Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    P
    petunia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Well, we've been on the Strattera for 5 weeks and I can't say that I can tell a difference. My husband thinks son is expressing his emotions more but that his behavior hasn't changed. We go back to the psychiatrist next week.

I haven't done much since I last posted here - I had knee surgery three weeks ago and have been recuperating from that and a nasty complication.

I did read part of a book titled "10 Steps to Help your Defiant Teen" (or something like that) by Russell Barkley that was recommended to me. It has a behavior modification program that we are considering. I don't know if it will work. I will start looking into a behavioral therapist soon.

Eldertree, thanks for the suggestions for accomodations ideas. I think my husband and I need to agree on the ADHD diagnosis before we approach the school.

He got in trouble today because he was supposed to be doing his homework and I got up to check on him and he was playing a game on his computer (he was supposed to be typing his HW). I had told him no games and then asked him twice if he was playing or working. He got in trouble for cheating and lying about the game playing so I told him he didn't get to go to baseball. Then, he went into a complete tailspin and the rest of the evening was miserable. I think I'd have been better off taking him to baseball and not having to put up with him.

To sum up: I'm still frustrated. I had high hopes for the Strattera.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by petunia
    Well, we've been on the Strattera for 5 weeks and I can't say that I can tell a difference.

That happens. No two drugs work exactly alike, and finding the drug that will work for a given patient can be difficult. Or it may be that the dosage isn't right. Sometimes it takes several trials to find the medication that will make a difference. IMO it matters to find the most expert prescriber you can, and also get the diagnosis pinned down as accurately as possible, so that you know exactly what you're dealing with.

I haven't done much since I last posted here - I had knee surgery three weeks ago and have been recuperating from that and a nasty complication.

I hope you're feeling better. Sometimes the day to day is all one can manage.

I think my husband and I need to agree on the ADHD diagnosis before we approach the school.

It would be good to get agreement on the diagnosis; but the problems are real no matter what you call them. I can't remember now whether the school has evaluated him; but they should, if services and supports are needed. It takes a long time to get that all into place, might as well start.

He got in trouble today because he was supposed to be doing his homework and I got up to check on him and he was playing a game on his computer (he was supposed to be typing his HW). I had told him no games and then asked him twice if he was playing or working. He got in trouble for cheating and lying about the game playing so I told him he didn't get to go to baseball. Then, he went into a complete tailspin and the rest of the evening was miserable. I think I'd have been better off taking him to baseball and not having to put up with him.

Mine does that sort of impulsive thing all the time too. At our house, we wouldn't typically take away an outside social activity-- we feel that DS needs the practice and it's not connected to the infraction. We might suspend leisure computer usage for a few days, though, because it's directly tied to what he did wrong (a natural consequence).

Hang in there.

DeeDee

Z
    Z
    So the school doesn't see it, your husband doesn't see it, one of the more effective ADHD drugs hasn't worked, maybe there is a different conclusion to be had.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    So the school doesn't see it, your husband doesn't see it, one of the more effective ADHD drugs hasn't worked, maybe there is a different conclusion to be had.

Actually, Strattera is one of the *less* effective meds. But often chosen for people who are anxious, because it's a non-stimulant.

I'm all in favor of Petunia seeking better diagnostic refinement when she is up to it; but everything points IMO to something neurological being seriously in the way of her DS's managing his behavior.

DeeDee

M
    M
    I realise my child is just one child... But the only clear impact stimulant medication had on my DD was reducing her anxiety and improving her mood. If the anxiety is caused by the inattention...

V
    V
    A behaviour management approach that our neuropsychologist recommended for my DS12 (ADHD, with some ODD type behaviour) is "collaborative problem solving" outlined in The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. I find the approach very helpful, although it takes practice and planning. I think it is particularly good for kids with advanced verbal reasoning skills. None of the reward/punishment approaches worked very well for us.

Here is the author's website:

http://www.livesinthebalance.org/

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM