Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 16 of 33 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 32 33
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    Thanks val and mithawk, honestly I would prefer NOT to bring it up to the teacher because the last time I said something she did not react well (see my earlier posts about the categorization of the word stranger as something someone does).

My concern is that, although no grade was put on the test, he is a perfectionist and internalizes these grades as his own failure ("I'm bad at science"). We are working on this separately, but incidents like this don't help at all.

I think I have been avoiding undermining the teacher's authority by telling him that the questions are poorly written and that he is in fact correct. But I guess I am going to have to do that, though, in order for him to feel secure in his own abilities, which is ultimately more important.

The way I see it, there's more to it than just confidence in his abilities. There's also the ability to think critically, which is vital. As our kids encounter these situations, if they're taught not to question the content because it comes from an authority, the problem is with them, then critical thinking goes right out the window.

These bad questions are paddle creatures, slapping kids in the face whenever they start thinking, and the result is we're raising a nation of vogons.

This is also something that separates the good teachers from the bad, because I had a number of teachers who openly recognized when the material had something wrong with it. It was not uncommon, for instance, for a teacher to announce the answers to a couple of bad test questions.

Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    I would be shocked if the answer were not Y = 1.5X + 2. The y-intercept has to be 2 if you want to model the situation as a linear relationship. Because of the wording in the first sentence of the problem, I just assumed that the increase is 1.5 miles each week even though he jogs every day.

Except that the problem clearly stated they wanted X to equal the week number, and Y to equal the number of miles run. The function y = 1.5x + 2 does not describe that relationship.

The linear equation y = 2 + 1.5(x - 1) does have a Y intercept of 0.5, so that's probably the answer the teacher is looking for. It's just that, in the context of the question, it's nonsensical.

Originally Posted by Dude
    Thanks val and mithawk, honestly I would prefer NOT to bring it up to the teacher because the last time I said something she did not react well (see my earlier posts about the categorization of the word stranger as something someone does).

My concern is that, although no grade was put on the test, he is a perfectionist and internalizes these grades as his own failure ("I'm bad at science"). We are working on this separately, but incidents like this don't help at all.

I think I have been avoiding undermining the teacher's authority by telling him that the questions are poorly written and that he is in fact correct. But I guess I am going to have to do that, though, in order for him to feel secure in his own abilities, which is ultimately more important.

The way I see it, there's more to it than just confidence in his abilities. There's also the ability to think critically, which is vital. As our kids encounter these situations, if they're taught not to question the content because it comes from an authority, the problem is with them, then critical thinking goes right out the window.

These bad questions are paddle creatures, slapping kids in the face whenever they start thinking, and the result is we're raising a nation of vogons.

This is also something that separates the good teachers from the bad, because I had a number of teachers who openly recognized when the material had something wrong with it. It was not uncommon, for instance, for a teacher to announce the answers to a couple of bad test questions.

We are raising a nation of Vogons. smirk Ugh.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    One of my favorites:

True or false: 2 + X = 3

(No other information was given)

M
    M
    Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    One of my favorites:

True or false: 2 + X = 3

(No other information was given)

I'll bite. Was the answer "true"?

F
    F
    not if x = 5

smile

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A friend suggested that the answer is "Yes" because the statement is true-or-false.

Along those lines, here's a question on DD's homework today:

"Jenny wrote a fraction. The numerator was 7. The denominator was more than the numerator. What was the fraction?"

Last edited by Val; 12/03/12 06:08 PM.
    Ooo-ooo! I know this one.

The fraction is... ≠ 1, or more properly the absolute value of this fraction is > 1, since it didn't really specify that the number was both positive AND larger in value than the numerator.

Heheh.

DD hates those "yes" true-or-false questions. She can go around and around with them, eventually just melting down over the sheer stupidity of it all.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by Dude

Yes, I have decided to discuss the "bad questions" more directly with DS rather than address the issue with the teacher (especially since I can't think of a way to bring it up with her in a way that would not make her feel defensive!) From now on my approach will be to make such questions a learning experience if possible.

On a positive note: it turns out that sheet was not the actual science test but a practice. He brought home his test today with a 100%. Main difference: it was open answered where the kids were able to write out and explain their answers. So, since he actually did understand the concepts he did much better with this format rather than the previous one where he had to second guess what the teacher was thinking.

S
    S
    List three ways by which the parents of a child who fell in a frozen lake in winter can prevent further heat loss.

-If it were a frozen lake, it'd be ice... so you can't fall into it unless you break the ice.
    - The parents of the child can prevent further heat loss by going inside near the heater and leaving the child to drown.

Page 16 of 33 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM