Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Btw, how do you make flour from scratch? (Impressive!). I made bread for awhile, but never flour...
    My mother used to do this when I was young and we were dirt poor (my father supported a family of four on a Ph.D. stipend). She would buy chicken feed and grind it into flour with an attachment on her mixer.
    You can buy whole grains that are for human consumption once you're not quite so poor too! It's fun, provided you have a mill or attachment (there are manual and electric ones) and it's even quite sensible as, unlike flour, the grains keep practically forever so you can buy in bulk; we get 8kg buckets.

This is also the ONLY way that you can purchase some non-wheat, non-Poaceae 'grains' (really pseudo-grains) which can be used as substitutes which are not likely to be heavily contaminated with nuts, soy, sesame seeds and wheat-relatives.
    Some of them go rancid so quickly, though, that meant grinding only what you need in the recipe-- 1/2 c. 1 c. A coffee mill is ideal. But laborious. Teff tastes exactly like dirt, by the way. (Just so everyone knows. It's expensive dirt, though.)

Okay-- let's just add, here, that too much time on my hands wasn't the sole stressor in my life at that point. My rule is that we never-- ever-- talk about the pumpkin tapioca... er... "pancakes" (really, "pan-fried jello" is a closer but still fairly generous euphemism) episode when DD was two. I cried because that was all that I could come up with to safely feed my child for dinner, and believe me, I wouldn't have eaten them if every one had come with a twenty dollar bill. sick Add in a few trips to the emergency room every time I got anything "wrong" (and sometimes when I didn't, at least as far as I could sleuth using every available means and countless hours for weeks afterwards) and it's pretty clear why this was a recipe for MAJOR mental health problems of a perfectionism/OCD nature. Everything about this lifestyle encourages anxiety disorders.

One of the "rules" about living this way is that you check packaged food THREE TIMES; before purchase, as you put it in the pantry, and every time you use it. Yes, rules about the proper number of times to read something. LOL. Oh, and you should count to TEN slowly when you inject epinephrine. And carry more than one dose. And mix lot numbers in those doses. And track peak-flow numbers daily. Keep a food diary. Make notes on recipe modifications so that you know what works and what doesn't (all of my cookbooks have to have wide margins-- I look for it). And check the expiry dates on prescription medications in emergency bag weekly. Nothing from outside the house goes onto the kitchen table or counters. Wash your hands every time you come through an outside door. wink

I didn't actually have OCD, I don't think, but I sure looked pathological, and it was the first time I'd really felt the pull of how easy it would be to just give in to it and become some frenzied scurrying, endlessly-checking terrified creature making up rules about what I needed to do so that the universe wouldn't punish me or my family anymore. I was definitely stressed out and it showed.

I'm happy to say that I've (mostly) recovered, even though I still do most of those things above-- I just don't do them with the sort of awed FERVOR that I used to, and I don't compulsive clean to burn nervous energy. My spouse is less happy with my recovery, however. The house often looks like bomb filled with paper, food preparation, textbooks, laundry, and whatever my DD is into these days (right now it's jewelry findings and tools and beads) has gone off somewhere inside. I mean, no-- we're not hoarders or anything. But this is what homeschooling tends to result in. LOL.

Anyway. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    My DDs health issues have made me seem agoraphobic (terrified of her stealing or being given food so we just stayed home). It didn't take many iterations of playground/park disaster for me to not want to leave the house... imagine cute toddler tries to steal fruit in the playground... Crazed mother (me) looks up from aspy eldest child and/or adhd middle child and sees toddler stalking stranger's picnic - comes running (and screaming) to prevent ingestion. Confused strangers say "it's fine, she can share the watermelon". I say "no thank you she can't eat any fruit.", they smile and say "ok, would she like a strawberry instead?". I stare mutely, wondering in which universe is that not a fruit? Most people know not to share nuts with toddlers but cannot comprehend fruit being dangerous. I just look like a raving looney as I say "Don't touch the fruit-(some)vegetable-gluten-dairy-soy-nuts-egg-corn-etc thing! It will make you sick! Here, have a chip..."

Last edited by MumOfThree; 01/07/13 01:51 AM.
    U
    U
    (Perfectionist thinking: "Oh well, if I had tried, I could have done the best in the class.")

(Perfectionist thinking: "I didn't have enough time. If I had started earlier when everyone else did, it would have been perfect.")

Yeah. I had to be explicitly told that people think this way, btw. I am not a perfectionist, but my DH is and my DD is is developing some tendencies in certain areas. She sometimes does the bare minimum on writing assignments (she's a talented writer--if she tries) and has been avoiding or phoning in art (she's very artistic). I actually taught her the phrase "phone it in" this year to use as shorthand. She has tearfully admitted that sometimes she's afraid to try because if she tries her best and it's not great, that's devastating, but if you don't try hard and it's not good, your self esteem stays intact, because you know you didn't try.

My DH admits that he intentionally leaves things till the last minute so that time pressure can serve as an excuse for why it wasn't perfect, although he also says he does this so he doesn't have time to obsessively rework things again and again.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I didn't actually have OCD, I don't think, but I sure looked pathological, and it was the first time I'd really felt the pull of how easy it would be to just give in to it and become some frenzied scurrying, endlessly-checking terrified creature making up rules about what I needed to do so that the universe wouldn't punish me or my family anymore. I was definitely stressed out and it showed.

I'm happy to say that I've (mostly) recovered, even though I still do most of those things above-- I just don't do them with the sort of awed FERVOR that I used to, and I don't compulsive clean to burn nervous energy. My spouse is less happy with my recovery, however. The house often looks like bomb filled with paper, food preparation, textbooks, laundry, and whatever my DD is into these days (right now it's jewelry findings and tools and beads) has gone off somewhere inside. I mean, no-- we're not hoarders or anything. But this is what homeschooling tends to result in. LOL.

Anyway. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. smile

LOL. We could be cut from the same cloth.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    My DH admits that he intentionally leaves things till the last minute so that time pressure can serve as an excuse for why it wasn't perfect, although he also says he does this so he doesn't have time to obsessively rework things again and again.

My DW is the OCD in the house. I'm quite the opposite... there are some times where my very best is called for, but most of the time, it's, "Meh," because things are either not interesting, not important, or both. In order to get through a lot of these things, I deliberately leave them to the last minute, in order to give them a sense of urgency that they otherwise would not have had.

I also find I do my best work under pressure. And I quite enjoy it.

In order to keep this behavior from becoming career-limiting, I find myself setting my own deadlines. If someone comes to me with a request without a deadline ("Oh, whenever... no rush."), I'll give them a time in which I'll have it out to them. Otherwise, I'll probably forget all about it. If it's not important to them, it's certainly not important to me.

Contrast this attitude with DW's, in which everyday events are imminent crises, and things get interesting.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM