Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    For some background - DD7 has always been very verbal and I always have other parents commenting how bright she is. In preschool, we sent her to Montessori and she thrived. She was curious, loved all of the activities, and learned so much from the older kids in the class. For K we switched to Catholic school. It was ok. We knew it would be a transitional year. In 1st grade she started to act out by talking out of turn, and got in trouble quite a bit. DD also procrastinated doing homework which was word sorts, writing sentences, or a math workbook. The work was not hard for her but she hated doing it. Now in 2nd grade, we have the same issue. A bigger concern is that she is not enjoying school.

We decided to have her tested and she did well on the WISC-IV (superior or very superior for all subtests except for processing speed which was average).

The most frustrating part is that we received a progress report today and for reading she received a "P" for progressing. DD was reading in preschool. Now she is progressing? Really?

So I need some help figuring out what is going on and what to do about it.

Is this a classic case of a bored kid in school?
    Is it a teaching issue at the school?
    Might DD have a LD or ADHD that is not obvious?
    There is a great GT program in our area - should we even try to apply or are we setting DD up for too much competition? I'm concerned about getting in because of her grades and we need a recommendation.
    Has anyone had this issue in earlier grades and resolved it? What worked?

Thanks for your help and advice!

F
    F
    Can you share her scores including the subtest scores?

Thanks

P
    P
    Originally Posted by VirginiaMom
    The most frustrating part is that we received a progress report today and for reading she received a "P" for progressing. DD was reading in preschool. Now she is progressing? Really?

I wouldn't worry about this. When my son went to first grade he was reading at a 4th grade level and the first progress report showed that he was "still developing", then the next one said "progressing". I talked to a teacher friend and she told me that teachers always do that because if they give the student a "developed" or whatever, then they have no room to show that THEY have made progress with the child. So, it's about the teacher, not your child.

It sounds like she is bored. Regarding the gifted school, I would check it out carefully to see exactly what they are offering. I looked at a "gifted school" and discovered that it was really a prep school and offered a "More of the Same" attitude.

I hope you get some more help here.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    G
    G
    Time for a conference with the teacher. You need to know what's going on there before you can progress to the rest of your questions.

V
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks for your help with this! We met with the principal and had a phone conference with the teacher. The principal sees DD as a bright student and seemed more than willing to work with us. She admitted that DD might not fit into the academic "box" for the school. The teacher does not seem to recognize her as a bright student and focuses more on behavior issues. DD is very outgoing and talks a lot! We have an in-person conference scheduled in a few weeks. In the meantime we are spending a lot of time teaching the concepts behind what she is learning in school and trying to make it fun. We are also adding the extra things she is interested in (science) to keep her little mind going.

WISC-IV Scores
    Verbal Comprehension 121
    similarities 17 (99)
    vocabulary 13 (84)
    comprehension 11 (63)
    Perceptual Reasoning 131
    block design 15 (95)
    picture concepts 15 (95)
    matrix reasoning 15 (95)
    Working Memory 120
    digit span 12 (75)
    letter-number seq. 15 (95)
    Processing Speed 109
    coding 12 (75)
    symbol search 11(63)
    FSIQ 127

DD was tired on the day of the WISC so she recently took the SB5. We are waiting for the report.

V
    OP Offline
    V
    In my search for answers, I have come across information about visual-spatial learners. Could it be that DD7 is a strong visual-spatial thinker? This link was on another thread and it matches her personality fairly well. http://www.giftedservices.com.au/visualthinking.html

Can you share examples of your visual spatial learners and any challenges you had with them in school? Techniques for getting through the routine coursework would be helpful. Also, what school settings are best?

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM