Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
    Welcome, Catherine!

Originally Posted by CatherineD
    Graham's obsession (as we jokingly call it) with numbers, letters...now progressing to how words (all of them!) are spelled, and the concept of telling time has been completely self directed. We answer his question, provide him with computer time (limited), a never ending supply of books, etc, but never really sit down and drill him per se.

Our DS6 has always been a kid with "obsessions," which is what we called them, too. LOL! As long as they're child-directed--as it sounds like they are for you, too--you're not hothousing. You're just following his needs where they take you.

Originally Posted by CatherineD
    I have no idea what to do. I am at a loss. As each day passes and the mental jumps he makes get larger and larger, I get more scared that I'm really going to screw this up. Either by downplaying it too much for fear of being labeled as one of "those" parents, or focusing too much on it and not giving him the normalcy I want him to have.

What you're doing is exactly right. It is scary, but you're doing fine! Don't overdo the pressure (and I can say that because I have felt it!). He's a kid and you're a mom. Your job is to be sure his needs are covered, regardless of what those needs are, just like any other mom does with her kids. Is it a challenge? Sure. But you are already demonstrating that you're up to the challenge! laugh

I joke that I KNOW I'm going to screw up my kids--I'm a mom and that's our job! LOL! But I try to remain consistent in HOW I screw them up so that they save money on therapy later. It's a lot easier to fix one thing that's broken than lots of things. grin

But seriously, all you can do is your best. If you're trying and you're being self-reflective about it, you're doing all you can do, and that's all a kid really needs. Love, limits, and parents who are trying their best.

I will say that I came to the conclusion fairly early that I had two choices: be seen as one of "those" parents, or have my child become one of "those" kids. I opted to carry that particular burden. I think it pays to make the decision early, because worrying about how you're perceived and effective parenting don't go very well together in my experience. FWIW...

Anyway, welcome! smile

Kriston
    C
    C
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the reassuring words. I appreciate both very much.

On this topic, I just finished reading an interesting book some of you might have see, Hothouse Kids. The author is a former GT kid and she seems to have a bit of a complex about it. Although some of her conclusions are sound (the need for expanding gifted identification to minority students), the overall tone of the book was that overbearing parents were pushing their kids due to their own warped motivations and ruining these kids childhoods.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi CatherineD,
    I hope the book assures you that you AREN'T what she's talking about, yes?

I think that 'Hothouse Parent' is mostly a ploy to encourage parents of gifted kids to feel badly about themselves, and I sure hope that you don't 'downplay' your child's difference in hopes of 'being able to pass.'

If you are finding Houthouse Kids a downer, try reading "High IQ Kids" by Kay, Robson, and Brenneman or 'Losing Our Minds, Gifted Chidren left Behind' by Ruf. I don't think you need to scare yourself by finishing HHK.

What else have you read?
    There are some nice toddler threads here under the 'underserved population' area.

Welcome Dear,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I agree with Grinity. "Passing" (or more usually, trying to pass and failing) is overrated and unhealthy to your child and to you. (Not that you were necessarily going that route. But if you were...)

I think this is the hand life dealt us/you. You can capitalize on it or bear it as a burden. Your choice.

And BTW, neither of those choices necessitates becoming an intellectual stage mom, which is mostly urban legend, I think. It's a cautionary tale used to keep parents of GT kids from getting uppity. But from what I've seen, moms of GT kids are not the ones buying up the Baby Einstein stuff. We're racing along behind our kids, just trying to keep up with them!

Kriston
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    And BTW, neither of those choices necessitates becoming an intellectual stage mom, which is mostly urban legend, I think. It's a cautionary tale used to keep parents of GT kids from getting uppity.

Thanks Kriston!
    That's what I was trying to say - but you said it better!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Nah, not better, just different. smile But I did want to back you up because I think you make a very important point there!

Kriston
    Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM