Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #140090 10/10/12 06:25 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Does anyone know if there is a ceiling for primary MAP? On one sub test EJ scored in the 250's. I am wondering if I should ask them to give him the 2-6 MAP.

Thanks
    Sheila

p.s. I always thought there was none but.. I never thought my kid would score so high either lol

I don't think so. I think the major differences are that the test is heard instead of read (not sure about this) and of course the normal stuff about starting at a different level. But my understanding is that the test is still adaptive and without any ceilings besides the highest possible score in each area (11th grade 99th %ile numbers).

Are you going to advocate for a grade skip for EJ in the coming year? Do you think he'd do well with one?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I am not going for a grade skip ... they wont do it. And I don't want to skip second as I am anticipating him going to the magnet in third. If he skips second and goes directly to the magnet, it would be like a 2 year skip. I am not comfortable with that at this point. His reading, although well above grade level still lags far behind his math. He is in a multi-grade school (1/2, 3/4 5/6) so his class is first and second graders. He is in the top second grade reading group and at a guided reading level 'o'. He does enrichment reading (TAG block) with the second graders as well. He is with first graders for shared reading and spelling. I just can't get the school (district) to budge on math.

I would love for him to see more math challenge. I don't have the sub test breakdown yet (but I did see it at conferences).. he scored in the 250's for numbers/operation and algebra. He scored in the low 200's for geometry and measurement. He does have some gaps. Even these gaps are higher then first grade math.. even second grade math.

I am going to head out today to a teachers store in our area to see if I can find a book on geometry. Looking at the MAP resource site I have (Belle Plaine school district), it looks like he lacks exposure to the material.

C
    C
    I asked this about a week ago and didn't get any answers :-( I've done some looking and I'm now 100% positive there is a ceiling on the 2-5 questions, so I would assume there is also one on the K-2. The ceiling appears to be way out there and it may not be a true ceiling, but rather that you just don't get Descartes Goals for that subtest. I've looked at them and many of them stop in the 240+ range on the 2-5 test. If you look at the 6+ test, the goals stop in the 260+ range.

I haven't looked for K-2 but I assume it is similar. My DS's public school switched everyone to the 2-5 test in 2nd grade in the fall, because many kids were losing focus waiting for the test to read the questions.

Q
    Q
    There is a ceiling for the "regular" MAP so I would imagine there would be the same or an even lower ceiling on the Primary MAP intended for the K-2 grades. Our district started using MAP this year so I am new to all this. However, I remember reading that the scores are not accurate beyond 10th grade level. Someone else mentioned that in general MAP has a 75 percent accuracy in pinpointing the correct level. However, if you take the assesmement a couple of times over a couple of years, then you should get reliable useful data. I am not sure about the Primary MAP, but the regular MAP suscores go up to at least the 280s based on DS' self-reporting.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    ok... here is the sub test break down

I did buy Singapore 3B today as well thinking it addresses some of the "weaknesses" he is showing. He is currently in first grade.

overall score 223 99th percentile 3rd grade... 93rd percentile 4th grade

Number and operations 252 98th percentile 6th grade.. 90th for 8th grade
    measurement and data 209 99th for 2nd grade 91st for third grade
    geometry 195 99th for first grade and 91st for 2nd grade
    algebraic thinking 228 99th 3rd grade.. 97th 4th grade and 86th for 5th grade.

He is all over the place! Anyone have some good websites that address these lower scores specifically?

F
    F
    IXL and Aleks are both broken down into discrete topics like that. Your son would be able to work on the areas where he wants to improve easily on those sites.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I JUST found this on MAP ceilings...

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1nA_PlvjvwFTi5vMwRxlfmmVUJo63pfwn67ZAMHaV4oU

Topping Out the MAP Assessment

Topping Out the MAP Assessment

Is there a ceiling (“topping out”) effect for MAP tests?

The RIT scale does have a ceiling to which it measures. Students who have reached the ceiling should be either moved to the next test level, or if exceeding the topmost RIT level, measured with a different assessment. Factors that determine a ceiling effect include:

Whether the student is operating at the extreme end of the RIT scale - the number of items in the question bank are fewest at the highest and lowest extremes of the RIT scale.
    Which version of MAP is used to test a student - each version of MAP measures a different RIT range

MATH
    Primary 110 ------------------------------> 240

MAP 2-5 160 -----------------------------> 260

MAP 6+ 160 --------------------------------------------------> 320

READING

Primary 110 ----------------------------> 220

MAP 2-5 150 -----------------------------> 250

MAP 6+ 160 ------------------------------------------------> 300

How do I determine which test version a high achieving student should take?

Please note that when a student has been moved to a higher version of MAP testing, they should continue to take that version in future test sessions. Moving back and forth between higher and lower versions of MAP will result in data instability.

A RIT score of 220-240 is the point where it is recommended that students move to 2-5. However, there are three factors to consider when moving a student from Primary MAP to MAP 2-5:

The student is reading on their own
    The student has been exposed to some of the 2-5 content standards
    Teacher is comfortable moving student to higher test version

The 6+ version of MAP contains all the test items that are contained in the 2-5 version, so it is an easier transition to move students at this level. There are five factors that help determine whether to move a student from a 2-5 to a 6+ version of MAP:

If the student is scoring within 10 RIT points of the top of the RIT range measured by the test (250-260 Math/240-250 Reading).
    The student standard error is higher than 4.0
    Student is scoring in the 95-99th percentile
    Student is getting more than 65% of the test items correct (this can be determined at the district level)

At what point is the MAP test no longer effective for measuring student RIT level?

In general, a student scoring at 320 in Math or 300 in Reading has reached the highest valid RIT score possible. An alternate assessment should be used to assess the student scoring at this level.

How accurate are the growth norms for high achieving students?

The growth norms for students scoring at high (and low) levels are valid and reliable as long as they are displayed in reports. If the student is operating at a level where growth norms are no longer valid, the expected growth will be reported as either blank or as an asterisk (*).

last updated: 7/5/2012 weber

information from NWEA Fusion/Les Perry

Published by Google Docs–Report Abuse–Updated automatically every 5 minutes

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM