Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    He's still trying to figure out what the heck happened, and she's still seething that he apparently wanted her for a "girlfriend" but didn't want to ADMIT that, or call it that... Every single person who knows the two of them (adults and peers alike) would have bet cold hard cash that there was something going on betweeen them. Which there was-- it just wasn't simple or easily categorized.

He probably got embarrassed and doesn't know how to fix it.

That's what I think, too. He seems to be trying to regain the SAME dynamic, but that overlooks the fact that this creates some other social problems (since everyone else thinks that they are a couple, and hey-- they act like it). I've been quietly coaching DD to try changing the relationship's basic dynamic without bailing on the friendship entirely...

because this is some rare practice at that particular skill, and as we've already established in this thread, compatible peers don't grow on trees. In other words, regardless of outcome, the learning experience is too rare an opportunity to walk away from.

Sorry to derail-- but this is somewhat relevent, I think. When a friendship goes south, I kind of think that it may be more important to have our kids 'work through' that stuff, since ditching friendships when the going gets rough is going to lead to a lot of lonely times in life otherwise. Best to practice salvage and recovery now. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    it's REALLY hard to know when salvage is the correct approach, and when running as fast as ones' legs can carry one is the correct approach. I don't think I'll ever be in a position to teach that skill... I completely understand what you're saying. I even agree with you. I just don't know how to reconcile that with the fact that I haven't a clue how to tell which is which.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM