Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #141123 10/22/12 06:49 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My older daughter has just had yet another round of testing, looking at Aspergers. She came out flat and exhausted and came down with a pretty impressive fever the next day. Which always gives you a warm fuzzy feeling about spending more money on an IQ test in a child with clear unpredictability on the best of days... She's not remotely HG, we know that, but in some respects this is her worst result, which is unfortunate as it will be her last IQ test and the one we need to use for highschool applications etc.

My question is - with a 30 point / 61% spread between VCI and WMI should the FSIQ have been calculated? I thought this fell into the "could not be calculated" range of difference?

We don't have any subtest scores just the indexes:

VCI 124
    PRI 123
    PSI 112
    WMI 94
    FSIQ 120

The GAI is still not going to fall into the gifted range, I think it would be 126 or 127? Is there any point in asking for the GAI to be calculated when she's not going to pass 130 anyway?

I don't know whether to leave it as is or ask for the FSIQ to be removed, and whether to ask for the GAI or not.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I would ask for the GAI to be calculated. I'd also ask for the subtest scores. As for the FSIQ, technically, it should not be reported.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for your thoughts! This guy is very old school and following the guidelines that say parents should never see the subtest scores. I am lucky he didn't give me only percentiles. We were using him for the ASD assesment, he wanted to do a fresh IQ test as part of the process and we agreed. I now regret that.... It's a long and complicated tale as to why we used him, he's very well respected and very good in many ways, I just wouldn't have chosen him for IQ testing if that was all we wanted. It's a pain to have a 1yr old IQ test that gives her a FSIQ of 131 that we now can't use (done with a tester she liked and came out buzzing from, and on a day she wasn't sick).

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I wouldn't pay this guy until he gives you a *full* report, including subtest scores, because honestly, that's where the information is.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you use the older test?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I believe the regulations of the registering body in Australia actually prohibited or strongly recommend against providing subtest scores. I would like them because I like numbers and it would be nice to do a direct comparison with her last WISC (which also did not come with subtest scores and it was extremely difficult to get them). But really I have all the data I need on this child, I already know that she's going to have had significant scatter with in the sub tests...

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Wow, I'm glad I don't live in Australia. Why on earth would they prohibit providing subtest scores? That's crazy.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    She last did the WISC three years ago, she did the sb5 one year ago, we expected that to be her last test. I do find it annoying that Australian psychologists are so anti providing parents with all the data. Some are more flexible than others.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM