Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There is a new math game available from CTY, it is called Descarte's Cove. It consists of 6 CDs and is recommended for kids in grades 6-8.
    http://cty.jhu.edu/cde/cove/index.html

Anyone here familiar with this game?
    Specific questions - how long does it take to master each level? I know that IT DEPENDS, but rough estimates would be appreciated.
    How do you/your kids like the game? How is it different from what you have seen before? Does the fact that it was developed by CTY make it a "gifted" game?

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I will post what has been said so far in a different thread.

Originally Posted By: Ania
    Great thoughts, Cathy!

Can I ask you some questions about Descartes' Cove game, or has this been discussed in a different post already?

Sure. We haven't played all of it yet. DS is working on the easiest level (Measurement) which is about unit conversions, decimals and metric system. There is other stuff thrown in, though like formulas for volumes and areas of different shapes. I checked out the Algebra level and there were some reasonable tricky problems on there. Good for stretching your brain!

Last edited by Ania; 04/24/08 10:55 AM.
    Originally Posted by Ania
    Specific questions - how long does it take to master each level?

Each level has a different number of problems ranging from 90 to 150. Each problem is a word problem, typically requiring the use of more than one math concept. My DS and I work together on this and we do about 10 problems in a sitting (< 1 hour.) There is no time limit on any part of the game. There are no arithmetic drills of any kind but arithmetic is needed to solve the problems. If it is arithmetic that DS doesn't know how to do yet and it seems too lengthy to explain I let him use a calculator. Some problems are multiple choice, others are not.

The program can also be used a self-study course. The final problems on each level can be used as an assessment. The game also comes with a teaching manual and solutions disk.

How do you/your kids like the game? How is it different from what you have seen before?

DS loves the game format and premise of being marooned on the island. As a reward for solving problems players collect coins and equipment needed to build vehicles of escape. The coins can be used to buy hints on problems. Players also have access to Descartes' notebook which is a source of free hints (a tricky way to get them to read the textbook smile )

Other math games we have are heavy on the calculation and light on the concepts. Most of our other math games at his level are action games designed for older kids with better hand-eye coordination which is frustrating for him.

Does the fact that it was developed by CTY make it a "gifted" game?

I don't know about that, but it is designed to appeal to deep thinkers and tinkerers. Also, kids can skip around, they don't have to do the problems in a specific order and they don't have to do the levels in a specific order.

I looked at this, and since it was CTY, I assumed it was probably pretty true for the age range recommended. Is this right? Where does one have to be in terms of math education to make the game worthwhile?

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM