Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    What if you can't afford to move to an area that has schools like this?

acs Offline
    Well, Evergreen is a state college in Washington. Presumably, a student could move to Washington state for a year after high school to establish residency and then apply. I think that the tuition is pretty reasonable.

Ha, why didn't someone tell me I should have been an ENGINEER!!
    I'm quite offended by arbitrary rules that aren't apparantly sensical!

I agree that work ethic is very important. We all have to do things that are "beneath" us. I don't quite like scrubbing the toilets and getting on my hands and knees to disinfect the bathroom floors. Hey, I used to manage millions of dollars and trade stocks for a living. But if I don't scrub the toilet, it will get really nasty and stinky around here!!!!

My father wanted to send me to Antioch in Yellow Springs Ohio, but we couldn't quite get the funds together. I went to a non-descript state college in the middle east. Not a bad school, certainly nothing to get excited about.

I went on to work on wall street at a very prestigous investment firm. For sure my little rinky dink state school diploma didn't get me there. By sheer will of who I was and what I wanted, that's what made it happen.

L
    L
    We have had family discussions about following rules and having to figure out when rules should be broken and when they shouldn't. My husband told us about a time when he worked as an army first sergeant and there was a rule that they had to stay out in the field for a certain number of days as part of training. There was an occasion when one of his soldiers got sick and he could tell by looking at him that he needed medical attention, but an officer refused to give him permission to take the soldier to the hospital because it was "against the rules" and threatened to court martial my husband if he disobeyed orders. My husband took the soldier to the hospital anyway and by doing so saved the soldier's life. The soldier's appendix had ruptured. He told our son that there are times when rules have to be broken. We hope that by talking about some of our life experiences and facilitating his education that he will acquire both the knowledge and the ability to make the right decisions in own life.

A frequent topic of discussion in our family is choices. We can choose to not follow rules and it works out okay for some people but from what I have seen, it more often doesn't work out very well. It also seems like there are a lot of unwritten rules where we live and as kind of an outside the box family in a small town in a state that still has cow chip throwing contests, we seem to already be breaking some of them without even trying.

It always looked to me like my stepson tried to defy all of those "unwritten rules" especially the ones about appearance. I know that appearance isn't supposed to matter, but where I live you are expected to look a certain way if you expect to get a job in anything except of course as an IT person. When my stepson live with us he wore his hair with green streaks in it, very long, tied in a pony tail. This pretty much guaranteed that he would not be able to find a job easily in our area.

I don't think my son would be happy living the way his half-brother is living. He wouldn't be able to afford video games or even think about saving money to visit Japan someday. He says he is willing to work for what he wants, of course he is not even ten years old yet so that might change. I sometimes wonder what my stepson will do to support himself later on in life when he is physically not able to work since he is not able to save money.

I probably look at some of this differently because of my life experiences, I studied accounting instead of engineering and I want to know that my son can some day can support himself and his family. Speaking from experience, life is harder when you are worried that you might not have enough money to pay all of your bills and have a decent standard of living.

I want my son to get a good college education whatever it takes, even if he has to follow rules that he doesn't like. If he gets a scholarship at a university that caters to outside the box people, that's great but otherwise it might be a good idea for him to try to live by the rules.

As a rule breaker and a system buster I agree that being unconventional can come at great personal cost. Also, some of the most important advances in science and industry have come out or unconventional thinking.
    As we age, hopefully, we figure out when to stand up and when it's appropriate to go along to get along. I hope this ability will come to your stepson as he goes about experiencing his life.

L
    L
    Engineer is one of the three professions that people predict my son will end up in--either engineer, college professor or politician. I would like to make sure he gets the education to make all of these choices possible. Maybe he could do all three at different times in his life.

But I am hoping my son can maybe think of following the rules that he would rather not follow as playing a part in one of his plays. You have to follow the script but you also have to be prepared when something unexpected happens and be able to ad lib when you have to because the show must go on. At the end of the day you can go home and make your own rules.

My husband even talked about how he used to go into his "first sergeant act" or his "supervisor act." Those were roles he played very well, but that is not really him. He is not like that at home.

I LOVE that, kcab! I may steal that game idea for a future unit study on the US government! What a great way to learn about how tough it is to make laws and make them work.

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM