Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 167 of 268 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 267 268
    A
    A
    DD4 (will be 5 in 2 months) can "read" 6 digit numbers, and is starting to add 2 digit numbers.

She has a great interest in geography and when she met my friend from Finland the other day, DD asked her if Finland was as cold as Iceland.

She heard that the temperature was 11 (F) outside and said - oh, it is cold enough to snow since it is colder than 32

Last edited by alicat; 01/03/13 12:56 PM.
    DS5's favorite activity at the moment is listing all the countries of the world in alphabetical order...from memory.

This is not really a brag but I am not sure how he did this. He has a chart of 100 random letters in no specific order he is reading out loud for Vision Therapy. After reading it once a day for 5 days he all of a sudden sat at the table and recited the whole chart from memory....I must say I was shocked.

I took out finger paints and crayons today.

Apparently wax crayons and water-based finger-paints make REALLY nice atom diagrams.

That is all.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    Apparently wax crayons and water-based finger-paints make REALLY nice atom diagrams.
    :-) This reminds me of the other day when DS was tackling a 3D geometry question and was having trouble visualising it. He decided to make a model with plasticine, did so, saw immediately how to answer the question rigorously, and the next thing I knew he was bringing me plasticine robots and interestingly mottled cut faces of pladticine to inspect. Asynchrony, gottalovit.

(Well, makes a change from "bump above spam"!)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Just saw this - countries in order at 5 - wow.

I love this thread.

Last edited by mom123; 01/07/13 02:13 PM.
    Um... back again.

DS3.5 just built a model airplane by himself. He turned the light back on after being put to bed. 15 pieces, so not the world's most complex model, but... hunh. I was't expecting that.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela,

In a year or two, you can probably put him to work assembling IKEA flatpack stuff...I'm just sayin'.

grin

mo

L
    L
    Two quick brags
    Dd3.3 sits down to draw a car and draws two lines. When I ask her what they are, she says wheels. "But why are they looking like lines instead of circles?"
    She continues to complete the drawing and then says," mom, this drawing is from the front of the car. So the wheels look like lines. The circle shape is on this side(pointing sideways)." Ps. It was an amazing drawing with wipers and side mirrors.

She has been asking me about why people have different skin color. My cousin, who is a bio major was visiting us this holidays so I asked dd to ask him the question. My cousin explained to her about melanin and sunlight exposure etc. She listened carefully. Two weeks later when we met a person with a dark complexion, she explained to me in detail why that person's skin was darker. I am so glad that my cousin explained it so scientifically and matter-of-factly to her instead of dumbing it down bcos she sure got it!

F
    F
    EJism of the day: (a little background.. he went to the main library on a field trip today and checked out a book on WWI) "Momma why are there wars?" Me: "because sometimes people think war solves the worlds problems" EJ: "Maybe they should just have a dance contest or something" Me: "I like that idea!"

A
    A
    This is a joke non-academic brag:

DS14mo is a smooth Casanova. Today he captured the hearts of two young ladies at once-- 12 and 19 months old, respectively-- and even had one following him around in search of kisses. Well played!

Naturally, we mothers were cracking up!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 167 of 268 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM