Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 159 of 268 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 267 268
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    Bear (my 2e super sensitive, ultra-timid, anti-group and VERY anti-group movement activities kiddo) just had his first all charter play practice. I had been ready for all sorts of problems and you know what I got? After an initial bout of basic shyness he JOINED IN!!! Laughing, smiling, making eye contact, hamming it up... in a group.... in a group that was milling and following director's instructions... with students he didn't know... with a teacher he didn't know... I'm so beside myself I can't even type sensibly. I'm actually crying as I write this. It was nothing short of miraculous!

that is so great! I hope DS4 and DS2 will be able to join in like that someday too!

U
    U
    Another fabulous milestone: on a 2-hour drive, both kids were dead silent most of the time because both were reading to themselves. (Meanwhile, DH and I had a civil, uninterrupted conversation sotto voce in the front seat. Yessss!) Boy, this "two kids who can really read" thing is the bomb.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Don't know if this qualifies as a brag... it's more like a developmental moment of self awareness... by my adorable DS8 just announced that Zane is his favourite Lego Ninjago character because "he's strange and smart."

(Hmmm. Kindred spirit? wink )

F
    F
    Last year (April 2011) EJ was reading Biscuit books. Last year, kindergarten, he started in guided reading level "d" and finished on "j". This year, in first grade, he was assessed at a level "n". I think his reading is starting to catch up with his math!

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Boy, this "two kids who can really read" thing is the bomb.

Ooo, I'm so jealous! I can't wait for my kid to become a fluent reader. It's like having a pre-potty-trained toddler -- part of me doesn't believe the day will ever come.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Another fabulous milestone: on a 2-hour drive, both kids were dead silent most of the time because both were reading to themselves. (Meanwhile, DH and I had a civil, uninterrupted conversation sotto voce in the front seat. Yessss!) Boy, this "two kids who can really read" thing is the bomb.

It can backfire, however, when your reading -riders heave all over the backseat from newly onset carsickness brought about by (you guessed it) READING in the car. Sigh.

Actually...what I mean yo say is : congrat s!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    Last year (April 2011) EJ was reading Biscuit books. Last year, kindergarten, he started in guided reading level "d" and finished on "j". This year, in first grade, he was assessed at a level "n". I think his reading is starting to catch up with his math!

Yay for advanced reading! I'm really curious where ds will fall on his reading eval - we do the letter system here also.

OK, I've joined this board for my ds who has the "classic" gifted signs : very eary reader /mathy-sciency /incessant questioning.

But my dd2.5 blew me away yesterday, after coming to me with a "peanut butter" face, I told her she needed to go get a napkin and wipe her hands and face (but we were out of napkins in the usual place). So, I told her she needed to get into the drawer in the table on the left to get a napkin ...and she
    understood this and did it!

I could see her computing the instructions. My ds was late with this type of multi-direction following, so it's fun yo see dd excel in her own way!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    It can backfire, however, when your reading -riders heave all over the backseat from newly onset carsickness brought about by (you guessed it) READING in the car. Sigh.

BTDT. My girls love to read and do logic puzzles, etc., in the car, but we've had to switch to audiobooks instead.

Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    BTDT. My girls love to read and do logic puzzles, etc., in the car, but we've had to switch to audiobooks instead.

Indeed. Put me on a boat, and I'm fine. Put a book in my face in a car, and I'm nauseous. My DD and DW read in the car all the time, and I don't know how they do it.

E
    E
    Yep...the Dvd player is our saving grace on tgr frequent 15+hour drives we take as family is quite far.

Incidental: I had never experienced car sickness when I became quite ill on a drive back from a grad school interview in D.C. My fiance wryly suggested it may have been the two -plus hour reading of the Washington Post's classified section that caused the issue.

Touche.

Page 159 of 268 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM