Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    On the other hand, the "why do I need to learn this-- it's stupid" thing tends to be best resolved, as someone else has noted, with greater DIFFICULTY. Show the necessity not with simple examples (as most schools are wont to do for 'beginning' learners of concepts) but with examples which actually demonstrate a NEED for the tool/concept.

That may just her learning style.

She may not be able to properly incorporate (in her view) or internalize the information without a more holistic view of the subject at hand.

Last edited by JonLaw; 11/27/12 01:15 PM.
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Not cheating, which is where "dirty trick" comes in. The shift is we've decided to provide support for anything he wants to learn at home but not to formalize it.

Yea, ultramarina, it is about encouraging the shift in strategy for us too. Any push tends to break things; if I had told him he should try to memorize them, nothing resembling that would happen and he may never look through the cards again. Since we are finally getting multiplication sent home after our PT conference, he also understands that doing good work on those can lead to more complexity.

Q
    Q
    Hmm. Tricks don't really work with the type of kids you described. Sometimes if it is important it is simply better to not give a choice.

Regarding multiplication, I have to admit that my kids did not learn it by drilling. It made far more sense for them to get math that requires some mastery of multiplication facts first. It made more sense for them to assimilate their math facts from the process of doing other math. I am not sure that what I have wrote made sense but my kids mastered their facts without drilling. It may be that they have strong working memories. I would suggest that you refrain from enforcing drilling unleess you happen to have a kid who couldn't master their math facts without drilling.

If you want to foster a love of math, teach them or expose them to interesting math rather than memorization of math facts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM