Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #14455 04/23/08 09:29 AM
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I run across some posts about Evan O'Dorney , last year Spelling Bee champ and a very gifted mathematician (he either made or was commended for MOSP as an 8th grader).
    Is he just "weird" or does this look like an Asperger's to you guys? I really do not know much about high functioning people with A.

You can google his name on you tube and see waht I mean.

Ania #14462 04/23/08 09:56 AM
    Q
    Q
    Seems sort of weird to me to discuss a child by name on this board. How would he feel to find himself a subject of discussion here? Don't know anything about him, but I assume he's a kid since he was a spelling bee champ.

S
    S
    Moreover, it would be impossible to say whether he met the DSM IV criteria for a diagnosis of Aspergers. Anything less is just a stereotype, which really wouldn't be fair, either to those with Aspergers or to those who just "look" like it. (I've been around the block with people, in particular my own mother, suggesting ds might be autistic, for example. Not fun.)

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I believe that he became a public person when his parents (or he himself) allowed for the interviews on news channels and talk TV.

I have run accross some very nasty posts about him, both kids and parents , on two different boards. Nowhere could I find the answer to my question. I am just trying to understand...

After all this is a forum about gifted kids, and he is definitely brilliant...

Ania #14471 04/23/08 10:46 AM
    Q
    Q
    Yes, he is a public person. Legally, I expect you can discuss him without fear of an invasion of privacy claim. Personally, I'd rather not. But that's me...

Isa Offline
    Well, I have watched the video and I think this was a very nervous boy and that the presentator and the people were making fun of him.

G
    G
    I have to agree with snowgirl that diagnosis on the basis of interviews seems quite unfair and is certainly medically suspect.

I understand the curiosity, but as someone with lots of training in making such diagnoses and someone who does diagnose people for a living, I would be quite uncomfortable doing so from youtube.

If your question is really "what is Asperger's syndrome and how is it different from/the same as being just plain gifted?" I would suggest the book by James Webb: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults. Gives a wonderful summary of similarities and how gifted children/adults often get the misdiagnosis of Asperger's. This addendeum to the book speaks to the common misdiagnosis of gifted children: http://www.sengifted.org/articles_counseling/Amend_MisdiagnosisOfAspergersDisorder.shtml

Because much of what is described in symptoms of Asperger's relies on an assessment of interests, habits and social interactions it would be impossible to make a diagnosis based on a youtube video. But Ania, I certainly understand your curiosity and believe you should continue to seek more info to understand the matter more fully. It's a good question that should be asked. Maybe just not about a specific person.

So you all peaked my curiousity and I googled this amazing young man and watched the you tube video. You didn't mention he had appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Is this exceptionally bright young person missing social cues....or is it perhaps that Jimmy Kimmel is just.....not.....that.....funny.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm..............

P.S. if Jimmy Kimmel happens to pop up here because I am speaking of his comedic talent in a non-complementary way, so be it!

smile

Interesting.....
    Some disability advocates firmly believe that a disability only exists within the social constructs that define it (meaning the disability) and the physical environment that limits ability. Many times what appears to be a disability in one context loses that appearance in a different context. Begs a bigger question: Are people diagnosed with Asperger's simply misunderstood and being noticed when in they are in the "wrong" place?

Perhaps Jimmy has the disability due to a lack of humor! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM