Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I would think if it is a medical condition then they can not refuse enrollment. I know there are many severe needs children who need toileting care in school and they are not refused enrollment because of it.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 11/15/12 11:05 AM.
    Q
    qxp Offline
    Q
    My middle son is in special ed and incontinent due to Hirschsprung's disease. The teacher and the classroom assistants change soiled diapers at least 4 times a day. I have never had an issue.

The Pull-Thru Network has a bunch of information on advocating with the school for kids who are incontinent. http://www.pullthrunetwork.org/

W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Update: So after talking to a school advocate I went to see the special ed dept for the district on her advice. The head of the dept was there and I asked her what the rights were for kids with medical conditions, she recognized us from the special ed preschool and asked what was up. I explained and she said she'd give the administrator of the school a call and try to sort things out. Yay!

P
    P
    Good news Wyldkat! I hope the school sees the light. Actually, I expect they'll see the light quickly once the district rep reminds then of the ADA smile

Good luck!

polarbear

W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Another update: I got a call from the head of special ed who explained that she had talked to the administrator and would see if she could attend the meeting I am going to with the teacher on Monday. It turns out the reasoning behind not wanting him in that program because of the pull ups makes no sense, at least not to me. They are afraid the other kids will shame Bear (Um, he's already in the charter going to classes in another program, has met most of the kids in the program and no one has noticed or cared that he is in pull ups, not that he would care in the slightest if they ever did!) and.... (drum roll please) that since it is a k-5 program and most of the other children are older it would be too hard for him!!! (*recovering from laughing* A. What does that have to do with toileting? B. There is a K student in the program already and C. Bear is currently in 2nd grade math and 1st for every other subject. That one just screams smoke and mirrors to me.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM