Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 170 of 268 1 2 168 169 170 171 172 267 268
    DD8 played "Chopped" with her mom yesterday. They each picked three random ingredients for the other, which had to be incorporated in some way in three courses: a starter, a main dish, and a dessert. DD did all her own cooking, and won. DW made the excuse that she slept badly, and wasn't feeling very creative.

Did I mention DW is a formally trained chef?

DD had a couple friends over, and she made her dessert for everyone last night, which is basically a new take on s'mores:

- Soften (don't melt) mini-marshmallows in the microwave.
    - Stuff softened marshmallows inside a waffle cone.
    - Pour in melted chocolate.

I love it! Sounds like an appropriate menu item for tonight, actually. smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earlier this week, my DD showed up (virtual school) for her peer tutoring shift and the teacher says "Oh thank goodness-- I'm going to put you into this meeting space right away... the other tutors and I have been working together on this problem for about thirty minutes and nobody can seem to make it work-- I can't figure it out either!"

DD factored the polynomial in about fifteen minutes.

Now, why this is a brag isn't that she was able to do something that two other hand-picked mathy kids couldn't... or even that she was able to do a problem that stumped the teacher....

No-- my moment of pride was in watching DD's determination not to give up-- I don't see "tenacity" very often in her-- but when she goes to work on something like this... WOW.

She narrowed her eyes and set her jaw, and bit into that challenge like an alligator.

WTG, DD!!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DS broke the science center guy with "what happens to the cells in an apple when it gets bruised?"

I'm not sure if I'm more amused by the stumbling goofy answer (that particular guy is one of the stand-out-from-the-crowd awesome guys there, seeing him miss a beat either in clowning OR in science fact is... rare) or by the fact that DS managed to actually go up to the guy, wait his turn, and then ask a question.

I love our science center.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    O
    O
    So the other day in the car my DD8 asks me what is the name of the part of the eye that reflects light. I told her I couldn't remember but we could look it up when we got home. DS10 says "I know, it's called the retina", so I ask him if he was studying that in science class right now. He says, "no mom, I just like to read the posters in doctors offices"

smile

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    DS broke the science center guy with "what happens to the cells in an apple when it gets bruised?"

I'm not sure if I'm more amused by the stumbling goofy answer (that particular guy is one of the stand-out-from-the-crowd awesome guys there, seeing him miss a beat either in clowning OR in science fact is... rare) or by the fact that DS managed to actually go up to the guy, wait his turn, and then ask a question.

I love our science center.

I love that smile smile That is so totally and completely a "my DS8" question... (only my DS wouldn't have waited his turn. He would have bunny hopped up to the guy, barked like a dog, then asked the question. Ah, ADHD.)

U
    U
    DS (just turned 5) is reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We started out reading it to him,but he doesn't have the patience to sit around waiting for us to read it, so...

I was so pleased to see the light go on behind DD's eyes when I brought home a gamed called Math Dice after a fruitless hour or two at the homeschool supply store searching for "stuff" for DS to do after preschool. The game is a bit much for DS unless played cooperatively, but DD took to it instantly and is awesome at it (better than me). This is the kid who's been saying lately how bad she is math and how she doens't like it.

DS 5.3 brought me an instruction manual he had written on how to burn CD's and DVD's on the computer. A step by step guide that was 100% correct.
    We now have a dozen CD's and DVD's laying around the house of programming he creates before anyone else in the house gets up in the morning.....:-/

Last edited by 1111; 02/17/13 11:22 AM.
    A
    A
    Was just on FaceTime with my mother-in-law, who openly disbelieved us when we told her DS15mo started talking before 6 months. She still seems to think DS doesn't talk. The reality is that he doesn't know her and, so, doesn't feel comfortable opening up to her yet.

During the call, DS and I were reading a book in the background and counting 7 fish in a picture book. DH asked DS what number comes after 7, to which he replied "8". He did the same for 9. MIL was aghast.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    dd 7 has really gotten into monopoly. We let her be the banker and I'm impressed with her ability to do the 2 and 3 digit math in her head. And when the rest of us gets bored of playing she keeps on going, playing for everybody. smile

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 02/18/13 10:37 AM.
    Ok, so DS3.75 is getting older and is staring to get interested in classic "academic" things. Today he helped me sort out some tiles for a game, by number, ranging from 1-30. Apparently he's got a better sense of numbers than I thought, because he had no trouble matching a tile with an empty space, or running in the right direction once he picked a starting point, and man, he's pretty accurate considering he still can't really rote-count to 30 (it was 100% on the second try, after making some 4 for 14 type errors on the first go, but not even many of those). At first I was trying to kinda explain what needed to be done, but he just stared grabbing the tiles and doing it smile

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 170 of 268 1 2 168 169 170 171 172 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM