Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    DD is skipping from 3rd to 4th on Monday in our school's first ever grade skip after much advocacy. She really wants the move but is nervous about it. So am I for that matter, especially since we are the pioneers. Can anyone give me BTDT guidance about what a good transition should look like? Any suggestions at all would be welcome. What should DD expect? How can I best support her?

G
    G
    We had a tranisition plan written by the school for DS' subject acceleration and then his whole grade skip. It outlined details like where he'd sit, who would take charge of making sure he knew the routine (could be a 4th grader in your case), and which administrators would monitor his progress and at what frequency.

For 3-> 4, it might be useful to meet the teacher first so that the teacher can think about buddying her up with another girl in the class for a short while.

T
    T
    Congratulations! My DD was moved from K to 1st Grade after the 1st week of school. In 4th Grade, she was also telescoped into 5th Grade Math after the 1st Six Weeks of school. (We did not want to do another full grade skip.) Everything went smoothly. DD's school gave the option of undoing the skips on the front end. Knowing that everything could be changed back seemed to give my DD additional courage. It was an easy transition in both cases. Most of the kids in her grade will think it is pretty cool. Grades were no problem...DD was at the top of the class even with the skip. A word of caution though...At my DD's school in 4th Grade, the girls start to get mean, so you may want to keep an eye out for that as well. (No violence, just exclusionary groups or a snide comment here and there.) I did have some comments from parents that found out that she was grade skipped. I just told them that we did what we thought was best for DD. There will also be a few instances in which her age will hold her back. For instance DD's school is encouraging participation in auditioning for Jeopardy, but DD is too young to compete based on her birthday. frown

Master of None had some great suggestions. I would also ask that your DD be placed next to some really nice kids in class.

Good luck!

L
    lmp Offline
    L
    DD skipped from 1st to 2nd mid year. It was the district's first ever skip.

DD's skip was so smooth I can't imagine a better one. DD just went in and said hi to everyone and that was about it. She's talkative and friendly so it's quite easy. The kids don't have anything against someone grade skipping. Maybe they think it's cool. I do think we should have prepped her for one question. On the first day at recessed a queen bee type asked her why she skipped. Since she wasn't really prepared she said "I'm smart."
    LOL. I told her next time say something like "Oh the teacher suggested I skip." Which was also part true. BTW queen bee and her became very good friends.

A month later I had a big party and she invited everyone. We got to know parents and girls very quickly. Some of them were so cool and the girls all got along well. I still am good friends with the parents in that grade even though now she's skipped again. They thought it was great she skipped and really supported her and invited her over etc.

I'm a pretty open person who likes to have people over and make friends. I like people who are genuine and reciprocate. I found plenty of them once I made the first move. DD's the same way. She makes the first move and kids tend to really open up.

In this last skip into 6th there was no prep. She did announce it on FB. So everyone would know. It worked out great.

N
    N
    You've been given great ideas already. I just thought I'd add that it was the little things that made dd feel like she was the odd one out after her mid-term skip - there was no space for a locker for her so her bag was apart from the rest of he class, she had to share some resources that everyone else had their own copy of and so on. It just made her feel like she wasn't really part of the class until those things were rectified.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM