Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    It's not me if that is what you're asking. It is a distant relative but I know he has really struggled with it during his lifetime. It is a hard condition to cope with, but there is help with medication and therapy.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    And should I be worried?

A couple of months ago, DS4 missed a couple weeks of preschool because of days off/illness. (He only has preschool 2 days/week.) He did not want to return after having so much time off, and he had episodes at the door of the preschool. He would only let go of me if he said "i love you mom" and kissed me about 20 times. I let him do this twice, then I told him he had to get all his i love you's out before we got the the door of his preschool room. Since then, he says "i love you mommy" on each step on the stairway down to his preschool room, and with each step he takes until we get there. At first, I told him that I loved him too, and he didn't have to say it so many times because I knew he loved me even if he didn't say it at all, but he still does it every day of preschool. I just ignore him. Other parents have seen this and said "how cute" and so I try not to look so irritated while I'm ignoring DS4. (Cute once, irritating when it's all the time.)

Should I be worried that this is an OCD behavior? Is there anything I should be doing besides ignoring him? Thanks!

Beyond not worrying, I'd suggest trying to play around with this a bit, only to keep yourself sane.

Example:
    Kid: I love you.
    Mom: I love you too, dear.
    Mom: I love shoes.
    Mom: I love blue. (Baboo, Elephant Poo, Whinnie the Pooh, etc.)

If you can keep your tone friendly, or humorously syrupy, you may be able to get him giggling, which sound sorely needed. Sounds like your darling has found a way to irritate you, and you may not want to let him get away with that, particularly if you can get both of you laughing instead.

This may not work, but it might. Keep asking yourself, if I wasn't worried or irritated, what would I do?

Remember that our little ones can do what every they do about 100 times more intensly than most ND kids. It's normal for them. Mine whistled nonstop for a whole year.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Completely normal, just a game or ritual. I am sure he is having fun and he may do it for a looooong time smile I like Grinity's suggestions, at least you can have fun too grin

LMom
    OP Offline
    Funny, Grinity. I will try this. Because it's true, I do love shoes, and blue, and goo. wink Incidentally, I don't think DS4 is aware that I am irritated by this. He actually doesn't mind going to his class these days, and he will run ahead of me (still saying "i love you mommy!" with each step). He will also keep on a conversation with me in between the I love yous.

But I'll go for it and try to get him laughing. That might just work. (That reminds me of how he had a peculiarity in his speech when he was 2 - he didn't say esses in the beginning of words. Since all of us in his family understood what he meant, we would respond, repeating the words with the correct s sound in the beginning, figuring he'd catch on some day. He told a friend of ours he asked 'anta for an automatic 'anitizer 'oap dispenser for christmas. She smiled and repeated back exactly as he said it. DS laughed and from then on started saying all his esses. Humor does get to him.)

Grinity - i feel for you with the yearlong whistling! If that ever happens around here, we're in trouble - DH has sound sensitivities and can't stand whistling! Of course, that means I have to whistle sometimes...

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/17/08 08:39 PM.
    OP Offline
    LMom - now that i have written my last response, I think you may be right. Could be just a game for him. Could be worse things than repeated i love yous!

The more you describe it, the less it sounds like the behavior is born of anxiety. As I understand it, anxiety is the hallmark of OCD: "If I don't do this, something terrible will happen. Even if my conscious mind knows that my fear is ridiculous, I MUST repeat this action so that nothing bad will happen."

I just don't see it.

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM