Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #140383 10/14/12 05:30 PM
    S
    SMB4181 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    OMG - I am seriously at my wits end with my children. I have 2 sons - 6 & 2. My eldest appears to be gifted or maybe 2E - further testing needs to be conducted. I believe my youngest is also displaying signs of being gifted - even more so than his brother. Both of them are so very full on - talking & wanting to ask questions all the time & they are also very physically active. Both husband & I work full time & we are finding the amount of work out children need is exhausting. Work is like a rest ha ha ha.

How does everyone cope???

M
    M
    It's tough. I feel like by the end of the day, I'm always exhausted just from answering all the questions and helping with all the projects! I've found that structured activities that stimulate their minds help a lot. Music lessons, science camps.....whatever they are interested in doing. You're never going to completely get a break, but that's a good thing. Just try to remember that it's good for a child to be inquisitive....even if it sometimes makes you want to pull your hair out!

M
    M
    Sounds very much like our boys. All I can say it does get easier. Now when the youngest is 7, it has become so much easier and we have some breathing room. Testing really helped us to better understand both boys. Fortunate for us we did not have to deal with 2E issues, although we have dealt with lot of sensory sensitivity issues with our youngest. Hang in there!

A
    A
    Quiet time.

Seriously,

When my kids were that age, we had quiet time where they were required to rest "so their batteries could regenerate", but it was really because I needed a break from the questions and go, go, go. They could read, play quietly with toys, whatever they liked - ask long as they stayed in their room and it was something that was allowed.

At a meeting to discuss design specs for an app i am making the library, I recently ran into the librarian that worked near the house where we lived then. With great excitement, he proclaimed to everyone else in the meeting, "This is the lady I used to tell you about that would check it like 30 new books every week!"

Those books were vital to my sanity! smile

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I found lots of activities helped. My kids were the most scheduled at that age out of their peers (now we've backed off because at 8 and 9 they can self-regulate and amuse themselves much better). We did so much stuff - I literally could not tire them out. When they were at an activity (say, kinder sport, for an example) I'd be sitting watching, and that was my down time. Mind you, mine are 1.5 years apart so they could be in the same activities and I'm a SAHM, so this would definitely be trickier for you.

Another thing I started doing is waking up REALLY early (5:00 am), before everyone else. I'm an introvert and I really need that alone-recharge time. If I had slept more but spent ALL my waking hours in the company of others, it would have drained me more.

It gets better smile I'm loving 8 and 9. They're independent but still need me sometimes smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM