Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 255 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jenny04, JamesD, SandyC8, Fer, Dilan294335
    10865 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31
    Page 163 of 263 < 1 2 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #142780 - 11/13/12 12:46 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Pru Offline

DD9 was too sensitive to read content above grade level until recently when she took on her first big series, Harry Potter. I was worried she'd drop it when it got too intense, but she plowed through the entire series in less than two weeks, strategically reading copies at school and home, even reading an entire book on a weekend day (more if we had allowed her).

I was skeptical of her comprehension at that pace. She made me a believer when her teacher informed us DD's Accelerated Reader test scores for the series averaged almost 95% correct, a score she'd never seen so high from a student who had not seen the movies.

DD, meanwhile, has no interest in seeing the movies but has been re-reading the last book for a week straight. We finally had to pull her off it and are trying to introduce her to a new series. The sum of her feedback on the series is the oft-repeated lament, "I wish magic were real!"

#142798 - 11/13/12 06:09 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Mk13 Offline

I'm guessing I have a reason to brag? Just found out today my DS2.7 can add ... not only 2+1 or 3+1 but I saw him do math problems where he had e.g. 10+7 and was to choose the right answer from 14 and 17 ... he did about 10 of these with ease and after that I just stopped watching. It started to freak me out! lol ... I don't think that's a "normal" skill for a 2.5 year old, is it?

#142814 - 11/14/12 02:15 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Mk13]
    ColinsMum Offline

Loc: Scotland
    Happy to confirm that's not normal :-)

#142818 - 11/14/12 06:20 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    epoh Offline

Loc: N. Texas
    This is a behavior brag... DS8 only got off 'green' 3 times the last 6 weeks, and all three times were for TALKING TO HIS FRIENDS.

Is it wrong that DH and I barely even reprimand him for this? LoL. Just so happy there's been no meltdowns, he's doing his schoolwork each day (even when it's easy) and looks like he's actually got several friends!

#142856 - 11/14/12 09:59 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    KJP Offline

DS5 really turned it up at circle time today in kindergarten today. In response to a book in which someone was dizzy he explained that they were dizzy because the fluid in their inner ear was still moving after they stopped making them feel like they were still moving. When the teacher asked how he knew that he said, "I saw it on TV"

He followed that up with naming the organs in the abdomen and explaining his dad's gall bladder surgery (including pointing out the gall bladder in the teacher's book).

Of course then he had to make it all a bit creepy. He asked one of his classmates whose parents are doctors if he could get them to bring some real body parts to class so they could see what they really looked like.

Edited by KJP (11/14/12 10:00 PM)

#142942 - 11/16/12 11:32 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    Laugh for the day, "Mom, sight words are just regular words."

#142947 - 11/16/12 11:56 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: KJP]
    DAD22 Offline

KJP, I wish I went to school with your son. That would be fun!

#143030 - 11/18/12 11:13 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ljoy Offline

Kind of a brag - more of an advocacy success, but it sounds like a brag to other parents' ears.

DD10's private school contacted the public middle she will attend next year for 6th grade and got permission for her to take the 'skip 7' math test at the end of this year so she can go into Algebra I actually at school! Since our district has NO GT program and is on guard against pushy helicopter parents, I really doubted we could do it. She's working on Intro to Algebra now so she will already have done part of the curriculum, but this feels like a good balance between fitting into the institution and learning something new in a classroom.

Since the alternative would be doing all of 6th grade arithmetic in class PLUS all of 7th grade arithmetic as homework next year, and she would have to impress the teacher with her hard work and compliance to be allowed to take the test, this is a triumph and a relief.

#143276 - 11/22/12 06:36 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Michaela Offline

Loc: The bottom of my cup
    This is more of a cute story that's a little hard to tell without modification.

Today my younger son, who just turned one, was out with me without his brother (something we have to do WAY more often). We were passing the museum, and he pointed said "Iwandat [museumname]," and then pointed at the dinosaur poster and roared at it. "Ok, kid, let's go." So we went in, and he carefully roared at each skeleton. He also informed me in idiosyncratic sign language that he is afraid of the... wait for it... 22lb land crocodilian. Not the gigantosaurus, or the T Rex, the 22lb vegetarian crocodilian. And he didn't freak out or cry, he told me in signs wink

He also picked out every dinosaur with an estimated weight around the same as his current weight, and said "baby baby baby" and got all 'cited (including the one he said he was afraid of). It was hilarious.

Thanks for letting me tell the story. When he's older I'm sure I'll get to tell it again, once the bit about him being a chunk ahead on language becomes obscured by time smile

I *am* kinda proud of his language. He doesn't talk anywhere near as often as his brother did at this age, but he uses a lot of regular words, and the little phrases are becoming pretty common. His brother kinda sorta had a speech delay, so it's nice to have this one so distinctly knocking off the official targets!

#143287 - 11/23/12 06:19 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    CCN Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
    I was asked by a fellow parent if my DD9 could tutor her daughter in math :):) They had their first session and I hovered a little bit, and had a peek at the girl's work. DD9 said "Mom, I've already checked it. Let it go. Who's doing the tutoring here?"

(lol)

Page 163 of 263 < 1 2 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Driving with Processing Issues?
    by Pemberley
    12 minutes 46 seconds ago
    Queen's Gambit, chess, and gifted children
    by mithawk
    Yesterday at 09:52 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Eagle Mum