Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    There are two things I would do if I were in your place - first, I'd want to have a copy of each test and as many of your ds' homework assignments (graded) as possible. While it's possible this is entirely a bad teacher fit, you also have mentioned your ds wasn't accelerated in math this year and you had to request it. While he had high test scores at some point in time and a comment that he should be capable of working ahead of grade level, that was several years ago (if I understand correctly), and that was also before he was attempting a higher level of math. I would want to be sure that I understood whether or not there are challenges for my ds related to the actual work.

Second thing is request a classroom change. I suspect there is no way you'll be able to turn around the relationship with this current teacher.

One other note - back to your OP where you noted your ds reads calculus for fun at home - just fwiw - I have a 2E dd who is challenged in reading (different challenge for sure), but fwiw, she reads much higher level books at home than she does at school and she enjoys them. BUT she's not taking in the content of those books the way she needs to to be successful in school. I only mention this because I think it's quite possible your ds might be able to read and enjoy higher level math at home, but still not be at that ability level for problem-solving.

It's tough sometimes to see the full picture when a teacher-student relationship is such a poor fit - we have totally btdt with one of my ds' teachers (although at a much younger age). My only advice in hindsight is to try to deal with the teacher as one issue but also don't ignore that there might be something real going on with math (lack of interest, lack of motivation, not as highly able as you had hoped, some type of challenge, whatever).

Best wishes,

polarbear

Yes to MoN, PolarBear, and Kcab's advice.

Oy, have we been there with poor teacher fit-- my daughter is virtually unrecognizable as a student with a teacher that either takes the "stoic" approach with her, or actively "doesn't believe" in her ability.

Something about the "no seat is far enough" comment raised MY hackles, as well. I'd ask about that (as calmly as you can)-- perhaps this is a teacher who is looking for behavioral problems that can be attributed to "immaturity" or "inappropriate relative to older classmates."

We've seen that before, too. Not often, mind. But I have seen it, and there is NO way to win with a teacher like that, because they have a different (higher?) set of standards for YOUR child in particular, and even the most savvy child will have difficulty navigating that kind of social mine-field with an adult, but if YOU intervene, that's just more evidence that the child in the center of things lacks the "maturity" to do so...

Yes to a meeting.

Yes to getting hold of the graded work that your child has submitted.

Yes to seeing RUBRICS for that graded material (that way you know what the standard is)

Yes to advocating for a more "positive" student-teacher fit-- for both student AND teacher. (I'd probably spin that one by noting that it can't be any good for the teacher/class to have all of this stuff interfering with the learning environment, either...) BUT-- make sure that you know what the other placement options are, and that this one is inferior to them. No frying pan into the fire, in other words. There are times when even a pretty toxic situation is just the best you can do (see my DD's American Government teacher for more details here... yuck).

I'd pursue the notion that your son is missing instructional time because of "punishment" (?) in this class... because that also raises some red flags for me in terms of missing skills/understanding.

Bear in mind that there are probably areas where your son needs some additional help. It doesn't sound as though this teacher is the right person for that particular job, though.

Good luck!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Erich has good points about problem solving being very different from rote repetition, but you really need information about what's actually going on in these classes/tests. One good and easy thing to try might be to give your DS the "Do you need this?" sheet from AOPS prealgebra, here:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/products/prealgebra/posttest.pdf

These are not rocket science - there are some word problems, but most are pretty straightforward - but they're varied enough that if your DS can do them all confidently and correctly, then I think you can stop worrying about whether it's really a maths problem, and focus on the teacher problem. OTOH, if he has trouble, you may need to help with the maths.

GREAT idea, this.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Cecilia
    I requested to the teacher to please move DS back to the front row. DS even wants it. I get this back from the teacher..."No seat is far enough away from people for him to control himself"

Son, husband, and I are meeting with teacher tomorrow morning. In an e-mail teacher says this..."This will be the last time I will allow him to retest when I have to remove him from class for behavior. If he misses anymore material/class time because of behavior, I will not offer another retake for him"

A couple of thoughts about the second statement here - it is illegal in my state to academically punish a student for behavior problems. In other words, if your son gets sent from class because of behavior, the teacher is still required by law to ensure that he has the material he needs and if retakes are his policy for other students who do poorly, they still have to be an option for your son. (This particular law is pretty frustrating for the teachers - I know it drives me crazy sometimes, but it is the law so has to be done.)

Also, I would ask the parents of some of your son's friends who are also in the class if they are having any problems with this teacher as well. If so, then you should all go to the school administration and ask about the situation. A number of times the admin are unaware of what is going on in the classroom unless parents tell them. Especially if the teacher is a coach of a winning team. wink

Good luck! We just pulled our DD from a toxic situation in one of her classes after fighting with the teacher for some changes and not seeing anything improve.

C
    C
    We are going through the exact same thing! Our DS13 has taken several aptitude and intelligence tests. His Math reasoning scores on various aptitude tests are in the 99% but Math computation scores are lower. We brought him to a counselor who specializes in gifted children and right away she zeroed in on the fact that he is a visual-spatial learner. After reading for two days all the literature I could get my hands on about visual-spatial learners, now I understand why DS is failing Math. Gifted visual-spatial learners understand the concept but given the way their brain works and learns, it is next to impossible for them to show their work.

The problem with visual-spatial learners is that the regular classroom setting and instruction focuses on auditory-sequential learners; these learners are at the opposite end of the spectrum as visual-spatial. Simply, the regular classroom setting neglects visual-spatial learners and they fail to succeed.

Maybe reading up on visual-spatial to see if your son matches that learning style would shed some light on his Math issue...

C
    Cecilia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi everyone! Thank you again for all of the responses smile Sorry I haven't updated. I was hoping I would eventually have good news to report. Sadly, I feel that this teacher is a bully. For some reason, he has chosen to make my son an example.

I tried to see if there was another class to switch into. My son was all for it. In the end, the switch would have conflicted too much with his other class. We've been trying our best to get along with this teacher but it doesn't seem to be improving at all.

It's almost like he's just looking for the tiniest excuse to send him out of the room. Since he's missing so much class time, he's missing concepts. His math confidence is now down the tubes and he's developed math anxiety, which he never had before frown He knows the material at home but as soon as he goes to this teacher's math class to take the test, he completely forgets everything. It's horrible.

The teacher allows other students to retake the tests except for mine. He uses his "bad behavior" as an excuse to not allow him to retake. So interesting that my son has no other teacher conflicts or "behavior problems" in other classes- all A's in his other classes, D in math....

Anyways, counselor called and is open to any ideas. She is wonderful and this is great news!!! What should I suggest??? Any wonderful pre-algebra online program that son can do in the media center while his math class is going on??? He has tried EPGY but not visual enough. He is very visual-spatial. I need something that will actually teach, not just problems to do. Any other suggestions???

Thank you again!!! So gald there's only a few more months left of school! smile

Last edited by Cecilia; 04/17/13 07:08 AM.
    C
    Cecilia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks much for the suggestion, master of none!

At the last second, I also thought of Khan Academy. Love his videos!
    Anyone use this as their curriculum? We just have to get through the last few months. The sooner I can get my son out of that class environment, the better! smile

Thoughts???

P
    P
    If he is ahead could he just skip it all together this year, do some fill-in-the-gaps tutoring then start again next year with a new teacher?

B
    B
    Insist on seeing that test. Something is clearly not adding up. It may be time to escalate and bring this up with the principal.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM