Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    My 10 yo DD is finishing up EPGY 5th grade math through CTY, and although we may just move on to 6th grade, I am looking at other options as well. Which curriculum is really stupendous? Art of Problem Solving? Elements of Mathematics? Thinkwell? I am looking for something in the pre-algebra range. DD is not a particularly mathy kid -- more of a word girl, but she has liked EPGY and found is sufficiently challenging, although not too much so. I am looking for something that is really engaging, inspires creativity, etc., not necessarily the most rigorous, mathy thing out there. Does anyone have experience with these programs they would be willing to share?

S
    S
    My DS10 is really enjoying AOPS pre-algebra. It's very challenging, but satisfying to solve the problems. He's in an online class and the teachers are very engaging and seem to know how to play to their young students to make the class interesting and engaging.

P
    P
    What level of Elements of Mathematics would be appropriate for my 11 year old who is very mathy and is now taking Algebra I? The first course seems to basic but I can't seem to get an idea of the other courses. I'm looking for something that is challenging and fun but not necessarily to complete for his curriuculum. Maybe something the schools don't teach?

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    W
    W
    My DS 8, who is very mathy, is finishing AoPS prealgebra 1 this week. He loved it. Even though the classes are all typed, they are engaging. DS also really enjoyed the online videos, he found them entertaining. He thought the pace was a bit fast, maybe because this was the first time he has ever had to put any effort into a math class.

He is going to try the Elements of Mathematic now, as prealgebra 2 does not start until Feb-Mar. He went last year to IMACS for a math enrichment class and really enjoyed it. The classes at IMACS are not meant to be a stand alone class, but rather enrichment. I am not sure if the Elements of Mathematics works the same or not.

Petunia: There is only level 1 right now for Elements of Mathematics. On their FAQ they state you have to start at the 1st level, but more advanced kids will be able to work more quickly through the levels.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM