Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 161 of 268 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 267 268
    W
    W
    Not quite a brag, more of a giggle:

Dad: conversation into "... Violence is never the answer."
    Bear (5): "It is if you are in the Army."
    Dad: "Ok well, violence is rarely ever the answer."
    Bear: a minute or two later, "What about if someone is trying to kill you?"

And people tell me my kids are easy...

V
    V
    grin I think you have a hockey player on your hands!!

I can relate to holding my breath while I get my DS6 into his gear. I fear asking "too tight, too loose." but he gets out there on the ice and all is forgotten and he has never had a bad day on the ice.

V
    V
    What do you have on top of your refridgerator? (or just out of reach?)

I have a ziplock bag of rehydrated moss, a microscope, several "petri dish" containers of dirt, moss, rocks, etc. put up high so my DS6 will at least try to go to bed and stop thinking about finding tardigrades in his "discoveries".

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Was just reminded of a funny one (this is for the Carrie Underwood fans)

DS was 7 and we were trying to impress upon him that swearing is rude. He had a frustrating moment, and thinking he was alone, said:

"Jesus!"

...then he looks up, sees me, and continues:

"take the wheee-eeel... take it from my haaaand... 'cause I can't do this on my own."

U
    U
    I was just contacted by someone hoping to schedule an audition for DD for an upcoming local theater company production (semiprofessional production, I guess you would call it--it's mostly adults with some small children's parts). She went to theater camp there, not this last summer but the one before. Unfortunately, she couldn't possibly do it--the commitment is insane and she would have to miss many mornings of school to perform in matinees (the play is performed for hundreds of school children during the holidays) not to mention daily 6-hour rehearsals and twice-daily performance on weekends for weeks. Her homework load makes it an impossibility and I doubt she has the maturity in any case. However, it's nice to be asked.

M
    M
    Me: Who is your favourite scientist?
    3 1/2-year-old son: Copernicus, Galileo Gallilei and Newton because they studied the universe.

My kids just had birthdays.

My five year old is learning Kumon Division workbook using the khan academy method to work out the problem. He is solving 45'/.5=?, and such by drawing "ten-sticks" for 10s and "dots" for ones, and converting the sticks to dots where necessary. I posted a while back that he was watching the youtube Khan video and taking notes on how to do division.

He has the concept of fractions from the book Apple Fraction, so now I'm teaching him the adding decimals and fractions workbook.

He's doing the Kumon #s 1-150 dot to dot which has been awesome for visual digit discrimination. Whoever made that workbook made sure you have to pay close attention. They put numbers like 42 close to the 93 and other similar looking numbers, also clusters like 46, 47, near 84. You have to watch what you're doing with that dot to dot.

My two year old has just started the Kumon tracing workbook and also phonics, formally. She already knows a lot of phonics and a little blending from watching PBS.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    My son's K teacher took me aside yesterday to comment on something "shocking" he said in class. I immediately thought he had said some horrible swear word. He has sort of grown up in a law firm and his language can be colorful at times. Luckily that was not the case.

They were on the letter "m" yesterday and at circle she was asking the kids to say "m" words. At first he said microphone which she thought was good but he followed that with macrophage. She thought he said microwave but he corrected her and provided the right definition. Anyway, apparently that was a first.

M
    M
    Macrophage?! I just had to look that up. Well done!

I was putting away the girl's Halloween candy, yeah, and eating some. She read another word, you know she's read just a few. She looked at a yellow box with just the words on it and called "milk duds" chocolate milk. She had to have read the word "milk".

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 161 of 268 1 2 159 160 161 162 163 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM