Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 268 of 268 1 2 266 267 268
    Originally Posted by aeh
    EM,

I missed this earlier (somehow I was having trouble loading the forum for a while)...and will have to check on the YouTube link in a bit when it decides to work!

But I love the way your DS is combining two of his passions! Some time ago, our DC1 randomly bumped into a post-doc on the bus who combines STEM research with serious classical composition. So others have found paths forward.

And 13,

Just keep prioritizing the joy of learning and growing for its own sake! I'm glad you're enjoying your current interests and explorations.

Thank you aeh. Do you know any psychologists who administer the WISC online? That or psychologists who are interested in studying the personality traits of adolescents online?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    13umm,

As it happens, since the pandemic, the number of professionals who do online assessment has increased dramatically, mostly through a few vendors who contract to school districts who are having difficulty hiring enough local staff, but they are very unlikely to do private assessments, as the instruments are still best administered in-person, for standardization reasons.

I think you might consider contacting the psychology department at whatever research university (preferably) is nearest you and asking if there is a faculty member who would be willing to answer some of these questions. You come across as a poised and confident young person in your communications here, and I suspect there is someone on a nearby faculty who would enjoy at least a little conversation with you. In particular, if there is anyone doing research on giftedness at such an institution, they might appreciate your inititiative and curiousity. (I know I do!) As you know, there is a great deal one can learn in correspondence on the internet, but nothing really replaces a nuanced, free-flowing conversation with an interested and thoughtful conversational partner. A local professional might know about resources of the kind you are seeking that are accessible in-person.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Originally Posted by aeh
    13umm,

As it happens, since the pandemic, the number of professionals who do online assessment has increased dramatically, mostly through a few vendors who contract to school districts who are having difficulty hiring enough local staff, but they are very unlikely to do private assessments, as the instruments are still best administered in-person, for standardization reasons.

I think you might consider contacting the psychology department at whatever research university (preferably) is nearest you and asking if there is a faculty member who would be willing to answer some of these questions. You come across as a poised and confident young person in your communications here, and I suspect there is someone on a nearby faculty who would enjoy at least a little conversation with you. In particular, if there is anyone doing research on giftedness at such an institution, they might appreciate your inititiative and curiousity. (I know I do!) As you know, there is a great deal one can learn in correspondence on the internet, but nothing really replaces a nuanced, free-flowing conversation with an interested and thoughtful conversational partner. A local professional might know about resources of the kind you are seeking that are accessible in-person.

I will get in touch with a nearby psychology department.

Page 268 of 268 1 2 266 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM