Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    First day went well yesterday. Teacher seems to get it already, without me saying anything yet. She said "I think it was much TOO easy for him today. But we will step it up and make it more challenging for you. And we will work one on one too!"

I have yet to have a discussion with her and my intuition is to wait.I feel it is more respectful and less desperate to give her some space for a couple of weeks. I am sure she is expecting a request to talk since she SHOULD have found out from the director about DS's abilities.

E
    OP Offline
    E

How awesome! My ds' poor teacher is so busy "herding" 22 new kindergarteners that I haven't said a word either. My ds was first up for show and tell, and he brought a journal he made from a summer trip with grandparents (hid idea to make the journal and to take it). He said he "read a few of the entries", so I guess she gets the early reading thing.:)

Our teachers just settled yesterday on a new contract, so they will not be striking. Yay! Now maybe we can get to the business of teaching kids.

Evemomma, I take it learning to read "The Cat Is Black" will not be needed then...;-)

We are lucky that DS's class has only 12 kids with 2 teachers. I am thinking maybe she WILL be able to do one on one...

S
    S
    DD met her teachers last night/this morning (sub and regular teacher who had a baby). She gave the sub the card she made with pictures and writing and got a big reaction from her manner of talking about her name/nickname... Then we did a pre-assessment and they said she really well. Said she all her K sight words--then I got brave and talked about her reading fluently and some at one, and keeping herself awake at night to make mental plot charts and examples of chiasmus... So things she really loves to learn about to do during LA time.., we'll see how all the differentiation talk pans out but at least we're on the right track I guess! DD is beyond excited to start; I hope it all works out well enough!

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Sounds like her teachers will have at least some grasp of her abilities (Yay!). I have no idea what assessments they do at our school. My ds came home today with an "all about me" page. His teacher filled in everyone's answers as she went around the room. A few of my ds' answers: "What I like to do most is...learn about science and math." "When I grow up, I want to be...either a scientist or a cartologist or a mailman." (LOL)

BTW: what they say is true. Ds was a major grouch today from being tired. His fellow bus-stop-mate fell asleep on the 8 minute ride home and nearly missed her stop...eek!

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    So here we are at winter break. How has the first semester gone for your kindergarteners?

The highlight of my son's school year so far is his first best friend. His friend is a very sweet boy that emptied out his own piggy bank to buy my son a special present for Christmas.

M
    M
    KJP- that is so sweet! A best friend is important! How's the rest of kindergarten going?
    For my ds, we're managing. Glad it's Christmas break- needing a break. I wouldn't say kindergarten is a complete mess, but it's not good. I think my ds (and maybe even I ) are just learning to deal. He has not found a friend yet, though is friendly. He tries to please his teacher, but is bored. His teacher has worked ok at math differentiation (wierd, right?). But the pace and repeatition drives him crazy. Had MAP testing again with math 97% and reading 98%. My current plan is to enjoy the holidays, then figure out what next to say/ ask of his teacher.
    Hope to hear that other kindergarteners are having a good year! And what helped/ worked to make it better.

S
    S
    We're having a good year. It took a while because we had a maternity leave sub for six weeks, but we finally met and the teacher seems to be a real expert at differentiating. Things are finally taking off, and the welcome reaction we got to the discussion bodes well. Dd loves school, she likes the friends and schooly stuff, but she has asked for acceleration, which she'll get more of now. She just has to find the fun in stretching while they sound out easy words and use their arms to show blending... Kinda cool really, but she's bugged by phonics. But then she mopes about not liking books, HA, the child who made me read to her for three straight years of her life. She's really into math, so whatever. She has some best friends and gets along pretty well with everyone, tho I think some of the girls are starting clique stuff and etc al-freaking-ready. I am sure the teachers will step in if alerted, but for now DD's going to learn to ignore some stuff. She loves rough housing and silly things they all do, but eh. Could be worse I hear from other patents whose kids are exposed to trash tv etc on the playground. She's really gotten the hang of school, tho she rarely goes potty til I take her back in after each day. Feeling really grateful for this school!

Hope most folks have a good year, or find a clear new path... smile

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I think for the most part it is going well. This time last year we pulled him out of preschool because he couldn't handle being in class. Now he is able to handle the routines, transitions and classroom expectations. He likes his teachers, he has friends and is making academic progress.

We have teacher conferences next month. It will be interesting to hear what his teacher thinks.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Good to hear everyone's updates! I would say "fine" as in his teacher reports that he is a happy, cooperative and sociable student (Yay)...but the only differentiation DS is getting is in reading - and even that is too easy. My biggest sadness is DS no longer sees school as a place of learning. I've also seen his thirst for gobbling up new info wane. Who knew summer would mean looking forward to HITTING the books?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM