Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Are you in a state where you can just give him a higher test...without counting him as being in +Xth grade?

I assume so. I don't know how the powers-that-be respond to giving a child a harder test than required, especially one that doesn't match the grade-level you put on their "we're going to homeschool" letter at the start of the year.

The oversight is really minimal/nonexistent, so I suspect I can pretty much do whatever I want, provided it's harder and not easier.

HSers tend to frown on giving above-grade tests though, since it will tend to drag down the numbers which always look so rosy for HSers. But I'm a rebel, so that doesn't bother me much! wink

Lorel, if you're reading this, what do you do? Do you give grade-level tests?

Kriston
    What about states where you have to have a portfolio with examples of what the child has done during the year? Do some states accept grade-level testing as an acceptable sign the child has learned the material for X grade?

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, we don't have access to the "official" state test. We give either the Iowa Test of Basic Skills or the California one (the CAT, I think? Not sure...) These are accepted by the state and are reasonably easy to order.

But we have to order it, pay for it, administer it (or pay someone to do so), and return it to the test company ourselves.

I don't know anyone who gives an above grade-level test. Even my homeschooling friends with GT kids give grade-level tests. Their attitude is, "It's a hoop, just jump through it and be done with it."

There's a logic to that, but there's also a strong sense of BOREDOM!

Kriston
    I'm feeling a little lost as far as context on the testing. Where was this conversation started?

Never mind- I found it!

Every state is different, so I think you really need to investigate the situation as it applies to your state. I don't feel like I can offer general advice on this one. I'm fortunate enough to live where there are not a lot of hoops to jump, so I can't say whether a homeschool grade skip might be beneficial or not.

One thing you may want to bear in mind is that a grade skip will put your son at a slight disadvantage when it comes to special awards, talent search and academic competitions. These are usually grade specific, and not just organized according to age.

My family usually tests each Spring for our own information. We do order "up" 2-4 years. It's not a perfect solution though, as I'd really love to have the option of ordering every subject's testing ala carte. DD gets math anxiety if we go too far ahead, but it is never enough on the verbal side for her.

Not sure of that was helpful after all. Sorry! Wish I had more to tell you.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Lorel: The real question is, can I test "up" with DS without officially skipping him a grade? Or is he in the grade for the test I order?

Is that decided on a state-by-state basis? I've never seen anything about it before anywhere.

OHG: I missed your question. I know in our state, you can use the portfolio method. I just haven't chosen to. I have to save stuff, and I'm not that organized. Then I have to meet with someone, and I'm not thrilled about having to "prove" what we've done for a whole year to someone in the span of an hour or two. The score DS has to get to pass the test is obscenely low--like a 28% or something you could easily get by random guessing!--so giving him the test is the obvious, easy choice.

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'll have to check, Dottie. Obviously I wasn't too worried about how well he'd do, so I haven't been too picky about the details...

I just checked: above the 25th percentile is passing. You got it right. I'm SUCH a newbie! blush

The only subtest that is anything even remotely like trouble for us there will be the Listening section. If I had thought DS6 were an auditory learner, I would now have evidence that he is not. (And for the record, I already knew! Oh, I SOOOOO knew!) He missed more in that section than he missed in the whole rest of the gazillion subtests combined!

Reasons I have to say everything 6 times... crazy

Kriston
    Kriston-

I do understand your specific question, but I am afraid I don't know the answer. Since every state and in some states every individual district has it's own policies, it is impossible to say what out of level testing would mean.

If you contact your state homeschool organization, maybe they can help you out with this. I'm sure it has come up before!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Sorry to seem the pest. Since your answer focused on the ramifications of grade-skipping, which I don't technically want to do--one of the reasons I'm HSing is because I don't want to grade-skip him!--I figured I wasn't being clear. I want to give him the harder test but still keep him in his age-based grade.

AKA, I want to have my cake and eat it, too, I think. wink

Anyway, thanks for your help! smile

Kriston
    E
    E
    Kriston,
    If the tests are not too expensive, why not order the age appropriate test and give it now for end of term and then at some point over the summer do the out of level test to see where he really is? Maybe he would think of it as a pretest for next year's curriculum?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM