricky line.

Sometimes, a parent and I decide a teen is just not ready for therapy - or that therapy might be harmful in some way. If the parent(s) wants, we work together to help a parent become the therapeutic go-between and to fine-tune ways a parent can increase their communication/positive relationship while still setting needed boundaries.

GL.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM