Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 163 of 268 1 2 161 162 163 164 165 267 268
    C
    C
    Happy to confirm that's not normal :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    This is a behavior brag... DS8 only got off 'green' 3 times the last 6 weeks, and all three times were for TALKING TO HIS FRIENDS.

Is it wrong that DH and I barely even reprimand him for this? LoL. Just so happy there's been no meltdowns, he's doing his schoolwork each day (even when it's easy) and looks like he's actually got several friends!

~amy
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    DS5 really turned it up at circle time today in kindergarten today. In response to a book in which someone was dizzy he explained that they were dizzy because the fluid in their inner ear was still moving after they stopped making them feel like they were still moving. When the teacher asked how he knew that he said, "I saw it on TV"

He followed that up with naming the organs in the abdomen and explaining his dad's gall bladder surgery (including pointing out the gall bladder in the teacher's book).

Of course then he had to make it all a bit creepy. He asked one of his classmates whose parents are doctors if he could get them to bring some real body parts to class so they could see what they really looked like.

Last edited by KJP; 11/14/12 11:00 PM.
    Laugh for the day, "Mom, sight words are just regular words."

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    D
    D
    KJP, I wish I went to school with your son. That would be fun!

L
    L
    Kind of a brag - more of an advocacy success, but it sounds like a brag to other parents' ears.

DD10's private school contacted the public middle she will attend next year for 6th grade and got permission for her to take the 'skip 7' math test at the end of this year so she can go into Algebra I actually at school! Since our district has NO GT program and is on guard against pushy helicopter parents, I really doubted we could do it. She's working on Intro to Algebra now so she will already have done part of the curriculum, but this feels like a good balance between fitting into the institution and learning something new in a classroom.

Since the alternative would be doing all of 6th grade arithmetic in class PLUS all of 7th grade arithmetic as homework next year, and she would have to impress the teacher with her hard work and compliance to be allowed to take the test, this is a triumph and a relief.

This is more of a cute story that's a little hard to tell without modification.

Today my younger son, who just turned one, was out with me without his brother (something we have to do WAY more often). We were passing the museum, and he pointed said "Iwandat [museumname]," and then pointed at the dinosaur poster and roared at it. "Ok, kid, let's go." So we went in, and he carefully roared at each skeleton. He also informed me in idiosyncratic sign language that he is afraid of the... wait for it... 22lb land crocodilian. Not the gigantosaurus, or the T Rex, the 22lb vegetarian crocodilian. And he didn't freak out or cry, he told me in signs wink

He also picked out every dinosaur with an estimated weight around the same as his current weight, and said "baby baby baby" and got all 'cited (including the one he said he was afraid of). It was hilarious.

Thanks for letting me tell the story. When he's older I'm sure I'll get to tell it again, once the bit about him being a chunk ahead on language becomes obscured by time smile

I *am* kinda proud of his language. He doesn't talk anywhere near as often as his brother did at this age, but he uses a lot of regular words, and the little phrases are becoming pretty common. His brother kinda sorta had a speech delay, so it's nice to have this one so distinctly knocking off the official targets!

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I was asked by a fellow parent if my DD9 could tutor her daughter in math :):) They had their first session and I hovered a little bit, and had a peek at the girl's work. DD9 said "Mom, I've already checked it. Let it go. Who's doing the tutoring here?"

(lol)

We decorated for the holidays this weekend. DS 6.5 is an only so we have lots of things in groups of 3. DS says, after hanging our three initials, that we can figure out how many combinations of words our initials make using factorials. So after giving DH the look that says omg did you hear that, I asked so how many combinations are there, he runs into his room to look it up and comes running back, yelling 6. Not your normal holiday convo, ok maybe here it is!

DeHe

This morning:

DH: (grumblingly) Well, I have a _half_-charged phone...
    DS: So... add another half [dumbass --ok, he didn't say that, but it's pretty clear he THOUGHT IT].

Later, building on the fact he seems to know what a half is...

DS: how do you build an equator?
    ME: well, you don't really build it, it's an idea about something that already is. So think about the earth. Here's the north pole and half the planet. here's the south pole and the other half. Where they meet is what we call the equator.
    DS: [audible kerchunk] Ooooooohhhhhh! ok.
    [runs off holding his hands cupped together as per my demonstration mumbling about spheres and halves while a dozen people trip over him (we were in a mall).]

here ends about 12 days of trying to answer equator questions.

wink

Last edited by Michaela; 11/25/12 10:48 PM.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 163 of 268 1 2 161 162 163 164 165 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM