Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    oh I'm so sorry you have this additional stress.

big hugs.

BTDT. Divorced and dealt with a PITA ex-husband. It gets better as time passes. Every time my ex would say or do something stupid like that I would thank him for reminding me why I divorced him in the first place.

Glad you are confident that you will prevail in the visitation issue. I'm sure you will. Hang in there. Don't let him pull you down - it only gives him satisfaction.

Cheers. Hope the wine is a good year!

That's funny Debbie. What does PITA stand for? I'm picturing a EX gyro sandwich!

The wine.........only the best for my i-friends. Have a glass!

<clink>

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by dajohnson60
    Every time my ex would say or do something stupid like that I would thank him for reminding me why I divorced him in the first place.

I KWYM, dajohnson, I just wish he didn't remind me that often. tired

Anyway, thank you all of you for the hugs, laughs, support and e-wine. I feel much better already. grin

My dd and I are going to the beach to rellerblade (need to work on those social issues! LOL)

Hope you all have a great Sunday.

A
    A
    Bianca

Is this just another ploy for him not to help pay? You have had this battle before and the court agreed with you about her needs, emotional state and so on. Breathe deep, drink that wine and take the high road.

It is easier when you know you're in the right, isn't it? Just keep reminding yourself as much!

frown

K-

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I tell my kids that above-level testing (SCAT, EXPLORE, SAT/ACT) is an "opportunity" for them to challenge themselves, not a forced requirement. You're the good guy, seeking & providing opportunities. I also see it as an interesting way to spend one Saturday morning, when they otherwise would have been watching cartoons, or doing nothing (fighting with their broters). Not a big deal, not much investment of time, money, etc. My H has come around, but originally didn't see why they'd want to do it. Same for the summer institutes--he thought, wouldn't kids prefer normal camp where they swim, play, campfire? We've done that, too, and it's fine, but the problem with it is that my kids are placed with agemates who can be annoying to them (not the same interests, not much in common). The real connection with peers is at the institutes, and my kids are hungry for that interaction with professors and peers & level of learning. You're just looking out for best interests of your daughter, trying to help meet her needs. The only way I have been able to convince H of this is by his witnessing the results. At first I just requested he let DS try it and I'd never ask it again. Now he doesn't have objections.

You may never convince your ex of this mentality, but don't get discouraged about seeking appropriate opportunities for your daughter. Maybe your daughter will be able to speak up for herself with him as she gets older.

Patience and perseverence--I wish you both.

OP Offline
    So we had our court hearing today. Everything went great. My XH has been asked by the court to start helping with the driving to/from school for my DD.

The judge specifically asked him about the paragraph mentioned above and found my DD is not "being pushed" too much. Can you believe my XH thought the Davidson Young Scholar was an on-line school? I think he is a little confused with CTY.

The judge said he could see I was a very smart women and warned him that Harvard might be calling on my dd at a very early age. I think he (the judge) is a little bit in awe at my dd's acomplishments. He questioned me about my dd being in the .1% and seemed really impressed. He tried to convey those feelings to my XH but was not sucessful.

Anyway, Custody didn't change except for he now has to pick up my dd from school on days he has visitation instead of me picking her up and driving her to his home. I still hold final decision making on any academic or legal issues. All in all everything went well. I think the judge trusts me more when it comes to making academic decisions for my dd as my XH looks clueless when that is concerned.

Last edited by bianc850a; 04/22/08 07:34 PM.
    Good. It sounds like a judge who gets it. Excellent! Yay, you! laugh

Kriston
    Wonderful! What a nice understanding judge.

I bet Ex doesn't like the driving part. Too bad wink

LMom
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM