Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 162 of 268 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 267 268
    D
    D
    I tried to convince my 22 month old that his flashlight was broken. I flipped the switch and it didn't turn on. "It's broken." I told him.

"It needs batteries." he replied.

I wasn't prepared to be called on my lie, so a big smile swept over my face. I admitted defeat and went to get replacement batteries. You win this round DS. I wont underestimate him next time.

Texican; my ds3 doesn't read, erm, sorta... But it's amazing how many candy bars i'm pretty sure he's never heard of that he can ask for by name wink. "Learn2read; the halloween method!"

In other news, ds11mos who took his first steps months ago, as of today is walking regularly. This means he only did two months of occaisional walking, compaired to the olderone who took five months to go from occaisional to regular wink. He has plenty of words, and a whackload of phrases like hi/bye x, but today's "hahaha i'm yonna gachoo" (then he bit my cheek and strangled me) will be memorable.

Oh! And DS3 is suddenly a bilingual counter and starting to add/subtract... But only in spanish. The only people who speak spanish in our house are Dora, Diego, and Diego's sister, so, erm... i guess its just a mathy language, eh? Oh, and he's gotten hinself started on neuroscience, and learned to pronounce "th."

The stares on the bus have reached a whole new level. "mama, read the cerebellum part...". I keep re-reading the thread where peoe say to just go with it when they're little. And not worry about teh stares. That's not so easy. I dont't like the bits about "it gets worse," incidentally.

Gee, I had a lot of brags. Sorry.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    E
    E
    Haven't "bragged" in awhile. My dd2.5 is a super-imaginative kid. She doesn't read yet like her brother did, but she's amazing in her own way: today she took two plastic hangers, put one under her chin and held the other like a bow. "Look Mom!" She exclaimed, "It's a violin!". Be still my heart.

K
    K
    Not a brag exactly but wanted to share. DS, just turned 4 was going on and on about The difference between real and make believe and spouted off
    That all Marvel heroes are make believe. Then he said and guess what, Santa is make believe too but I will pretend to believe in him if it will make you feel better.

DD9 had 2 years of toxic math experiences in school, as a result, she had herself convinced that she hated it and that she was no good at it (she is currently taking Algebra 1). @ days ago after school she was telling me about what happened and the first thing she said was: "you know mom, I love math! It is so cool and interesting and fun, I love it."
    I was so excited to hear this. I told her teacher the next day and she was as excited as I was.

S
    S
    I haven't written in so long, but my just 3 yr old has started cracking jokes. And writing her (short) name, which was pretty much a shock the first time I saw it. She also walks around a lot making the sounds in words, like "ch-ch-chicken"

Here was her 2nd joke.
    Her dad: Do you want me to tickle you? Poke, poke, poke!
    Giggling, note there is a polka dot pattern on her pillow
    She says: Don't poke me, poke-a-dots!

The other night, I was reading a book with colorful pictures, about different kinds of families (Todd Parr). It has a picture of a fish family where each fish is a different color, and the following page is "All families like hugs." Immediately says the fish family can't hug because they don't have arms. After my initial surprise, I told her fish kiss instead...

Yesterday at a kids' haircut place, I was told I'm in trouble after she informed the stylist she wanted a hair clip on her left side only, pointing to her left side. While she has known left from right for months, it was funny to see the woman's reaction.

She is also very reliable on alive/not alive, like telling me her stuffed animal can't think because he's not alive... and some fuzzy concept of death exists (has started asking a few questions as it has briefly come up a few times).

Probably enough for now! smile

Last edited by sunday_driver; 11/10/12 10:32 AM.
    K
    K
    Khombi, loved the Santa post. DS 4.5 asked the other day if he was real. I got away with "What do you think?"...although I'm guessing he might have figured it out but wants the presents to keep coming!

My brag:
    DS in the car today keeping himself amused...counting backwards, by twos, starting with 39, in Spanish.

A
    A
    What a GREAT idea. I so enjoyed reading the relief in the voices of all the proud parents, to know they are safe here, that I don't even feel the need to post something about my own child. smile Your pride and honesty was enough to give me the strength I was looking for when I came here. The worst thing is not being able to share anything about your child, or worse playing her strengths down to make others feel better, or to make sure the moms don't hate you!

I often come here just to feel normal. To feel like I am not the only one who worries about my PG child. Even sharing with close family members, or my husband even, how hard it can be, everyone rolls their eyes like, "Oh I feel so bad that your child is soo smart."

That is just not the way it is. I find myself feeling alienated and isolated from all the other parents no matter what. I am lucky to have a close friend with a gifted daughter, close to my daughters age but she is moderately gifted, so even though she gets it, I still feel alone.

Ok while I am here I will add my most recent moment:

My daughter just skipped 1st grade and before my daughter was even in her class the 2nd grade teacher was skeptical and I am not sure if she thought we made the best decision. But at our first conference a few weeks ago she was just beaming with how wonderful our daughter was doing. Top of the class in every area. She has kids 2 years older than her and she has won everyone over, even the skeptical teacher smile Very proud of her. She is 6 and teaching herself division and multiplication on the Ipad. Never ceases to amaze me. smile

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    DD9 was too sensitive to read content above grade level until recently when she took on her first big series, Harry Potter. I was worried she'd drop it when it got too intense, but she plowed through the entire series in less than two weeks, strategically reading copies at school and home, even reading an entire book on a weekend day (more if we had allowed her).

I was skeptical of her comprehension at that pace. She made me a believer when her teacher informed us DD's Accelerated Reader test scores for the series averaged almost 95% correct, a score she'd never seen so high from a student who had not seen the movies.

DD, meanwhile, has no interest in seeing the movies but has been re-reading the last book for a week straight. We finally had to pull her off it and are trying to introduce her to a new series. The sum of her feedback on the series is the oft-repeated lament, "I wish magic were real!"

M
    M
    I'm guessing I have a reason to brag? Just found out today my DS2.7 can add ... not only 2+1 or 3+1 but I saw him do math problems where he had e.g. 10+7 and was to choose the right answer from 14 and 17 ... he did about 10 of these with ease and after that I just stopped watching. It started to freak me out! lol ... I don't think that's a "normal" skill for a 2.5 year old, is it?

Page 162 of 268 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM