Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    We really need to know whether or not these frames are going to be filled and painted. What kind of wood is this, hmmm? That might provide us with a clue. wink Pine or aspen is likely to just be painted, and there we might not care... walnut or some exotic hardwood might be more likely to be used with a translucent finish. The joinery would need to be far more exacting in the latter case.

If we assume that the frames are being made from a nice wood with translucent finish, then I doubt anyone is going to accept a frame that has pieces from two different boards. The grains wont even be close to matching at the corners. If that's the case, 4 frames requires 4 boards.

Originally Posted by Dude
    This is why I assumed a high-quality worker and tools for the problem.

Since the question was posed to a child, instead of assuming a highly skilled craftsman with expensive tools, I assumed a child using their family's tools, making poor cuts that required significant sanding.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    Bryan has three $60 bills. Which expression shows how much money he has?
    A. 60/3
    B. 60-3
    C. 60+4
    D. 60x4

I am willing to bet that this actually meant to say "Bryan has three identical bills totalling $60," in which case the answer they want is A. Someone started changing the question, but didn't finish. Still ridiculous, of course.

Can I get some of those $60 bills? good stuff!

Originally Posted by DAD22
    Since the question was posed to a child, instead of assuming a highly skilled craftsman with expensive tools, I assumed a child using their family's tools, making poor cuts that required significant sanding.

.... and many, MANY more boards.

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    A. 60/3
    B. 60-3
    C. 60+4
    D. 60x4

I am willing to bet that this actually meant to say "Bryan has three identical bills totalling $60," in which case the answer they want is A. Someone started changing the question, but didn't finish. Still ridiculous, of course.

Oh wait, I get this, I Have a bunch of bills, some of them ARE $60.

So I have -60.00*3 = -180.00 Right?

Hahahahahaha!! I love it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    A. 60/3
    B. 60-3
    C. 60+4
    D. 60x4

I am willing to bet that this actually meant to say "Bryan has three identical bills totalling $60," in which case the answer they want is A.
    The correct answer then would still not be option A, unless the question were also changed to ask which denomination of bills he had.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    E
    E
    Yes, you're right - I didn't rewrite the whole question, because I was too lazy for that. I did say that they revised it halfway.

This is actually a skill that I developed over the years relating to standardized testing, possibly because my mother was a teacher and so I was exposed to a lot of test design theory over the years. When none of the answers are correct for what the test actually asks, the next step is to go back and think about what they might have meant to ask but not written down literally. If there is an answer that fits that, choose it and move on. It worked for me - generally I do very well on standardized multiple choice tests, even today.

I dunno. It's pretty close between A and D in my opinion, under the LFU analysis. B and C are obviously just wrong, going by the definition "Even a scallop should know better", unless one hypothesizes a typo substituting "-" for "X" in B.

Now I think C must actually be the answer, as it was obviously intended to wind up a trick or perhaps Zen-flavored question:

"How many roads must a person walk down, with three $60 bills in her pocket?"

"I have investigated that old woman! 60 + 4."

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    L
    L
    OK, DS just brought his test home and the question had been changed to "Dave has 4 $20 bills". Whew!

However, I had to laugh at this question and DS's answer because I can't tell if it was the intended response or not.

Sasha wants to make necklaces for her 3 friends. She needs 49 beads to make each necklace. Sasha has a new pack of 144 beads. She uses estimation to see if she has enough beads.
    Sasha rounds the number of beads to 40 and multiplies by 3. Sasha decides that 144 beads would be enough to make necklaces for her friends. Is Sasha correct? Explain or show your answer.

I can't tell if the kids were supposed to challenge her estimation procedure or not. Because if you don't, then you would conclude that she does have enough beads since 3x40=120 which is less than 144. But DS said, no she's not correct because she should have rounded to 50 not 40 and then she would have realized she didn't have enough beads.

Clearly, the correct answer to the question, but I honestly can't tell if they intended the kids to figure that out (seems like kind of a trick question for 4th grade math) or if DS's answer just politely points out, "hey, you messed up the question again!" smile

Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM