Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 158 of 268 1 2 156 157 158 159 160 267 268
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    The day my lo turned 20 months she put her first 4 pc jigsaw puzzle together. For a straight week she had me helping her 15-30 times a day. She worked so hard! She'll be 21 months in a few days and she can do her 4 pc, 6pc, and 9 pc jigsaws without help- and 12 pc ones with a little help. She is getting good at figuring out her 24 pc with my help, too. *proud* wink
    She might like this rainforest 48-piece puzzle. It's got a neat layout with well-defined regions. For some reason both of my sons started with the blue butterfly when doing it the first time.

I didn't buy the rainforest one, but I thought about it! I did get a few other M&D 48 pc puzzles for Christmas. A princess one, horse one, and another 24 pc. We work on a 24 pc M&D one with safari animals right now. She's very good with picking patterns that match, but not as good at figuring out where they go right away. With a little guidance from me she often gets it and can pick the next piece out.

She is finally starting to talk more! She tries to name all the letters now. Before she would (could?) only sign them.

This is a true, unadulterated brag.

I took my three year old to a store that sells swtiches and capacitors and stuff. You know the type, shelves full of dusty. narrow boxes with labels like "mystery logic" and "broken stuff with parts." We went to get a magnet and some lightbulbs (because I, acting like Red Green or somewho, blew his with a bigger battery).

DH and the younger one were a little worried about us when we got back out the door 1.5 hours later. I honestly had no idea we'd been in there so long.

My three year old enjoys spending 1.5 hours compairing switches, examining miniature drill bits, and trying to find an excuse for buying engine parts. (He is going to build a viking ship with a triangular sail, electric motor, and fighters on it, apparently... next year when he's an adult)

He's... just... so... awesome.

Edited to add: So is the store; the clerk understood every word he said. That never happens. They talked about the Mars rover, and the viking ship, and building a marble sorter out of cardboard.

Last edited by Michaela; 09/01/12 08:32 PM.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    J
    J
    I pulled out the addition flashcards I had made two years earlier for my older boy. My younger one just started second grade. They are things like 8+9 = 17 or 5+ 7 = 12. He knows them all cold, even though we never did them formally! I'll check subtraction next week, but he probably knows them.
    My older boy has a processing disorder learning disability, so we did flashcards (addition, subtraction, etc.) almost daily with him for 2 years. He now knows them cold too but it was a big time commitment.
    My little one also knew all 500 second grade words the teacher gave us at back to school night, as words they should know by the end of second grade.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Tonight DD9 says to me "I think I should go to bed at 8:30 tonight instead of 9:00. I was really tired this morning, and you know how long it takes me to fall asleep. Actually, you know what? Maybe I should go to bed at 8:00. If I do, can you wake me up at 6:00 so that I'm wide awake for school?" (which starts at 8:47)

Wow. Can you say "executive function development" ? smile smile smile

(you'd have to know both my erratic, impulse-driven kids to understand how freaking AMAZING this is)

M
    M
    Yesterday in school my 6 year old informed her 1st grade teacher that tongue twisters are alliterations.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 09/18/12 11:11 AM.
    P
    Pru Offline
    P
    Funny: DD4 likes old Roger Miller novelty songs, so the other day as I was getting her out of the car, I sang the lyric, "You can't go fishin' in a watermelon patch..." after which she responded, "Actually, Daddy, you can if you're fishing for watermelons."

DD7 had her first soccer game of the new season, with a new team. She scored the first goal of the year, and assisted on two others. She had one more goal taken away by a teammate, when she broke out on a clean breakaway, her teammate ran her down and stole it from behind her, then stumbled and lost the ball.

You can still see her being ever-so-careful in tight quarters, because she doesn't want to cause anyone to get hurt, but it's a huge improvement from this same time last year, when she was so careful she might as well have been a spectator.

M
    M
    my first time posting on the Brag thread! smile ... not sure if this is anything to brag about or not? Just realized my DS2.5 can do pattern block puzzles? I never showed him ... he got seriously attached to DS4's Leappad two weeks ago and hasn't let it go since and in those two weeks has learned how to play all the games and read the books, etc. ... and just now I overheard the UmiZoomi game telling him "congratulations! you fixed 7 toys!" ... and I look over and see him working on pattern block puzzles! lol ... I love it when they figure stuff on their own! On one hand our biggest problem is that both boys are so self-directed ... but that's just what makes them be the person they are! smile

Ok, when people start posting on here it gets contagious, which is probably a good thing, tight? All of us thinkin' happy thoughts? Thanks for making me thing sweet thought about my critters.

DS engaged in polite dinner table conversation! He asked all his relatives if they know of any dinosaurs that are still alive but do not fly. There was some confusion about brontosauri and Komodo dragons, but emus and ostriches were mentioned.

DS2 gets a lil brag; he is now waving and saying hi and bye wink

After that success, he managed to stay at the joiner table tonight, as well, though we did not accomplish conversation, quite.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    W
    W
    Bear (my 2e super sensitive, ultra-timid, anti-group and VERY anti-group movement activities kiddo) just had his first all charter play practice. I had been ready for all sorts of problems and you know what I got? After an initial bout of basic shyness he JOINED IN!!! Laughing, smiling, making eye contact, hamming it up... in a group.... in a group that was milling and following director's instructions... with students he didn't know... with a teacher he didn't know... I'm so beside myself I can't even type sensibly. I'm actually crying as I write this. It was nothing short of miraculous!

Page 158 of 268 1 2 156 157 158 159 160 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM