Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Does anyone here know what level to test with for the Iowa Acceleration Scale above level test? I mean, if your child is in 3rd, looking to skip 4th do you test with 4th grade or 5th grade? One year ahead of current level or two?
    We used two years ahead, but the tester noted this was an exception because there was no test for one year ahead (kindergarten) at the time we tested. I don't have my manual - donated it to the school and never replaced it!
    Thanks - someone on another board is asking for the info.

Originally Posted by Iowa acceleration Scale, 2nd edition Manual
    P 38:
    On an above-level test, the scores scores earned are compared to the grade level for which the test was developed. For example, when a fourth grader is administered a sixth-grade Iowa Test of Basic Skils (TBS) the scores should be compared ot sixth-gade national norms...

p 57 When calculating points, you must use an above-level test. Scores from individual tsting as well as group testing are appropriate. Use the score that will best assist in making acceleration decision (typically the most recent, if more than one score is available). Scores from test administered within the last year should be used. The percentile ranking for the test score will be used to determine the appropriateness of acceleration. Use the percentile rank from the above-level comparison group.

Some listed tests include ITBS/EXPLORE/ACT/CAT/Pllus/SAT/SCAT or CTP-IV Remember that the scores should not exceed eight (points)

The tests are scored in such a way that no points are earned for a test below 50%, half credit point is earned from scores between 50% and 75%, and full points are earned for points above the 75th percentile, in the various subject areas.

HTH
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Thanks! I knew someone would have info but sure didn't expect a direct quote from the manual! wink

Dottie: this what I recalled, that the manual really doesn't say what level to use compared to the age level of the child. But it certainly does matter how far ahead you test, since the scale specifically awards higher points (supporting grade acceleration) to higher scores. So a school could certainly manipulate numbers and try to hold a child back by testing too high, not considering the actual level of the test, couldn't they?

I agree that the 4th grade level was perfect for MrWiggly. This question was actually for someone on another board who is dealing with a school where the psychologist and social worker "administered" the IAS and then presented the info to the parents as a done deal and NOT supporting a grade skip.

I thought it makes sense to just use the next year's test, to see how the child would compare to the class going into the same grade you are planning to have the accelerated child go in to. So that a 3rd grader who tests in the top percentiles of a 4th grade test would certainly be appropriate academically to skip 4th and enter 5th. I suppose you could argue that a 3rd grader who tests in the top percentiles on a 6th grade test is ready to enter 7th grade (or at least do 7th grade level work academically). Isn't that the general logic of using above level testing??

Dottie - I'm nearly comatose at this point so I probably shouldn't even try to figure this out but here goes anyway. Let's just suppose a 2nd grader (near the end of the year) scores 50th% on a 5th grade test, then it would OK for that child to skip TO 4th grade? If that child scores 50th% on a 4th grade test, then that child should NOT skip to 4th grade? If that child scores 95th% across the board on a 3rd grade test, that child should go into 3rd grade and not 4th?

Dazey

I was referring to your statement about not skipping to a grade if a child wasn't in the 90s in most subjects. DH thinks DSalmost 5 should be skipped. I'm considering getting the IOWA book to see how he might come out. Our district doesn't do grade skips but the info might give me the push to HS him.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    I was referring to your statement about not skipping to a grade if a child wasn't in the 90s in most subjects. DH thinks DSalmost 5 should be skipped. I'm considering getting the IOWA book to see how he might come out. Our district doesn't do grade skips but the info might give me the push to HS him.

Dazey-
    I think the IOWA book was one of the most useful ones to me when I was a newbie - it explained the difference between an 'IQ' test, and an achievement test, and an 'above-level' test. That really helped me sort things out.

I think your proposed use is a wonderful way to use the Manual. You district may still not 'do gradeskips' by perhaps with the information in there, they would do subject accelerations, which are better for some kids, and almost always part of the whole package for HG/PG kids.

Also - if you do HS, and you aren't a total 'unschooler' you'll have to know where to start looking for learning materials, so having that information at your fingertips is a help.

There is such thing as a test which changes as the child takes it - those tests are the best of all IF they give detailed feedback. For example, on NWEA's MAP test, a child can be great at some aspects of Math, and need help in others, and they can give you really detailed feedback. Same with Language Arts. Aleks.com also offers an online teaching resource that can be used in this way, for Math, and don't be put off by the fact that they 'say' they start in 3rd grade Math.

What we, our schools, and our children really need is to have tests that reveal in detail what the child knows, what the child doesn't know, and a suggestion about what they might be ready to learn next. I call this teaching to a child's 'readiness level.' My kid was ready to learn about how our government works long before he could tell time. He was on a different developmental path than most people can concieve of.

We weren't in a position to homeschool him, but I think I would made sure he could do elementary school stuff at grade level, hothoused touch typing, and then 'unschooled' him with the rest of the time availible. Of course, every thing looks simple when one doesn't have to actually do it, yes?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    An additional consideration may be that achievement tests are also a reflection of what the child has been taught. I know that they also demonstrate aptitude above level, but I can�t help but reason that if two children are equally gifted, but one is lock-stepped and one is subject accelerated, the child with more advanced instruction will test higher in that subject after a period of time.

Last year, my DS (then 10) and locked-stepped in Saxon Math through 5th grade, scored at the 97th percentile for grade level achievement and the 75th percentile against 8th grade norms for the math subtest of the Explore. According to �Developing Math Talent�, a score at the 50th percentile warrants enrichment and a score at or above the 75th percentile warrants subject acceleration. After one year of grade accelerated instruction, he took the Explore test again and earned a 98th percentile against 8th grade norms.

Both years, he scored beyond his educational experience, but I don�t think he could have improved to that degree, without some additional exposure and instruction. I guess my conclusion is that if a child scores at or above the 75th percentile on an above level test, they may very well have the aptitude to learn fast and well enough with higher level instruction to catch-up to the 90th+ percentile after one year.

For reasons that I can�t explain, I feel that math may be the most instruction/exposure dependant subject. For example, DS had scored much higher in science reasoning last year, but that subtest does seem more a measure of reasoning ability than science knowledge.

Anyway, these are just my personal opinions and conclusions.

oh my aching head ... overload overload overload

OK, so ... GT said district does not accelerate. She further went on to say that *they* think "but what will the child do in the next grade?" She rolled her eyes etc and basically told me she doesn't agree w/ this policy but it is what it is.

This is all so new to me. Basically I have a 2nd grade boy who has been bored out of his mind for 3yrs. Well 1st grade wasn't bad as the teacher was more project based and did fun math games so even though their was no acceleration in math, the games were fun.

I had him tested by a private psych to see where he is. He tested MG based on FSIQ w/ WISCIV, but hits DYS partial qualifications based on VCI. Teacher says he is advanced in all areas and she is recommending him for gifted program due to his level of science, math, and reading ability. Creative thinker, out-the-box thinker, mature for his age, etc etc. Gifted program is 1hr/week pullout for enrichment.

The next step I was going to take was WJIII achievement testing to see where DS is. I don't see him getting DYS scores on that nut I guess I could be wrong as I was on IQ. I realize WJIII is a different type of achievement test than an above-grade level test.

We have no private school options nearby. We are considering HSing.

Given that nutshell, what further testing and grade level would you recommend? Move ahead w/ WJIII? SCAT testing? But we don't have any other achievement scores to qualify to take the SCAT so I guess we'd have to do the WJIII anyhow. Explore test?

HELP!

Dazey

So sign up for SCAT testing through CTY talent search? Which grade level? If he's end of 2nd grade (should I think of as beginning of 3rd grade), should I sign up for 5th grade? Oh that just sounds way too high.

And honestly, I don't think he needs a full grade skip. I think what he needs is curriculum compaction.

I see there is a May 13 deadline for Talent search application, followed by June 15 test registration and test date of June 30. That gives me some time to digest all this and come up with a plan. We likely won't get to WJIII testing until summer.

Yes I can see how a grade skip is easier to implement than compacting.

Dazey

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM