Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Wow Pemberley - how wonderful! Sending you lots of good wishes that this person will be able to be a HUGE help!

polarbear

P
    OP Offline
    P
    FYI: We just filed our Dept of Ed complaint. Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the IEP meeting where things started to deteriorate. (Actually the meeting was fine - it was the follow up where things went wrong.) I tried all last week to make one last ditch effort to meet with the superintendent to address our concerns before we file. She could not give me an appointment before tomorrow so our decision was made. The complaint had to be filed today in order to take that meeting into account.

Tomorrow morning we meet with the superintendent. Tomorrow afternoon we meet with a special ed attorney. Next week I meet with a NYC attorney to see what the process would be to allow DD to attend the 2E school there. The same day DD's psych is doing a classroom observation to help determine if it is reasonable to consider keeping her in a public school classroom (in our home district or elsewhere) or if we HAVE to seek OOD placement. All of this is beyond what the gifted advocate can help with. Heck it feels like more than I can help with...

So while it is all exhausting and overwhelming I honestly feel that we will have left no stone unturned and whatever we end up doing it will be the result of a well thought out plan. I will keep you posted...

M
    M
    Good luck! I've been following your story a lot .... I hope things work out well! Your DD certainly deserves it!

M
    M
    Good luck! Keep us posted!

D
    D
    Pemberley, you're a great parent. Hang in there!

DeeDee

E
    E
    I'll be watching for updates. Good luck!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    So while it is all exhausting and overwhelming I honestly feel that we will have left no stone unturned and whatever we end up doing it will be the result of a well thought out plan. I will keep you posted...

I've been following your story with great interest - I hope that your DD is finally able to find an acceptable placement.

A
    A
    I'm rooting for you in this ordeal.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    K
    K
    I just want to wish you luck, and to say that you should check your agreement with your advocate regarding billing, because you should not be liable for expenses that you didn't authorize, and if the school engaged them in order to correct a mistake on their end, the advocate should have made it clear to them that they would be billed for that, or at the very least checked with you before performing any billable activities (and ensure they know to do that in future).

L
    laurel
    Unregistered
    laurel
    Unregistered
    L
    Geez, good luck, Pemberley, with what has turned into a true marathon.

One wonderful thing you've done is that your daughter sees that YOU care. She can see that you trust and respect her. Good luck finding a place she deserves.

BTW, what is an "OOD placement"? I googled OOD and the first result was: "The Ood are a fictional alien species with telepathic abilities from the long-running science fiction series Doctor Who...." Which may seem to fit with some of your strange experiences, and it would be pretty cool if your daughter was in a situation with teachers who were telepathic, but I am guessing that's not what you meant!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM