Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Q
    Q
    Yes, DS and I laugh when the EPGY lecture talks about decomposing. We think about dinner for vultures...

Here's something cool (and free smile )!

http://nlvm.usu.edu/

When I explain "borrowing" to kids I say that we take a 10 and break it apart into 1's or we take a 100 and break it apart into 10's, etc. Legos are a great way to demonstrate this.

When I teach subtraction I say things like, "You can make a 10 out of a 3 and a 7. If I take away the 7 part the 3 part is left." So many kids get stuck in counting backwards mode or drawing ten dots and crossing out 7 one at a time mode. They don't think of numbers as chunks. They are only thinking of them in terms of counting.

Kriston, sorry if I freaked you out with the wikipedia stuff. And remember, it's just notation! There are beautiful books about fractals and the Mandelbrot set. Kids love to study the pictures and look for patterns. And, guess what--that's what mathematicians do, too!

Today, with my math class I had them do some experiments on Mobius strips, cutting them in different ways. We also generated a distribution graph by rolling two dice and graphing the results. I try to use math vocabulary when I talk about these things. I say things like "surface" and "topology" and "distribution" and "probability". And I read to them from Penrose the Mathematical Cat.

Last edited by Cathy A; 04/24/08 11:42 AM.
    You know, I don't want people to think that I'm against teaching the standard algorithms for doing calculations. It is important for kids to know how to do those things. The standard algorithms are an important tool because they always work, even on problems that don't have quick, elegant solutions. The standard algorithms should be part of every kid's arsenal of knowledge. But these algorithms are calculation tools; they are not the essence of mathematics.

We like poetry because it shows us unexpected and beautiful connections between words, images and emotions. Mathematics can show us unexpected and beautiful connections between numbers, objects and abstractions. I know it sounds corny, but I have always loved that Disney film "Donald in Mathmagic Land." It's from the 50's or 60's I think, and some parts seem a little dated, but it does a good job of communicating the poetry in math and the presence of math in our daily lives.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Right on, sister! laugh That's what I want DS6 to get from my teaching. I know he'll get the usual algorithms along-and-along. That doesn't worry me. But I worry a lot that the poetry of math will escape him.

I loved that movie, too. How funny! I hadn't thought about that in years...

Kriston
    I have strong vivid memories of HATING that movie...said the friend with dyscalculia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hee hee hee
    seriously , I think that movie evoked strong reactions of anger when I was about 7. Maybe in school? I can't remember now.
    We were made to watch it and I was crying on the inside.

smile

Last edited by incogneato; 04/24/08 04:33 PM. Reason: memory issues
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Huh. Interesting. You don't happen to recall specifically what it was about the movie that prompted this reaction, do you, 'Neato? I'm curious.

Kriston
    I don't know, Kriston, I really just disliked it intensely. I have a vivid emotional memory and some of the things I remember the best are things that provoked a really negative feeling, like for example, kindergarten.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL! I just snorted at the screen, 'Neato.

It is possible that what I liked about those "edu-tainment" movies is that they were movies instead of regular class. Now that I think about it, I believe we also watched them only on the last day of school. Both may have factored into my enjoyment more than a little... wink

Kriston
    LOL!!!

I'm so glad I could make you snort!

Wouldn't it be so great if their were a job available where you could be paid only to be sarcastic and glib?

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think there is. It's called "mom," isn't it?

Oh, wait, we don't get paid...

Kriston
    Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM