Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    I got addicted to working hard at things as soon as I saw what I could do when I did. It wasn't that I'd never worked hard at things before, but there was a *moment* when I *saw* it. Not that I know how to orchestrate a moment like that.

Ohhhh... THIS is what I'm looking for!! (for me too! not just my kids, lol) If you ever figure out how to orchestrate such a moment, please share smile smile Or you could bottle it and sell it... make a fortune... LOL

J
    J
    Focus and attention are skills that you can learn or improve upon. For my hearing-impaired child, he initially had trouble focusing in group situations, when it was noisy. Over time, that has gotten much better.
    We have done private weekly piano lessons for 3 years now- I think music is a great way to learn focus and persistence. Sports can be a great way too, if they are engaged in it. My kids play alone or together with Legos for hours, making up imaginary battle scenes, etc.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    A lot of good things to think about here. I suppose he has worked hard at some things, now that I think about it. He has been working feverishly at his science fair project over the past couple of weeks. He's worked hard at taekwondo. So I suppose it's just study skills that he is lacking. I've been trying to help him learn that, but so far it's not working. Still, with all of the stories about people who have had the same experience, I wonder if perhaps he just needs some more time.

I agree with Michaela that finding a challenging game that piques you child's interest, then allowing them to be frustrated by it, could be a good idea.

Here are a couple iPad apps we've been using lately:
    BigSeed
    KickBox

They're even frustrating for me! I'm hoping these will help teach the kids perseverance.

U
    U
    We're here this year too, though only with math, and only in the sense that DD doesn't get it *instantly.* (The work is still below her level, IMO--but she's never encountered anything before that wasn't a complete cakewalk.) I'm telling myself 1) that it takes time and 2) better now than later. But she does need a lot of emotional support to do the math. She panics easily. Reminding her of past freakouts and her triumph over the skill helps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM